Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelseamapp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a Black female and a Psychology Major with a minor in Chemistry. I graduated HS with my AA and currently am a Junior at a state school.
My GPA isn't too great, I currently have a 3.6 and this semester was certainly not my best.

However, I have a few Extra Curriculars. I have a few hundred clinical hours volunteering at a local hospital and Hospice. I was historian for Phi Theta Kappa,volunteered with Habitat, and did research. I have also shadowed a few doctors and I am a lifeguard and swim instructor.

This semester I interned at a Genetics Counseling clinic, started my own organization, did some research, and TA'd for Anatomy. I also tutor on the side.
I plan to graduate next fall 2015 and take the MCAT in the spring of 2016 and apply to Med School Summer of 2016.I know my GPA is not the best and this semester I expect to get all B's and 1 A, is there hope for me? I am seriously thinking of getting my masters before entering Medical School, I will still only be 22 with my Masters Degree. Any Advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

your ECs seem good and ur gpa is not horrible but it will most likely drop with mostly B's. 3.6 is the average for US matriculants. what is ur sGPA?
just really try to end with atleast a 3.6.
Is there a reason you are graduating a semester early?

but a 3.6 with a decent mcat >27 should put you in a comfortable spot for acceptance. you do not need a masters to help you get into med school if thats the intention. a 3.6/27 and applying broadly should put you in a good spot

what is ur state of residency?

this table kind of gives you a gauge of the stats of certain ppl with acceptances. although should be taken lightly b/c many factors contribute an acceptance
https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf

Ok so your chances at Harvard may be done but even if you drop to 3.45 with a 28 mcat you are still in great shape most other medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
your ECs seem good and ur gpa is not horrible but it will most likely drop with mostly B's. 3.6 is the average for US matriculants. what is ur sGPA?
just really try to end with atleast a 3.6.
Is there a reason you are graduating a semester early?

but a 3.6 with a decent mcat >27 should put you in a comfortable spot for acceptance. you do not need a masters to help you get into med school if thats the intention. a 3.6/27 and applying broadly should put you in a good spot

what is ur state of residency?

this table kind of gives you a gauge of the stats of certain ppl with acceptances. although should be taken lightly b/c many factors contribute an acceptance
https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf
I'm really supposed to be graduating in the spring of 2015 but i am a little behind.My state of residence is Florida.

Last edited:
I'm really supposed to be graduating in the spring of 2014 but i am a little behind.My state of residence is Florida.
I think youll still be fine. just keep yur gpa up, b/c ur extensive involvement becomes null and void in the eyes of adcoms if you cant keep ur grades solid while doing so

Reactions: 1 user