Question about Clinical competencies, and what if you are deficiency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021acc117

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question about those CCC (Clinical Core Competencies) that the CCC committee completes before each evaluation of a resident. Do you have to have no deficiencies before advancing to the next year? Lets say a PGY1 has like 11/14 competencies met, but 3/14 are deficiencies before finishing the year, does that mean the person does not advance to PGY2? Just wondering. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Typically, there is a promotions committee (or clinical competency committee) that evaluates whether or not a resident can be promoted to the next level. In our residency program, we had a summary of the clinical evaluations shared with the committee, along with ITE scores and other information. We would discuss the resident's performance as a group, and then vote as promotion, promotion with special attention (remediation), or no promotion (probation). Those who were promoted with special attention would have a sit down with the chiefs to talk about what they needed to work on and weren't in any supervisory roles at the beginning of the next PGY year. If there were still concerns after that special attention, then the program began the formal process of remediation--so people who don't get promoted were not completely caught off guard.

Several other factors that come into play when it comes to these evals...

How well do you get along well with staff?
How glaringly, or not, are the deficiencies.

Nobody will be perfect during residency but faculty generally wants to see progression - so if you can prove that, then I wouldn't worry about it as much. How you rub shoulders will also play into whether these deficiencies harm you.

Highly subjective.

I'm on a CCCC. It is not that cut and dry. Someone can be lagging in a certain area and still be advanced. It's more like at the end of the 2nd meeting of the year, we decide individually if each resident can be advanced based on the whole picture.

Hi all, I have a question about those CCC (Clinical Core Competencies) that the CCC committee completes before each evaluation of a resident. Do you have to have no deficiencies before advancing to the next year? Lets say a PGY1 has like 11/14 competencies met, but 3/14 are deficiencies before finishing the year, does that mean the person does not advance to PGY2? Just wondering. Thanks.

It depends.

If there are deficiencies (which are up to the program's discretion to interpret) there are a few ways to go about it.

I'd assume that if they are perceived as unprofessional behavior (i.e. drug abuse, lying, skipping shifts) you are usually placed immediately on corrective action which often entails non-advancement unto the next year. If they are more procedural (you don't gather the data appropriately, your presentations are weak) depending on the extent of the deficiency you can be offered an Improvement Plan where you get a formal list of things you need to improve on and you can be advanced to the next year and given some time to remediate deficiencies and hopefully when the CCC meets and discusses these with you in 3-6 months time, you can graduate the improvement plan and move on with your life. If they don't improve or the CCC fails to see improvement, it's a slow burn to the probation, non-renewal, etc. because ultimately you need to graduate as a safe, competent physician and it's the residency program's job to determine that.

Reactions: 2 users