Question about Canadians attending US Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highclass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen but did my undergrad and grad school in the US and now I am in med school in the US. I am going to be applying for my greencard through my husband, but it will probably take over 5 years for me to get it (he is a permanent resident). I am a first year at a US med school and I am thinking about competative residencies, either surgery or radiology. How realistic is it to obtain a competative residence given my situation? I heard that graduating from a US medical school helps a lot, is this true? What steps do I need to take now in order to prepare for the MATCH process and avoid any problems? Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you have done all the right steps. Basically it helps to do medical school in the US. The only other thing that helps is to become a permenant resident prior to your applications getting out/match - see if there is anything you can do to speed that along. I was a US med school grad and a permenant resident at the time of my application process and match and the fact I was a Canadian citizen was only something interesting to talk about during interviews, didn't factor in either way.
Nof55

highclass said:
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen but did my undergrad and grad school in the US and now I am in med school in the US. I am going to be applying for my greencard through my husband, but it will probably take over 5 years for me to get it (he is a permanent resident). I am a first year at a US med school and I am thinking about competative residencies, either surgery or radiology. How realistic is it to obtain a competative residence given my situation? I heard that graduating from a US medical school helps a lot, is this true? What steps do I need to take now in order to prepare for the MATCH process and avoid any problems? Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Hi there,

I am also a Canadian citizen with US permanent residency. Also did undergrad and grad school in the U.S. I will be going to med school in the US starting next fall. Your best bet to get your green card fast is to have your husband file for naturalization (N-400). I was in the same situation not too long ago. I had to wait to apply to med school in the US until I got my green card. My husband had been a permanent resident for a while (over 5 years) so he finally filed for naturalization. Our timeline was:

End of October 2002: Filed for naturalization
December 2002: Fingerprinting
April 1st, 2003: Approved for naturalization
June 18th, 2003: Swore in and received citizenship certificate
December 5th, 2003: I applied for green card.
Early May 2004: Received my green card.

My process was a real pain because we got married in Montreal so all the paperwork was in French and in need of translation. I probably could have gotten my green card sooner, but I had a work permit until December of 2003 so I didn't feel the need to hurry the process. Also, these time periods are not too bad considering that all of this was filed post 9-11. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to email me. It is not that complicated, but it can be tricky at times.

Good luck to you!

highclass said:
Hello,