Question about breast implants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mh2002ny

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, after working with some plastics residents I'm becoming more and more interested in going into plastics rather than some of the other surgical specialties that I used to be intertested in, so I have a question. Last night I was at a wet t-shirt contest, and the girl that won had an interesting scar. On the inferior sides of her breasts there was a long sagittal scar, not running all the way to the nipple but about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. At the posterior end of this scar, there was a fairly wide horizontal scar. I'm just wondering if this was just a really cheap inframammary submuscular implant job, or it is a case of breast reduction. From what I understand, most implants are done through the periareolar method to reduce scarring, but from what I learned from a plastic surgery resident it can lead to problems with breast feeding. Either way, I think that this was a perfect example of a cheap assembly line boob job. The procedures and follow-ups that I got to observe came of much better, and I don't know how this broad won the contest. I was beastin drunk and I even made those observations. If you ask me, wet t-shirt contest judges need some basic plastics training.

Members don't see this ad.

wow.... u were at a wet t-shirt contest, the girl took off her shirt, and must have about rubbed naked wet self all over you to get that kind of view... and this is all you are telling us?? you were a judge werent you?... dood... u musta been plastered... :rolleyes:

cooldreams said:
wow.... u were at a wet t-shirt contest, the girl took off her shirt, and must have about rubbed naked wet self all over you to get that kind of view... and this is all you are telling us?? you were a judge werent you?... dood... u musta been plastered... :rolleyes:

I don't want this moved to the lounge...so try to keep it serious. I'm just rehashing what the scar looked like...you can just keep using your imagination about how I obtained that visual. Anyway, The reason I'm wondering about this is because the reduction surgeries that I've seen all resulted in a scar leading from the breast fold to the nipple, and this case slightly varied. So I'm wondering if it was a sloppy augmentation or in fact a reduction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just came off my plastics rotation for the year -

It sounds like it was a reduction. The vertical line from the areola inferiorly to the horizontal scar under the breast sounds like what I've seen in most reduction surgeries - it could be that this was an inferior pedicle reduction.

Augmentation is a much smaller scar that is appriximately 2-3 cm and placed on the inferior aspect of the breast and is horizontal.

sounds like a reduction. i've never heard the term "sagittal" scar...I think the term vertical works in this case.

If they were nice-shaped with upper pole fullness breasts I'd offer that they may be scars from a mastopexy ("breast-lift") which often has the same skin-pattern as the classic reduction operation.

droliver said:
If they were nice-shaped with upper pole fullness breasts I'd offer that they may be scars from a mastopexy ("breast-lift") which often has the same skin-pattern as the classic reduction operation.

I think that's it. They were definitely decently shaped with "upper pole" fullness without a bra. Without the mastopexy I would guess that they would have been sagged. Never got to observe one of those procedures yet.

Leforte said:

It sounds like it was a reduction. The vertical line from the areola inferiorly to the horizontal scar under the breast sounds like what I've seen in most reduction surgeries - it could be that this was an inferior pedicle reduction.

Augmentation is a much smaller scar that is appriximately 2-3 cm and placed on the inferior aspect of the breast and is horizontal.

Is that what is referred to as a 'lollipop' scar?

How hard is it to get a plastics fellowship if you come from a midrange general surgey program and have 1 year of NIH research in G Surg? And when I say Plastic fellowship I mean any US recognized fellowship good or bad?
Leforte said:

ive heard that it is not super difficult, like trying to get into a combined program...

cooldreams said:
ive heard that it is not super difficult, like trying to get into a combined program...

Combined programs are competitive, and so are plastics fellowships.