Breast Reconstruction Revision - Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edge of desire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone on this forum might have some literature or validated, controlled, and large-sample-size survey data to point me towards regarding patient choices for revisions to breast reconstructions.

I can find satisfaction rate studies on different autologous or expander/implant methods, but I cannot find information on what the major concerns of women are deciding on implant or non-implant reconstructions (beyond anecdotal ‘patient sites’ on google search, basically non-serious information sources). I’m guessing the complications like ruptures or capsule formation with the first method (i.e. stay with same revision if they were low, look into other methods if they were high), or outcome (saline didn’t feel ‘natural’ so ask about silicone or autogenous tissue alternative), or just the price/insurance coverage of the different options for revision itself would be the big reasons that influence decision to stick with the same method or to change to a different method. But, I can’t find any group that has seriously looked into this. I find it hard to imagine no one has bothered…!

I’m hoping someone here who knows about this field can help me find some hard data on what’s going on with the patients’ thought process and decisions, and help me link satisfaction rates or other factors to why patients change up the type of reconstruction when they get a revision? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.