Question about being a dentist in the reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental7200

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you just get accepted into dentistry and join the reserves and have them pay for your education, can you basically refuse deployment to another state or province once you graduate if you don't want to go there?

Can you even do dentistry and join the reserves, or do they require you to actually join the normal military?

Members don't see this ad.

If you do the scholarship program you must give back active duty. I have never heard of them paying for school and letting you be in the reserves.

Thanks. Do you know of any military websites that show any of this information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Do you know of any military websites that show any of this information?

You may already know this but I'll jsut throw it out there incase you don't since I see your attending school in Canada. You must be a US citizen to recieve a commision as an officer and dentist in the US armed forces which also means to recieve a scholarship.

I was wondering if you just get accepted into dentistry and join the reserves and have them pay for your education, can you basically refuse deployment to another state or province once you graduate if you don't want to go there?

Can you even do dentistry and join the reserves, or do they require you to actually join the normal military?

They do not have HPSP available. They do have loan repayment programs (National Guard and Reserve both). As mentioned earlier you do have to be a citizen.