Queries: Engineering Ph.D. -> Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LateBloomer111

Reaction score
Hello forum members,

I have some queries about a career change I'm planning over the next few years. Following is my background:
  • Bachelor's degree in engineering from a reputed institution in India.
  • Ph.D. in engineering (specialization in molecular modeling) from a university in the United States.
  • I have worked in tech industry since 2013. No direct experience with healthcare industry yet. I do plan to start volunteering at local hospitals.
  • My father is a retired physician (ophthalmologist). I figured out a little late that medicine was my passion as well, but I ended up following the engineering bandwagon due to the trend among high school students in my small town at the time. I am willing to switch career to medicine a little late in my life. It's better late than never, I guess.
Here are some questions that I have about pre-requisite course work:
  • My undergraduate degree is not from the United States. I live in Texas and will be applying only to medical schools in Texas. TMDSAS and some Texas medical school websites mention that only pre-requisite courses at an accredited US school or university are accepted. Also, applicants should have a minimum 90 semester credit hours from an accredited US school or university. I have recently started coursework at local community college. Can I take all 90 semester credit hours (including pre-requisite coursework) at a local community college?
  • I work full time and have a family with young kid(s). To accommodate schedules, I am taking a mix of online and in-person classes (enrolling for labs in-person) -- 9 to 12 semester credit hours each semester. Do medical schools look at online courses unfavorably?
I will highly appreciate any suggestions from the forum members.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, shadow some doctors in other fields than your father's, especially in Texas. Network with them to get an idea what your challenges would be during your education and training since it will be very different from your father.

Second, ask the schools about community college credit. We do have some experts here who could give you insight.

Reactions: 1 user
I would stay in tech. Medicine is going the wrong way. If you do it, go in stage and take out few loans. Nursing school and then going for an NP is much better financially. Things may change, but who knows. My brother has a bachelors degree in computers and makes $150k a year programming for sales force. No call, no COVID risk, no weekends. Works from home.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, shadow some doctors in other fields than your father's, especially in Texas. Network with them to get an idea what your challenges would be during your education and training since it will be very different from your father.

Second, ask the schools about community college credit. We do have some experts here who could give you insight.
@Mr.Smile12 thank you for your suggestions. I am already looking for doctors in my city from different specialties to get shadowing opportunities. Also, I'll get in touch with the medical schools that I'm interested in to see if they accept community college credits. Thanks again.

I would stay in tech. Medicine is going the wrong way. If you do it, go in stage and take out few loans. Nursing school and then going for an NP is much better financially. Things may change, but who knows. My brother has a bachelors degree in computers and makes $150k a year programming for sales force. No call, no COVID risk, no weekends. Works from home.
@Prometheus2772 I have a work from home job as well with comparable pay structure. Could you please let me know if financial burden and work-life balance are main reasons for your recommendation for me to stay in tech? Or, there's another reason(s) too that I should be keep in consideration? Thank you.

Last edited:
Where at because if its the bay area $150k is chump change. Here is the dirty little secret about programming as that is what my career used to be in.
1. You constantly have to learn new things and get new certifications if you want to stay in the game.
2. You will very rarely see someone 40+ still programming as its a young mans game.
3. There absolutely is call. If you are doing a deployment/go live event you may be on call for two weeks or a month.
4. Your projects can vary drastically. Sure you can be on a hip project that is sexy and interesting. Then you may find yourself working on some random mundane feature and troubleshooting if for years to come.
5. Most importantly you have no respect. You are computer monkey were analysts, project managers, and executives ask you why can't (insert random feature) be done yesterday.
6. A majority of development is outsourced to the South America, Philippines, India etc. If you do become a manager you will be expected to have late night calls with these associates multiple times a week.

Where at because if its the bay area $150k is chump change. Here is the dirty little secret about programming as that is what my career used to be in.
1. You constantly have to learn new things and get new certifications if you want to stay in the game.
2. You will very rarely see someone 40+ still programming as its a young mans game.
3. There absolutely is call. If you are doing a deployment/go live event you may be on call for two weeks or a month.
4. Your projects can vary drastically. Sure you can be on a hip project that is sexy and interesting. Then you may find yourself working on some random mundane feature and troubleshooting if for years to come.
5. Most importantly you have no respect. You are computer monkey were analysts, project managers, and executives ask you why can't (insert random feature) be done yesterday.
6. A majority of development is outsourced to the South America, Philippines, India etc. If you do become a manager you will be expected to have late night calls with these associates multiple times a week.
Thanks for listing the reality of other fields. A lot of doctors who went straight through school to medicine don't have a good concept of the demands of other jobs.

Reactions: 1 users