Queensland and Flinders : Please Help !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there !

For the last couple of months i have been reading these posts and extensively researching these two schools (Queensland to a lesser extent because its harder to get info on this school) I have been offered a spot at Flinders and Queensland.

I thought i had my mind made up but lately i've retraced my steps and now it feels like im starting from square one!! frustrated much?..yes, very much :confused:

If anyone has any opinions about the pros and cons of these two schools your input will be much appreciated :love:

Is there a significant difference (besides geographical) in these two programs?

Also, i have heard(as a rumour and without evidence) that Queenslands medical program has had accreditation issues(unable to be accredited) within Australia, is there any truth to this????? I feel this statement, albiet from a less than a reliable source, has a strong implication towards my decision...I hope its not the case but i still needed to ask, and any comment on this issue will help tremendously !

I am leaning towards one school but i think i need that slight push to get me to the finish line. Thanks again everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at this website

http://www.amc.org.au/accredhistory.asp

ralan said:
Hi there !

For the last couple of months i have been reading these posts and extensively researching these two schools (Queensland to a lesser extent because its harder to get info on this school) I have been offered a spot at Flinders and Queensland.

I thought i had my mind made up but lately i've retraced my steps and now it feels like im starting from square one!! frustrated much?..yes, very much :confused:

If anyone has any opinions about the pros and cons of these two schools your input will be much appreciated :love:

Is there a significant difference (besides geographical) in these two programs?

Also, i have heard(as a rumour and without evidence) that Queenslands medical program has had accreditation issues(unable to be accredited) within Australia, is there any truth to this????? I feel this statement, albiet from a less than a reliable source, has a strong implication towards my decision...I hope its not the case but i still needed to ask, and any comment on this issue will help tremendously !

I am leaning towards one school but i think i need that slight push to get me to the finish line. Thanks again everyone :)

just me personally. i interviewed at both schools and hated UQld, to the point where i decided that if they offered me a position i would rather wait another year and then try again for Flinders... This was just my experience btu I found them rather stuff and impersonal whereas I foudn the staff at Flinders helpful, which has been born out by my experience there as a student... Good luck with the decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny -- I interviewed at both (got into both) but hated Adelaide (the city), and chose UQ despite the more personal nature of Flinders the school. I love it here, love Brisbane, love that there's a large close-knit class, love the women... :)

If I didn't care so much about location however, I'd be at Flinders -- they do have a personal touch, from admissions straight on through. Also has good associations with Columbia and Yale to help with electives or US res placement, if that's a desire, and concern (shouldn't be though unless you're going for a tough US residency like derm or rads oncol, or you're a dingbat who won't pass the USMLE anyway).

Anywho...just liked the irony of DrIng's experience.

-pitman

DrIng said:
just me personally. i interviewed at both schools and hated UQld, to the point where i decided that if they offered me a position i would rather wait another year and then try again for Flinders... This was just my experience btu I found them rather stuff and impersonal whereas I foudn the staff at Flinders helpful, which has been born out by my experience there as a student... Good luck with the decision.

I think that UQ needs to take some lessons in how to deal with international students from Flinders. It's hard to get the administration there to help with anything.

But I am with Pitman on choosing Brisbane over Adelaide. It is, after all, 4 years of your life. But if you don't care about 300+ days of sunshine, good beaches and a more interesting city than go for Flinders!

pitman said:
Funny -- I interviewed at both (got into both) but hated Adelaide (the city), and chose UQ despite the more personal nature of Flinders the school. I love it here, love Brisbane, love that there's a large close-knit class, love the women... :)

If I didn't care so much about location however, I'd be at Flinders -- they do have a personal touch, from admissions straight on through. Also has good associations with Columbia and Yale to help with electives or US res placement, if that's a desire, and concern (shouldn't be though unless you're going for a tough US residency like derm or rads oncol, or you're a dingbat who won't pass the USMLE anyway).

Anywho...just liked the irony of DrIng's experience.

-pitman