Quantitative Reasoning OAT

TheMotivator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys mainly use chads videos for QR or Kaplan as well?

I have both. Is Chad's enough review and then use the Kaplan Subject tests to check how i am doing? Or should i also do the kaplan workshops for Quantitative Reasoning?

Members don't see this ad.

I only used kaplan and i regret that. I thought kaplan was great to refresh on basics, but gave simple practice questions, and i didn't feel it was close to the actual test with a lot of geometry and trigonometry throughout the entire section.

I would definitely recommend using something other than kaplan. I hear a lot of great things from OAT destroyer. I took the OAT twice, mainly b/c of this section but still used the kaplan to study for it for the second time b/c i couldn't afford to get another program. I can't say if the chad videos give you practice questions or if it just teaches you. But i think practice questions is the most important,for this section.

I would get oat destroyer and crack the oat for more practice questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chad's videos has good emphasis on trig and geometry. Studying quantitative Reasoning should take two weeks max?

it does have a lot but none if it i felt helped or covered what was tested which was more trig and geometry. And two weeks isn't a lot of time to me, unless you are really confident with any practice questions you have done already.

About 30/40 of my QR questions on the OAT were word problems which I was not definitely not prepared for, KAPLAN DOES NOT AT ALL PREPARE U FOR QR... I made 320-330 on all Kaplan QR sections on the prac test and a 280 on the real thing... Know trig questions and so multiple word problems everyday

About 30/40 of my QR questions on the OAT were word problems which I was not definitely not prepared for, KAPLAN DOES NOT AT ALL PREPARE U FOR QR... I made 320-330 on all Kaplan QR sections on the prac test and a 280 on the real thing... Know trig questions and so multiple word problems everyday

So did you use chads videos or math destroyer? Kaplan doesn't have good trig or geometry or word problems? Word problems are tricky, especially the probability ones, like marbles and deck of cards and permutations and combination questions.

there wasn't a lot of probability or permutations and combination. I think i only saw 1 question on it both times i took it.

there wasn't a lot of probability or permutations and combination. I think i only saw 1 question on it both times i took it.

Hey guys, so I just took Kaplan Q.R. Subject Test 1, and out of the 25 questions, it was like mostly word problems. I'm not quite sure on what type of word problems you guys have faced on the actual OAT?

Last edited:
I'm currently using the Math Destroyer which is very helpful with teaching you to how to approach and solve multi-step world problems, but I'm not gonna lie some of the tests towards the end of the book are pretty challenging. haha

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if I should purchase the Math Destroyer. I have purchased the Kaplan course and I also have chads videos. Resource wise, aren't I good to go?

Many here are indicating that kaplan did not prepare them for the Quantitative Reasoning section. Well, from what I saw based on my previous subject tests, there were word problems on the subject tests....I was ready and scheduled to study and kind of confused now on what to do, purchase the Math Destroyer or just stick to what I have? :confused:

Hi everyone! This thread is great because the QR section is the one I seriously need a lot of work on. I can tell you guys that I took the full Kaplan course and it did NOT prepare me for the QR section. I took the exam recently and did poorly on math. Like TheMotivator I felt like there were SO many word problems and NOT the probability/perm/comb problems that Kaplan seems to overemphasize on.

Does anyone out there have any experience with Crack The OAT? (crackoat.com). I see Math Destroyer is the same price, although I've gotten the impression that it is maybe too difficult compared to the OAT? It would be great to just purchase math only since I need that the most.

Hey Kajuna,

Sorry to hear about your QR score, are you retaking? When you say "word problems" on actual OAT, what do you mean? Kaplan has a ton of word problems on it's subject tests.

I was thinking about mastering first chads videos QR section and then Kaplans. Then in the latter, if time exists I can add a Math destroyer onto my collection.

Hey Kajuna,

Sorry to hear about your QR score, are you retaking? When you say "word problems" on actual OAT, what do you mean? Kaplan has a ton of word problems on it's subject tests.

I was thinking about mastering first chads videos QR section and then Kaplans. Then in the latter, if time exists I can add a Math destroyer onto my collection.

People seem to be getting caught up on word problems. There are multiple types of word problems. Not just the ones kaplan gives where "more" means plus and put the problem together and solve.

The word problems were more like geometry and/or trig situations. I just remember being given a lot of situations with cos/sin/tan/csc/cot/sec and having to solve with multiple situations on the real test. I don't know if anyone else can give a better example. But I never saw anything similar in the subject tests Kaplan gave. And i did take all of them. If I still had the questions to look at maybe i could give an idea of what i saw. But i did have a lot of trouble with this section during the real exam. And I did real well on practice tests given by ada and kaplan.

But there was a good amount of just basic algebra solving thrown in there to make my score better. But I would say 15 or more questions was trig and geo.

Anyways I got in, and got an ehh score on this section. So try not to stress if you are scoring good on your practice I am sure you will do fine. Just keep doing as many practice questions of any type and you should be fine

I do feel Kaplan prepared well for all other sections. Especially physics, i thought it was dead on.

Thanks Motivator; oh yes, of course I'm retaking...wouldn't be curious about what math material would be best to study from if otherwise :)

Yes, I wanna clarify that by word problems, I mean all types of word problems most likely. Not your run-of-the-mill, straight-forward rate problems, sequence problems, and other problems I felt Kaplan had a lot of. I ended up having to skim through and skip so many problems on my exam that even though I wish I could recall the types of problems it's all a blur to me! Mind you, math is my weakest subject so don't put too much stress on my words if you are a quick thinker with good math skills (in that case, it seems like a lot of people do well on QR without study at all). But from someone who really needs to improve in QR, Kaplan just didn't do it for me.

I still hope someone can confirm if CrackOAT Math and/or Math Destroyer are worth it!

Hey Kajuna,

When I took the OAT for my first time, I scored a 300 on the QR section and I only used Chad's Videos and followed along with a ton of practice problems with the Math Destroyer.

What happened was that, I disliked the OAT destroyer, because for all the other subjects it was so complicated and so I just sold it away and purchased Kaplans course instead. However, I loved the Math Destroyer, it was chill and made sense. The OAT destroyer was like so much random questions scattered and unorganized, in which I didn't like. I am a very organized individual and when I study, I like to study from the bottom and work my way up.

So I'm not worried about the QR section anymore, because I did get a 300 baseline, I know that I can improve the score, but I'm surprised that Kaplan won't prep it's students for QR.

But hey, for me, I need to still master Kaplans QR and Chad's Videos, because at the end, close to my actual OAT, I will be taking those Kaplan full length practice exams, and I need to score high on QR. It won't hurt mastering Kaplan's QR, I mean it's all math at the end.

First of all, YOU GET A CALCULATOR! I did not know that until I got to the QR section on the actual test. But I think the best way to study for this section is take a lot of timed tests (speed is really important) and review the types of problems that you missed. Remember, you can miss a decent amount of problems in this section and still get a good score! On the real thing, I got a 350 on QR, just by taking practice tests in the Kaplan OAT and DAT books. If a problem seems time consuming, skip it!!

Motivator, glad you're not worried anymore! :) I'll probably make a new thread for my question so that I don't take over yours :)

I second what someone mentioned about speed. None of the questions are particularly difficult, it's just a matter of whether or not you recognize how to solve it very quickly. I was not able to finish this section so I had to go back and just guess answers for a couple.

I know everyone always says to solve the easy ones first and come back to more difficult ones later (which is what I did) but I would emphasize it here. Probably half of the questions you can do in about 20 seconds each, but don't spend 5 minutes on 1 or 2 of them and never find the easy ones.

All questions are worth the same, so go through the exam and only answer ones you can do quickly in your head. Then go back and do problems involving calculations you know how to setup immediately. Finally, do the ones you have to think about and consider. Hope this helps.

Oh, for geometry, the only thing I bothered to remember that verticle angles are always equal, the sum of the interior angles of a polygon, and your simple SOH CAH TOA mnemonic. The most challenging problems for me were the "X is 4 years older than Y but Z is blah blah blah." Maybe I just never learned a quick way to solve those, but I have to draw out a schematic. Sometimes it works out that all of the answers choices are widely spread (like, 4, 10, 25, 50) so you don't really need to solve it to see that only one of the answers could be possible.