Q-Bank and USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pril

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correlation beyween, the q-bank scores and the actual results on the USMLE?Is the real test more difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that the real test is less difficult, and that if you are scoring 55-60% on QBank, you can expect to do fine on the USMLE. I havent taken it yet, but I have asked others this question.

I can tell you for a fact that 55-60% does not correlate with a good score; it likely correlates with just passing. If you manage scores of 70-80%, then you will do quite well.

Well, if you search the forums here, you hear posters remark that they score 60% on their last QBank and hit the mean on the exam. It seems to be a recurring theme. That was all I was going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i have heard and experienced, q-bank has a pretty weak correlation for scores to step 1. in my experience, i was getting around a 65% average, and i scored a 192/78. most folks i know in the 60's passed, and in the 70's killed it.

the NBME self assesment seems to have a much better correlation, but it is not accurate. again, in my experience, i got a 470 on the self assesment (just below the mean) and my real score was about 1SD below the mean. but, that is by far the worst result i have heard of. most people do better on the usmle than the self assesement, and i may be the only person that actually did worse.

correlations are tough. do as many questions as you can, and really understand what is right and wrong with each one. if you are in the 60's on q-bank regularly toward the end, you should pass. if you want a correlation, take the self assessment, but don't let that give you a false sense of security (just remember my sad story:( ).

good luck