Q/A for FM applicants (I matched with low scores)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playingfrombehind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone this is a Q/A for people interested in FM. I matched with very low scores. Ask away and I'll try my best to shed some light.

-stats: failed one of the USMLEs, <200 Step 1, >200 Step 2, first pass step 2 CS
-applied to about 100 programs in FM some psych, IM - received about 70 interviews, ended up going on about 40+ (lost count at 38)

PEARLS from the interview season:

1) US-medical grad preferably no VISA issues gives you a massive massive advantage. Perhaps the most important reason why I got so many invites is because I was a US student. Obviously doesn't help IMGs but wanted to shed some light on that.

2) Step 1 score requirements as written in Freida are fluid, not set in stone - I didn't meet alot of the Step 1 score req but exceeded step 2 scores.
-if you have the year off I highly recommend you take step 3
-step 2 cs is very important - for alot of my apps you could not fail the step 2 CS but could fail other USMLEs.

3) I applied to about 100 programs in total - received about 70 invites, ended up going on about 40 interviews (stopped counting at 38 interviews)
-the vast majority of invites in October-November, and about 10-15 or so trickled in December-January
-referring to the NRMP regional map:
-
I was not sure where to apply as my school mentor were not academic family doctors, so I applied very broadly in every major region on the NRMP map
-vast majority of interviews in Central and Northeastern area - 90% success rate (apps to interviews)
-western states were not as competitive as I thought - received invites from all places I applied to (~4)
-midwestern states were competitive 4 interviews out of about 10 apps
-the south was most competitive for me- for me about 1:8 (app to interview ratio)

4) A very well written personal statement that stands out can get you an interview
-very concrete intangibles - i.e. good research record (actual publications) can get you an interview
-I asked at every interview "what do you look for in a candidate" and they would almost always say that they are looking for residents that not only fit in their program but will add something (i.e. research, new endeavors, expand/enrich the program)

5) Interview is very important - attendings have to be able to have a conversation with you and work with you
-I had one interview where attending roleplayed a very rude patient returning for her OCP-refill
-I had one interview where attending roleplayed the wife of a marine who had acute onset chest pain.
-there were several family medicine interviews where they tested your knowledge - i.e. they would give you a scenario of acute onset SOB and it was like an oral exam - you would tell them what the next step in management, next test you would order, etc. etc. or you were seeing a patient in the E.R. and suddenly pager went off from a nurse what do you do?
-I experienced these "oral exam questions" in about a dozen interviews.
-some of my interviews they asked to present a challenging or memorable case and would ask followup questions
-but vast majority are friendly interviews where they try to see if you fit into their culture/program
-lastly the entire day you are being watched - people are always asking you "who interviewed you", "where did you eat last night", "do you have any questions", during dinner/lunch residents would also ask questions specifically from your application to confirm if you were telling the truth.

5b) I think it is very very important to come prepared with lots of questions. I had a mnemonic in my head regarding all the questions I would ask. Residents, staff, faculty constantly ask you "do you have any questions". Its okay to say you don't have any at the moment.
-Try not to look tired or over gunnerish. Try to be yourself but at the same time interested in the program. It was so obvious when students were trying to kiss the butt of residents and looked like a complete tool.

5c) It is very obvious when a program is interested in you and takes you seriously as a candidate. I knew with my low step scores I would be at a disadvantage. At the presitigious programs I think they were interested in the extracurriculars I did and my personal statement so that is why I got a last minute/late interview.
-It may be different at each program b ut I personally saw it when a program was interested also they literally tell you that "we would love to have you", "you seem like a great fit".
-I actually received some gifts and hand written notes from residents after my interview saying that they would love to have me here.
-All this is just my 2 cents .

5d) 2nd looks: I think this is mainly for your benefit. I went to the 2nd looks for my top 3 programs. Some programs only invite their top candidates while some programs invite everyone. Some programs only have 2nd looks by request.

6) I don't know much about IMGs sorry about that

7) Freida is the best tool to build your list of programs to apply to - I used matcharesident.com because they had "interview reviews from people" - completely useless and a waste of money. Do not use matcharesident.
-Save your money, use Freida
-if unsure call the program directly.

8) My advice on what to do if you are taking a year off
-actual research (with real publications)
-work on your personal statement, interviewing skills (I think med school prepares you for interviews since at the end of the day its really a conversation - try to view your interviewer as a colleague rather than authority figure)
-do not do a masters - I think it is a waste of money unless you are pursuing something you really enjoy and/or there are publications involved
-try to get a job in the clinical field where you are interacting with patients
-study and take the step 3
-use frieda as your guide

Hope this helped. I'll try my best to answer questions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
received about 70 interviews, ended up going on about 40+ (lost count at 38)

Holy moly. I've never heard of anyone going on that many interviews...

But thank you for sharing your experiences. It's not often that people with low step scores post on here, so it's encouraging to hear that you had so much success with interview invites.

First of all, congrats on matching! All of this information you're providing is great to have.

1. You mention taking Step 3 if you have a year off, as well as doing productive research. Are you saying you had a year off between fourth year and residency from not matching the first time around? If so, can you tell us what you did 'wrong' the first time around?

2. How many IM programs did you apply to, and were they more or less challenging to get interviews at compared to the family medicine residencies? How about the psych residencies?

3. What were your 3rd and 4th year evals/grades like? Do you think they hurt or helped your application process?

Thanks a lot for doing this Q and A sesh. It definitely relieves some stress from those of us thinking about the future!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, congrats on matching! All of this information you're providing is great to have.

1. You mention taking Step 3 if you have a year off, as well as doing productive research. Are you saying you had a year off between fourth year and residency from not matching the first time around? If so, can you tell us what you did 'wrong' the first time around?

2. How many IM programs did you apply to, and were they more or less challenging to get interviews at compared to the family medicine residencies? How about the psych residencies?

3. What were your 3rd and 4th year evals/grades like? Do you think they hurt or helped your application process?

Thanks a lot for doing this Q and A sesh. It definitely relieves some stress from those of us thinking about the future!

1. did not apply last year but graduated. Do not do this - you get the label "previous grad" on the NRMP profile.
-Also schools do not know if you applied last year or not. Alot of interviews started with "did you apply last year" or "why did you not match last year", or "what were the reasons you did not match last year"

2. I used IM and pscyh for practice interviews. Never really intended to go into these fields. I applied only to my homeschool IM and psych programs and hospitals I rotated at. Didn't go on all these interviews.
-IM interviews are different from family medicine - alot more candidates on interview day (several of my FM interviews I was the only person there) - shorter interviews - less behavioral questions more knowledge based questions - they always had oral exam questions - so they usually start off with a scenario or CC or you basically work through it with the interviewer (who is constantly asking follow-up questions)
-the exception was that my home school interview was very short. They only asked me two questions - what would you do to improve what you saw / any more questions - lasted less than 30 min. since I did my IM clerkship, medicine Sub-I, and one elective with the same faculty and program director.
-with psych same thing oral exam questions. I did not want to go into psych.
-at the time I was applying did not know what to expect so coughed up the extra $$ to apply to IM and psych.
-Another reason why I didn't go on all the IM and psych interviews was due to budget issues and student loans (in alot of debt) so I really had to schedule my interviews so I would go from state to state in a logical order. It is actually very okay to reschedule your interviews with program coordinators.

3. I did alright in my 3rd year grades. mostly high passes. I had no school failures or professionalism issues. No negative comments on my dean's letter. My only real red flags were failure of a USMLE and previous grad.
-I did very well in 4th year - honors in every sub-I and elective because there were no shelf exams.
-If you are applying as a 4th year they may not see the Sub-I/elective grades since you hand in your trnascript before sept 15
-I had really strong letters - when I ask my mentors for a letter I ask them "can you write me a strong letter".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Other Interview Pearls I gathered:

-Often you take a short or brief walk with the interviewer to their room - on that walk your first impression is very improtant. They usually ask you "how are you doing" - do not give them a tired or lethargic answer - I think that really sets the tone for the entire interview.
-Almost every interview has a resident dinner - At many of my interviewers that ask you "where did you eat last night" and "who did you eat with". Make sure you remember the restaurant you ate at and who you ate with.
-There is a red book called "The Successful Match" I think it is a very good investment. It has a chapter with behavioral questions which prepared me very well. It also has a list of questions to ask residents, attendings, etc.
-on interview day for FM usually you get anywhere from 3-7 interviews, usually last anywhere from 20 min. to 1 hour.
-in some of the interviews they would ask 1 or 2 questions and the rest was do you have any questions
-sometimes interviews ask "do you have any questions" as the first question
-try to treat the interview as a conversation - I think the worst interview dynamic is when it is only the interviewer asking you the question and you answer then you move on to the next question.
-view your interviewer as a colleague not an authority figure.

-I think there are several types of interview questions you can encounter
1) behavioral questions - i.e. tell me about a time you rose to the occasion / tell me about a time you made a mistake / tell me about a time..
2) do you have any questions? Can be phrased "what else do you want to know about the program" - can be asked as the first question so don't be thrown off guard.

3) questions specifically from your CV (i.e. your research) - can be phrased "tell me something that is NOT on your CV"
4) question about red flags

5) questions to see if you are applying to FM as a backup and how interested you are in FM - may not be phrased "why FM" - can be phrased "tell me about the experiences that led you to FM", "when was the moment you knew FM was for you", or "what surprised you about FM", "where you always interested in FM?", what are you looking for in a program / what part of family medicine do you like the most

6) knowledge questions - as stated above - only about a dozen or so schools had knowledge questions but almost all questions asked you to present a case and had follow-up questions

7) questions about yourself - interests, what you do on your free time
-one of my interviews started with "tell me about something we don't already know"
-really to see if you fit in the program culture or a preview of what it would be to work with you
-You have to make the impression that you are someone residents/faculty can work with for 3+ years.

Last edited:
1. did not apply last year but graduated. Do not do this - you get the label "previous grad" on the NRMP profile.
-Also schools do not know if you applied last year or not. Alot of interviews started with "did you apply last year" or "why did you not match last year", or "what were the reasons you did not match last year"

2. I used IM and pscyh for practice interviews. Never really intended to go into these fields. I applied only to my homeschool IM and psych programs and hospitals I rotated at. Didn't go on all these interviews.
-IM interviews are different from family medicine - alot more candidates on interview day (several of my FM interviews I was the only person there) - shorter interviews - less behavioral questions more knowledge based questions - they always had oral exam questions - so they usually start off with a scenario or CC or you basically work through it with the interviewer (who is constantly asking follow-up questions)
-the exception was that my home school interview was very short. They only asked me two questions - what would you do to improve what you saw / any more questions - lasted less than 30 min. since I did my IM clerkship, medicine Sub-I, and one elective with the same faculty and program director.
-with psych same thing oral exam questions. I did not want to go into psych.
-at the time I was applying did not know what to expect so coughed up the extra $$ to apply to IM and psych.
-Another reason why I didn't go on all the IM and psych interviews was due to budget issues and student loans (in alot of debt) so I really had to schedule my interviews so I would go from state to state in a logical order. It is actually very okay to reschedule your interviews with program coordinators.

3. I did alright in my 3rd year grades. mostly high passes. I had no school failures or professionalism issues. No negative comments on my dean's letter. My only real red flags were failure of a USMLE and previous grad.
-I did very well in 4th year - honors in every sub-I and elective because there were no shelf exams.
-If you are applying as a 4th year they may not see the Sub-I/elective grades since you hand in your trnascript before sept 15
-I had really strong letters - when I ask my mentors for a letter I ask them "can you write me a strong letter".
So basically IM programs pimp you at your interview? Yeah, definitely not for me.

So basically IM programs pimp you at your interview? Yeah, definitely not for me.

-I only went on ~4 IM interviews so I can't really generalize. Same with psych.
-I was "pimped" during my FM interviews as well about a dozen or so out of the 40 but the pimping was not to the extent of an oral exam.
-usually it is "present an interesting case", "present a case where you had a difficult patient", "present a case where you rose to the occasion" - then they ask some followup questions. That is really the extent of the "pimping" in FM
-Only a handful of FM interviews had the oral exam pimping that went beyond what I stated above
-make sure you can present a few cases coherently in the proper order - i.e. history, physical (vitals), assessment/plan, etc

-But the vast majority of FM interviews did not have any pimping at all / no medical stuff

Last edited:
Not true. Went on interviews for 3 specialties and Matched and was not pimped once....including IM programs.

You may. I passed all of my boards the first time, & I still matched at my 11/13. I actually don't know anyone in my class who matched at their top spot including our valedictorian.

I'm gonna add to this, no matter what any PD or faculty at a program tells you about how much they want you there. DO NOT LISTEN. They are lying. They say this line of tripe to every single candidate they meet. If you didn't know by now, people in medicine lie because they don't have the gumption to actually just make neutral statements. So when a PD tells you "we really want you" all it is is a ploy to make sure their program fills. Never ever suicide rank a place that says this, never ever believe it & always rank based on how you feel. That said, working with people who want you around is better than working with people who feel like they had to settle for you.

If you're a person who does this, be a bigger person & make neutral statements instead of telling every candidate how much you want them. It's a dick move.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
US MD at a low rank Midwest school. I failed Step 1, passed with <210. With how my school is set up, I won't be able to take Step 2CK until end of August (with no dedicated period) or in September (with 3-4 weeks dedicated). Also can't do CS until September/October earliest. Any advice? Goal is to match any unopposed program, preferably in either coasts. Do I have a chance?

-you definitely have a chance to match somehwere. But with your stats I don't know if you will get your geographical preference. I didn't rank the places I interviewed in the West coast (since if you rank more than 20 for your rank order list you have to start paying). I didn't get any interviews in some of the east coast states (maine, NH, Mass.) Most IV were from Penn and NY (just see what I typed above regarding geograph)

Because I was a previous grad the main difference between you and me was that when I applied I had step 2 CK/CS, and step 1 already done. I also had all my 4th year grades that were mostly honors.
-but your step 1 score is slightly higher than mine so you are at a better place than me

-do not skip the match like I did, match rate for previous US-grads is about 40% a far cry from the 93% (2015 figures)

-I don't really have any out of this world advice for you
-the only advice I can give you is do your best with M3/M4 grades and study hard for step 2 CK. Also prepare well for Step 2 CS its not a cakewalk
-there's nothing you can really do about the schedule for your step 2 CK/CS and step 1 score
-also make sure you get strong letters, etc.
-and when you apply - apply broadly - the south was the most competitive in terms of app:interview ratio. Just see what I typed above for geography.

Last edited:
You may. I passed all of my boards the first time, & I still matched at my 11/13. I actually don't know anyone in my class who matched at their top spot including our valedictorian.

I'm gonna add to this, no matter what any PD or faculty at a program tells you about how much they want you there. DO NOT LISTEN. They are lying. They say this line of tripe to every single candidate they meet. If you didn't know by now, people in medicine lie because they don't have the gumption to actually just make neutral statements. So when a PD tells you "we really want you" all it is is a ploy to make sure their program fills. Never ever suicide rank a place that says this, never ever believe it & always rank based on how you feel. That said, working with people who want you around is better than working with people who feel like they had to settle for you.

If you're a person who does this, be a bigger person & make neutral statements instead of telling every candidate how much you want them. It's a dick move.

I matched to my #1 spot and the PD did send me a letter and gift telling me I was a top ranked candidate. They also invited me back for a second look and said they only invited a selected number of candidates. I felt really wanted but that was not the main reason why I ranked them #1. I didn't experience the back-stabbing you describe.

Also I think it is important to differentiate when PD tell you that you will "fit well" or "they would be glad to work with you". These statements are completely different from statements that say "you are our top candidate" or "we are seriously considering you".

Nevertheless it is important to cover your tail and make sure you rank enough places in your preference regardless of what you think your chances are.

Telling people "we really want you at our program, and you would be a huge asset to our team", is not the same as what you're describing. These are the kinds of statements made to people, and I know others who were told what you were told, and then didn't match to those locations. This is a common occurrance. It happens all over the country. Ask half of the people who scramble every year. I know several who were given promises as you were, and they got screwed. Only rank on your feel, not what a PD says.

Can't agree more with "always rank based on your true preference". It could happen the other way, when you don't hear anything remotely close to "we want you here" yet still match at your #1.

Back to the topic: Prior to match this year, I was told audition rotations for family medicine are not required, which is true. However, if you are a weaker applicant or limited geographically, you might want to consider doing a few audition rotations in your early 4th year (July - October). This will give you a significant advantage not only in terms of matching but also getting know to know them well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched at my #1 spot at what I would call a good unopposed MD program in the SE. This program is basically a branch of a massive teaching hospital located nearby.

- I failed 2 classes (but basically 1) in first year that caused me to be on academic probation for the remainder of pre-clinical years.
- I failed COMLEX 1 the first time (putting me on suspension until I passed), scored <200 on USMLE Step 1, scored ~490 on COMLEX 2, didn't take USMLE Step 2. Passed COMLEX PE first time. GPA was a B.
- 2-3 passes, 3 high passes, 2 honors in third year.
- 2 FM letters, 1 surgery
- Did not do an AI at the place I matched.

Probably the main thing going for me was that I am a local for where the program is located and I made it very clear to them during and after the interview that their program is where I wanted to be. I also felt I interviewed very well and I let them know that while I am not the greatest test taker, my LORs spoke to my clinical abilities on the wards. I heard absolutely nothing from them about their ranking me before Match Day. I did write the PD a long email and explained exactly why I wanted to be at their program, and also what kind of resident they could expect me to be.

I matched at my #1 spot at what I would call a good unopposed MD program in the SE. This program is basically a branch of a massive teaching hospital located nearby.

- I failed 2 classes (but basically 1) in first year that caused me to be on academic probation for the remainder of pre-clinical years.
- I failed COMLEX 1 the first time (putting me on suspension until I passed), scored <200 on USMLE Step 1, scored ~490 on COMLEX 2, didn't take USMLE Step 2. Passed COMLEX PE first time. GPA was a B.
- 2-3 passes, 3 high passes, 2 honors in third year.
- 2 FM letters, 1 surgery
- Did not do an AI at the place I matched.

Probably the main thing going for me was that I am a local for where the program is located and I made it very clear to them during and after the interview that their program is where I wanted to be. I also felt I interviewed very well and I let them know that while I am not the greatest test taker, my LORs spoke to my clinical abilities on the wards. I heard absolutely nothing from them about their ranking me before Match Day. I did write the PD a long email and explained exactly why I wanted to be at their program, and also what kind of resident they could expect me to be.

Kudos another success story. So will you have to take the USMLE steps since you are in a ACGME program? I'm glad I didn't have to take the COMLEX

Hey guys, need some advice. I'm an IMG with 2015 grad date. This will be the third time I'm applying. I applied to about 120 FM programs and a few IM programs. Had 2 interviews total. 1 courtesy interview from an audition and another from harassing them. I have 208/214/197. Reattempt in step 2 and 3. It doesn't look good for me with the reattempt and I'm not sure what can be done to improve my application. I'm doing some research and volunteering but neither get publications. Any tips would help. Thanks!

From the places you interviewed, did they let on if it Is it better to get a low passing score on USMLE in addition to COMLEX, or is only applying with a (500 +/- 10) COMLEX better? I've heard it a few different ways from some of the people that matched FM at my school.

Last edited:
From the places you interviewed, did they let on if it Is it better to get a low passing score on USMLE in addition to COMLEX, or is only applying with a (500 +/- 10) COMLEX better? I've heard it a few different ways from some of the people that matched FM at my school.

apologies for late reply.
Well for me because I failed a USMLE they did bring up my old scores
other than asking about the failure don't recall them ever talking about scores after that.

Hey guys, need some advice. I'm an IMG with 2015 grad date. This will be the third time I'm applying. I applied to about 120 FM programs and a few IM programs. Had 2 interviews total. 1 courtesy interview from an audition and another from harassing them. I have 208/214/197. Reattempt in step 2 and 3. It doesn't look good for me with the reattempt and I'm not sure what can be done to improve my application. I'm doing some research and volunteering but neither get publications. Any tips would help. Thanks!

just read what I've written.
Honestly the re-attempts are obviously NOT that great. Won't comment on your step scores since there is nothing you can do about them other than did you rush your Step 3?
There is really nothing you can do during year off that is really meaningful other than (1) step 3, research (with publications), and pursuing something you are passionate about (3rd world medicine, meaningful projects, etc.)

you should also continue to keep up your clinical skills - obs, externships, etc.

-also make sure you get strong letters, etc.

Thanks for starting this thread, very inspiring!

Question: how many letters did you have? How many specifically from FM? How many of those from preceptors at programs, program directors? And how many from unaffiliated private practice physicians?

Also, can I use an letter from an IM physician if I rotated at his private practice, outpatient?

I also had low scores (~200 Step 1, ~225 Step 2, Passed CS 1st try). All high pass grades but for one honors in psych. I applied to FM in early October so I applied to about 10 places, mostly in the West. I called the clinic where I had 3rd year and got in touch with 2 attendings that I built good relationships with. They sent letters within 2 weeks. I also used an IM letter from the program director from my IM rotation. In the end, even with applying late and low scores I went on 5 interviews (was offered 7). Got very good vibes from the programs (letters back, etc.). I would not suggest doing this, but in the end, it worked out. There were TONS of spots open come January so you'll get off many lists during November and December.

Hello, playingfrombehind and others:

Thank you for all your posts! I find them extremely helpful! I had a few questions. I am reapplying to Peds (and FM as well though first time aside from SOAP).

I wanted ask essentially, "What are my chances?"...in addition to general advice.

Some background: I am an AMG. No academic difficulties M1-M2. Younger brother passed away during M1 after a bone marrow transplant from Leukemia; never really "dealt with it" until end of M2 which resulted in Step 1 failure. Passed on 2nd attempt with a 198, a thirty point increase. I remediated IM, as well. Pass on first attempt Step 2 CK (215) and Step 2 CS. Honors in Doctoring, Honors in Clinical Ethics, Honors in High-risk Obstetrics, and Letter of Distinction for Community Medicine. One Sub-I in Peds. One Sub-I in FM. Solid LORs. Four research publications. Solid EC activities (I can PM CV if anyone would like).

This past application cycle, I applied to 107 Peds programs. I was invited to 13 programs, interviewed at all 13, ranked all 13. Did not Match. No luck in SOAP in which I got one Peds call and 10 FM calls.

I graduated med school (again AMG) in May. My ERAS is ready to go for September 15th again with updated PS (Peds and new FM) and LORs. I am completing an accelerated MPH at an Ivy League school (will be done late May 2017).

This time around I am applying to ALL Pediatrics programs which are roughly 200 (last year applied to 107 as stated) minus a few big names and about 80-100 FM programs (number TBD based on cost).

Honing in on improving interview skills, etc. to compensate for my red flags.

Greatly appreciate your input and guidance and look forward to hearing back.

Sincerely,
Cgc217

You updated all your scores in ERAS right? I ask because my friend didn't and it caused him to almost not match in the SOAP.

Also, met another person today who tried to suicide match because of a PD telling him they wanted him so much and would rank him to match aaaaannnnnnnnddddddd he scrambled into my program...

You updated all your scores in ERAS right? I ask because my friend didn't and it caused him to almost not match in the SOAP.

Also, met another person today who tried to suicide match because of a PD telling him they wanted him so much and would rank him to match aaaaannnnnnnnddddddd he scrambled into my program...

I did. Yes.

Hello, playingfrombehind and others:

Thank you for all your posts! I find them extremely helpful! I had a few questions. I am reapplying to Peds (and FM as well though first time aside from SOAP).

I wanted ask essentially, "What are my chances?"...in addition to general advice.

Some background: I am an AMG. No academic difficulties M1-M2. Younger brother passed away during M1 after a bone marrow transplant from Leukemia; never really "dealt with it" until end of M2 which resulted in Step 1 failure. Passed on 2nd attempt with a 198, a thirty point increase. I remediated IM, as well. Pass on first attempt Step 2 CK (215) and Step 2 CS. Honors in Doctoring, Honors in Clinical Ethics, Honors in High-risk Obstetrics, and Letter of Distinction for Community Medicine. One Sub-I in Peds. One Sub-I in FM. Solid LORs. Four research publications. Solid EC activities (I can PM CV if anyone would like).

This past application cycle, I applied to 107 Peds programs. I was invited to 13 programs, interviewed at all 13, ranked all 13. Did not Match. No luck in SOAP in which I got one Peds call and 10 FM calls.

I graduated med school (again AMG) in May. My ERAS is ready to go for September 15th again with updated PS (Peds and new FM) and LORs. I am completing an accelerated MPH at an Ivy League school (will be done late May 2017).

This time around I am applying to ALL Pediatrics programs which are roughly 200 (last year applied to 107 as stated) minus a few big names and about 80-100 FM programs (number TBD based on cost).

Honing in on improving interview skills, etc. to compensate for my red flags.

Greatly appreciate your input and guidance and look forward to hearing back.

Sincerely,
Cgc217

its difficult for me to tell you what your chances are since based on your scores I can say your chances are lower than mine. I had one step 1 failure and was prev. grad but those were teh only flags- had numerous publications and relatively high grades throughout med school.

your stats are similar to one of my classmates applied to about 150 FM programs - like me received very few or none from the South.
Your interview success rate will probably be similar to his which was about 20-30% of applications resulted in an interview.
-He did not end up matching although he was focused on matching into PMR and had only one half-ass FM reference letter and no 4th year FM rotations.

-just be prepared to explain alot of the red flags. Although for most of my interviews they didn't bring it up.

-also I had only handful of interviews that ask to present a memorable patient, also to present a difficult case, and a few interviews were knowledge based - i.e. gave a CC in the office and E.R. and kept on following up with what would you next? Then what? order what next?, etc.
-but these "knowledge interviews" were only a handful out of the 40+ I went on.

-interviewing is really like a conversation DON'T MAKE IT A DYNAMIC where its question-answer-question-answer - make the interview flow nicely.
- just make sure you know yourself, know your CV, and don't make anything else. First impressions are pretty much made in the first few seconds.
-your entire medical school career (and life) has really been preparing you for these interviews.

-its like having a convesration with your colleague.