pyruvate dehydrogenase v pyruvate decarboxylase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownieDDD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the diff btwn pyruvate decarboxylase and pyruvate dehydrogenase and where do these rxns occur?

i found the following following off wikipedia...but i need a clearer explanation

Pyruvate decarboxylase
is a homotetrameric enzyme (EC 4.1.1.1) that catalyses the decarboxylation of pyruvic acid to acetaldehyde and carbon dioxide in the cytoplasm. It is also called 2-oxo-acid carboxylase, alpha-ketoacid carboxylase, and pyruvic decarboxylase.[1] In anaerobic conditions, this enzyme is part of the fermentation process that occurs in yeast, especially of the Saccharomyces genus, to produce ethanol by fermentation. Pyruvate decarboxylase starts this process by converting pyruvate into acetaldehyde and carbon dioxide.[2] Pyruvate decarboxylase depends on cofactors thiamine pyrophosphate (TPP) and magnesium. This enzyme should not be mistaken for the unrelated enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase, an oxidoreductase (EC 1.2.4.1), that catalyzes the oxidative decarboxylation of pyruvate to acetyl-CoA.

Members don't see this ad.

Pyruvate decarboxylase is located in the cytosol, while Pyruvate dehydrogenase is located in the mitochondria. Pyrivate decarboxylase is needed in anaerobic pathway to convert puryvate to ethanol by converting pyruvate to acetaldehyde and CO2 first. Pyruvate dehydrogenase is necessary to convert Pyruvate to acetyl coa in the presence of Oxygen so that carbons from pyruvate can go through TCA cycle to produce ATP.
Both if them are protein complexes that use the same cofactors lke Biotin, TPP and dihydrolipoate. Both if them have Pyrivate as a substrate but they produce different products.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk