Pursuing an O.D/M.S. OR an O.D./Ph.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dngk5119

OptMed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I did a little bit of research and couldn't get much information.

I want to know your perspective (from current optometry students or optometrists) on getting a M.S. or Ph.D in VIsion Science along with O.D.

Assuming that I would do well in both programs how would pursuing a M.S or a Ph.D would affect me after I graduate?

Will it broaden the possible job fields that I may get into? with considerably higher salary?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I did a little bit of research and couldn't get much information.

I want to know your perspective (from current optometry students or optometrists) on getting a M.S. or Ph.D in VIsion Science along with O.D.

Assuming that I would do well in both programs how would pursuing a M.S or a Ph.D would affect me after I graduate?

Will it broaden the possible job fields that I may get into? with considerably higher salary?

Thanks in advance for your response.

People with combined degrees typically end up doing research or hold faculty positions at schools.

Not sure about salary but I am sure you would find offers from pharmaceutical companies and other bid corporations. You would also be invited to speak on panels as well.

Good luck :xf:

I highly considered this for some time but after doing a lot of research i just feel that a PhD in vision science is not for me. However, if schools like SUNY, offered PhD in like bioengineering or something, i would definitely go for it.