Saturday O.D. fill in payscale

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IandI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much can a new O.D. pick up just filling somewhere on Saturdays ?

Is it an hourly rate ?

Different for commercial and PP ?

Different depending upon the State your in ?

Members don't see this ad.

Here in New York City, per diem private practice is $450-$500. Keep in mind however that the cost of living is the highest here so yes it correlates to location/state.

It's about $400-$450 in East of Atlanta.. You can go flat rate, or based on the # of patients you see.. I've seen it done both ways..

Members don't see this ad :)
How much can a new O.D. pick up just filling somewhere on Saturdays ?

Is it an hourly rate ?

Different for commercial and PP ?

Different depending upon the State your in ?

In Los Angeles and southern California in general, you can expect, on average, a low of $250 to a high of about $350. I've heard of people getting more than 350 and less than 250, but it's unusual. I think it might have something to do with the fact that there are about 3 ODs for every person living in southern CA. (Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration.......it's probably more like 2 ODs per capita :D)

Last edited:
In Los Angeles and southern California in general, you can expect, on average, a low of $250 to a high of about $350. I've heard of people getting more than 350 and less than 250, but it's unusual. I think it might have something to do with the fact that there are about 3 ODs for every person living in southern CA. (Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration.......it's probably more like 2 ODs per capita :D

Good thing I researched that before I picked the profession :) I don't know about the majority (~80%) of students however.

Speaking of which, how are the mountain states when it comes to OD's? No Optometry school in sight, looking good to me :)

I actually called an OD in Wyoming to see how it is and he's booked for 2 weeks :) I'll probably increase my sample size at a future time.

Speaking of which, how are the mountain states when it comes to OD's? No Optometry school in sight, looking good to me :)

I actually called an OD in Wyoming to see how it is and he's booked for 2 weeks :) I'll probably increase my sample size at a future time.

I went to school with someone from Wyoming. He would always joke that it was the absolute worst state in the US to practice optometry since there were so few people. Of course, he could have been saying that just to keep everyone else out. For what it's worth, he's not in Wyoming now, though. You have to really consider what it's like to go rural, though. It's nice to envision yourself in a small, rural setting where patients beat down your door to get into the only ODs office for 80 miles. Just don't count on there being a lot of towns like that, at least not ones that many people would consider for relocation. If there are, really think about what it will be like to move into a tight-knit community that is probably not overly accustomed to outsiders. Small, rural towns are not usually filled with transplants and folks can be pretty suspicious of people from the "big city." It sounds like a great idea in theory, and it could work out well for you if you found the right place, but relocating to a small rural community as a transplant is not easy. The welcome you receive might be a little colder than you expect.

Last edited:
Good thing I researched that before I picked the profession :) I don't know about the majority (~80%) of students however.
I'm in LA. The amounts posted are in agreement with what I've seen. Would I make more money if I lived somewhere else, both gross and net? Almost certainly. Would I be happier? Nope.

I'm in LA. The amounts posted are in agreement with what I've seen. Would I make more money if I lived somewhere else, both gross and net? Almost certainly. Would I be happier? Nope.

Well at least you have orals in Cali. I'm def not staying in NY. I'm a country boy at heart, love hiking, being in the woods etc. I guess I'm planning too far ahead.

You're lucky you can pull it off. I know quite a few folks in the LA area who have a really tough time coming up with their monthly loan payments so they lose ground some months (on IBR). I don't think anyone would argue that the weather in southern Cal is ridiculously attractive, but for many new grads, the income just can't support the cost of the degree. That's why so many native Californians leave the state to practice elsewhere. They're certainly not escaping the weather. :laugh:

Last edited: