Pulmonary critical care fellowship Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see that some programs have app deadline that is in march or april. Is is too late to apply now.

Med

Members don't see this ad.

Medalion said:
I see that some programs have app deadline that is in march or april. Is is too late to apply now.

Med

I think most of the programs have already sent out their invites...unless you have a good standing in your program, its most likely useless. See, I have problems re-scheduling interview slots , which means they are already full.
Plus I got a call from a program only after someone dropped out.
If you dont have money issues...go ahead. its always worth a try.
At the most you will loose 500 bucks.
GL

this frigging late from Univ Florida.
I'll really have to beg with my residents to change calls.
man, whats up?
and most of their dates are in March- i'll already doing 4 in march
Anyone got a call from Baylor?
PC said they were still reviewing apps...is that true or was she BSing me?
talk guys talk. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah im still waiting to hear from univ of florida and baylor as well. Fatboy got an interview from baylor but when i emailed them they told me the same "we are still reviewing applications" business.

it really is annoying how programs are letting us know so late and expecting us to be able to interview within a month and a half.

to recap what i got: wake forest, unc, uva, univ maryland, georgetown, george washington, cleveland clinic

rejections: emory, nyu

waiting to hear from: baylor, univ florida, mcv.

anyone have the email address of the univ of florida program coordinator?

invite from Cornell

reject- A einstein,philly

Just got an interview from Loyola :) today - there is still hope for more interviews - they offered me a day in April

Rejected from Einstein in Philly - still waiting to hear from 8 more places

Are there some programs that just never let you know?

but those guys snailmailed it to me.
Finally ,I can rest, never wanted to go there:) :laugh:

finally got an interview offer from baylor yesterday. a little late in the game i think

Would you guys mind stating where you are hailing from?

It might give those of us considering a future career in Pulm/CC a bit of an idea of competitiveness etc !

Thanks!

bigtuna said:
finally got an interview offer from baylor yesterday. a little late in the game i think

I also received an invitation from them the day before yesterday, I said yes to them but havent send the available dates.
Have they answer you yet?

fredo said:
I also received an invitation from them the day before yesterday, I said yes to them but havent send the available dates.
Have they answer you yet?

No but I just replied today

phllystyl said:
Would you guys mind stating where you are hailing from?

It might give those of us considering a future career in Pulm/CC a bit of an idea of competitiveness etc !

Thanks!

Phllystl - To respond to your question. I am currently and IM resident at a Community Hospital. An american medical school grad. I have not published any major research. Was involved with a hospital initiative to study intensive insulin. The only research I've done includes doing a grand rounds presentation my intern year.

I am going to be a chief resident next year. My board scores are alright, Step 3 was the best for me. I only applied to 18 places (mostly in the midwest) and have 8 interviews. So far all the interview feedback has been pretty positive.

The places that I've been rejected from so far are places that I really didn't expect to get interviews from (most are university based and haven't taken a community applicant in years). Hope the info helps. Good luck.

Got a call last week...
Have said yes but am not really sure.
Finished IVs at UAMS, MUSC U Minn.
will be going to Cornell next week. a friend interviewd there yesterday and did NOT find it an attractive program- said all the fellows did was bronchs...and worked like rabid dogs for 18 months in PCCM before turing into 'bench rats'.
Fancy living in Manhattan though.
How are interviews going folks....7 more to go ...and I'm already tired.
GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far i have a total of 7 interviews....do u guys have any thoughts on how many interviews you need to secure a spot... i know its totally random, but just wanted your guys thoughts. thanks

Road runner said:
So far i have a total of 7 interviews....do u guys have any thoughts on how many interviews you need to secure a spot... i know its totally random, but just wanted your guys thoughts. thanks

I guess the pre test probability increases a wee bit but thats it.
I dont think it makes a difference-and thats what is making me think if I shld attend all my 10 interviews.
If you look like a pro- your own program will tell u upfront.
if not even 2-3 interviews will still get you to match in your first 3 choices.
If you look like a post idiot with a cumulative IQ of 70 or below , I guess you wont match with 25 interview even taking into your 1 year of bench research and 12 publications with 2 in the press.
No .I'm not sure and these are my 2 cents- which could and probably are skewed after a heavy breakfast at the local Denny's.
GL to u guys.

Road runner said:

I've been told by several programs that they recieved about 200-250 applications and interview between 20-30 people. So if you figure it out each cut gets you into the top 20%. So if you have at least 5 interviews you should have a 100% :) chance of matching.

No flaming please - I know that's not the real probability but it makes me feel better when I think about it that way.

Hi guys..i'm new to this forum and wish u guyz best of luck 4 the interviews/match...Spirogyra,i think ur one of da active members of this forum and i had an imp. q 4u...regarding H-1B and fellowship...How does the process of getting a geen card work out??a typical case would be 3 years of residency + 3yrs of fellowship..so 6 years(and as per rules,we cannot extend it until 1yr of stay outside US)...So,therotically there is a chance that we may need to go back to our countries after fellowship!And do u know any person who managed to get GC after doing bopth his residency and fellowship consecutively(without doing any job in b/w and securing a GC).Although this q is adressed to spirogyra,any of the other forum members are free to answer..thanx in advance!

uciteshaana said:
Hi guys..i'm new to this forum and wish u guyz best of luck 4 the interviews/match...Spirogyra,i think ur one of da active members of this forum and i had an imp. q 4u...regarding H-1B and fellowship...How does the process of getting a geen card work out??a typical case would be 3 years of residency + 3yrs of fellowship..so 6 years(and as per rules,we cannot extend it until 1yr of stay outside US)...So,therotically there is a chance that we may need to go back to our countries after fellowship!And do u know any person who managed to get GC after doing bopth his residency and fellowship consecutively(without doing any job in b/w and securing a GC).Although this q is adressed to spirogyra,any of the other forum members are free to answer..thanx in advance!

I have a friend who finished his residency and fellowship and is now doing a job on his H1.
You start looking for a job in the last 3-6 months of fellowship and apply for 7th year extn via the new jobs' lawyer just before the fellowship finishes. that way you shld be safe- i guess, after that you could apply for your greencard/PERM etc so that you get your EAD in the next few months.

Interviewed at Cornell- not as impressive as i imagined. lotsa work and hardly any interventional pulmonology.Only pro-Dr R Crystal.
Loyola- superb program, but does only J1 visa, multiple pros-including Dr Tobin.
UCLA-el superbo. but visa again.
MUSC- great program,superb faculty- got a +ve' response' from them.
6 more interviews to go.

CHPulm24 said:
I've been told by several programs that they recieved about 200-250 applications and interview between 20-30 people. So if you figure it out each cut gets you into the top 20%. So if you have at least 5 interviews you should have a 100% :) chance of matching.

No flaming please - I know that's not the real probability but it makes me feel better when I think about it that way.

I guess if you look at that way....it makes me feel good too....I second that now!

General question for everyone interviewing. Are you guys sending thank you notes to interviewers. What is the best way email/snail mail? Also when I interviewed at IU I had 8 interviews throughout the day (would you send a thanks to everyone or just the Program Director)?

Hello all and good luck.

Just a quick Q. I know that this is probably a noob question but I am a PGY-1 IM res. and interested in PCC. Wondering when is the best timeline to apply.
Do I do it at the beginning of PGY-2 or PGY-3?

Also is there a point in doing away electives at better Hospitals in Pulm or CC?

Is there an FAQ about what to do to much in PCC fellowship?

Thanx.
D

Esp so if you have visa problems.
Actually away electives DOES help -because it gets you in touch with faculty in other program who know faculty in other programs.That alone will get you a few interviews.
My co resident has an Ivy League interview 'cos of that (and no other interviews!).
Well, start early....and GL.

Just a quick Q about these subspecialties. If one were to just do CC what would they be missing? (i.e. some hospitals won't hire just CC wan't Pulm also). I am at a DO school and have considered doing CC after an IM residency. Can I just do 2 years post IM and get a CC fellowship? Is this foolish? I am more interested in working in the ICU than I am about knowing every Lung Pathology on the planet. Also, as a DO do you have to do a one year rotating plus 3 years IM, plus 2 years CC? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

BMW-

CCM has a big burnout rate. Its acute medicine, one could practise it in the community where there are still open ICUs. What did you achive then? what PCCM gives u, in that one extra year is pulmonology which will be alife saver- u could do bronchs/interven pulmonology/PAH/ILD /Lung transplants.
What can u do with CCM-swan ganz? line tubes?
personally I started off with CCM them graduated to PCCM.
It not only makes money sense but also as a career issue.
TALK to your pccm mentor.he/she sld explain it better than me.
GL.

Whats the program's strengths?
research? community pccm?
any big shots there?

more importantly where do i stay there? and is renting a car worthwhile in Detroit?
GL.

spyrogyra1 said:
Whats the program's strengths?
research? community pccm?
any big shots there?

more importantly where do i stay there? and is renting a car worthwhile in Detroit?
GL.

Hi Spyrogyra...Thanks for answering my q the other day!Henry Ford is a very reputable hospital...and if u look in US top hospitals,it's in the top 50(better than some ivy leauge one's) in terms of Pulmo....So,a very decent program!!I recently interviwed at WSU and stayed at a downtown hospital(Hotel St. Regis---Not far from HF & they have a shuttle to the hospital).Actually,i was with my GF who was interviewing at HF for ID and they had provided the Hotel free of charge!So probably should be the same for u!Hope this helps!And also, keeping a car parked in detroit downtown is at ur own riskkkk!!Best of luck 4 ur interview!

Cool man, u the man.
I wish i could get my wife to pay for something I do... :laugh:
thanks

Got a call from Cook county hosp....are they crazy?
no ways, i cant make it now, will have to give up.
I guess some folks didn't make it so about 10 odd folks have this pity interview!
Anyways...Got a reject my snailmail from Duke.....".....it would not be advisible for you to attend the interview......if things change we will contact you...."
OK!....
By the way was at U minn recently, fantastic program,interviewd alone, excellent faculty, strong research opportunities, great city, loved it.
GL guys.

Hi guyz...interviewed at Wayne state univ....not tht gr8 program with main emphasis on critical care and little pulmonary..planning to start a Sleep fellowship next yr,but PD told me that first 2-3 batches would be from neuro. and based on that,would decide later on!!And for the persons interested in Sleep..BAD NEWSSSSS...we have to do xtra 1yr traininig xclusively in sleep!!No credits 4 the months of sleep done during PCCM fellowship!This is the last year when PCCM fellows with adequate credits can sit for Sleep boards...So,no short cuts!!This is qoute unquote per PD of 2 programs i have interviwed so far!!Some hopes quashed!!

I think WSU had a deadline of 31st DEC?
I had my wife in researching the programs...

What you say is correct. I dont think we can be sleep boarded, but I do think that you can carry the sleep credits with you-so if you can get 4-5 months during the fellowshp then i guess we would have to do 7-8 months more.
Did you know the that one hr of critical care has a paying factor of 4
while that of sleep( which would take less than a min to read) is 3.6.
Dr Nahum at U minn calls it 'the exit strategy'-thats really sensible.

Anyways does anyone know about these programs
1.St Caritas Boston-from what I've heard its not the best but its affliated to Tufts NEMC and not a bad place to do ur fellship.
2.Univ florida-i'll have to go coz i have booked the trip-How is that place?
3.U nebraska?
4.Henry Ford-which ill be goingto on the 31st.(this one's OK,that i picked up from the forum).
GL guys.
total 11 (I'd better match! seriously, if I dont that means I may have something seriously wrong in the way I behave or look!).
this is a silent forum ain't it?

spyrogyra1 said:
I think WSU had a deadline of 31st DEC?
I had my wife in researching the programs...

What you say is correct. I dont think we can be sleep boarded, but I do think that you can carry the sleep credits with you-so if you can get 4-5 months during the fellowshp then i guess we would have to do 7-8 months more.
Did you know the that one hr of critical care has a paying factor of 4
while that of sleep( which would take less than a min to read) is 3.6.
Dr Nahum at U minn calls it 'the exit strategy'-thats really sensible.

Anyways does anyone know about these programs
1.St Caritas Boston-from what I've heard its not the best but its affliated to Tufts NEMC and not a bad place to do ur fellship.
2.Univ florida-i'll have to go coz i have booked the trip-How is that place?
3.U nebraska?
4.Henry Ford-which ill be goingto on the 31st.(this one's OK,that i picked up from the forum).
GL guys.
total 11 (I'd better match! seriously, if I dont that means I may have something seriously wrong in the way I behave or look!).
this is a silent forum ain't it?

Do all of the above programs sponsor H-1B??Anyone interviewing at montefiore?

I could have traded three of my interviews with your montefiore's! my wife will ge going there from 2007.Only NY place I interviwed was cornell....and honestly was'nt really impressed.

Hi yhere..any1 recieve interview invitation from Northshore university,LIJ today??I recieved a strange mail from them inviting for an interview after recieving a rejection letter a few weeks back!!And today's mail was sent thru ERAS!!Maybe a mistake! :confused:

uciteshaana said:
Hi yhere..any1 recieve interview invitation from Northshore university,LIJ today??I recieved a strange mail from them inviting for an interview after recieving a rejection letter a few weeks back!!And today's mail was sent thru ERAS!!Maybe a mistake! :confused:

When I was interviewing at cornell, I met two chaps from LIJ, is that the same as the Manhasset program, those guys were getting 58K!!!
Whoa...U could probably buy a beat up cessna at that price!
off to Detroit my friends, hopefully wont get mugged.

BTW- Are you inetrviewing at Montefiore? I shld have applied to more east coast programs...%$&#!

BMW19 said:
Just a quick Q about these subspecialties. If one were to just do CC what would they be missing? (i.e. some hospitals won't hire just CC wan't Pulm also). I am at a DO school and have considered doing CC after an IM residency. Can I just do 2 years post IM and get a CC fellowship? Is this foolish? I am more interested in working in the ICU than I am about knowing every Lung Pathology on the planet. Also, as a DO do you have to do a one year rotating plus 3 years IM, plus 2 years CC? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

BMW-

Hey BMW,

If you do a dual accredited IM program (AOA/ACGME) you will save a year and still have the option for DO or MD fellowships. I am not certain if you can do the CC without the pulm.

just my 2 cents

spyrogyra1 said:
When I was interviewing at cornell, I met two chaps from LIJ, is that the same as the Manhasset program, those guys were getting 58K!!!
Whoa...U could probably buy a beat up cessna at that price!
off to Detroit my friends, hopefully wont get mugged.

BTW- Are you inetrviewing at Montefiore? I shld have applied to more east coast programs...%$&#!

Hi,
Manhasset is North Shore, not the LIJ. And you probably saw two of my friends at your Cornell interview. There are 5 of us applying this year for pulm/cc, and there is only one person from the LIJ. We do make about 55Gs as 2nd years, but there is a hospital in Brooklyn that pays even more. Well, there is a reason for it. New York and especially the area of LI where we are is extremely expensive, nobody can buy any kind of property around here. BTW, most of the NY programs pay in that range.

Was recently at Henry ford, the place is an ideal setup for CCM and pulmonary.Was a little disappointed that the thrust seems to be on CCM , not on pulmonary.The fellows didn't seem too bright,were busy in the ICUs.
Detroit as a place sucks, but everyone lives outside.
Clinical research seems decent.This place has lot of potential of research ,with the kind of population they get.
Any more input guys?

Nycom,

If you do a dually accredited IM program do they wave the AOA req. 1 year rotationg internship? How do you end up saving a year?

BMW-

nycom914 said:
Hey BMW,

If you do a dual accredited IM program (AOA/ACGME) you will save a year and still have the option for DO or MD fellowships. I am not certain if you can do the CC without the pulm.

just my 2 cents

fixed pupils, no dolls eye, flat moniter
I officially declare this forum dead.
May it rest in peace.

And since it has no official religion, I think it would be appropriate to give it a burial at sea.
OK guys, so long.

Interviews: Stanford, UMich, USC, UPMC, UIC, OHSU
Went to UMich, UIC and UPMC. Really liked the program :love: , they are very strong and offer exceptional clinical experience and very good research opportunities. So accepted their offer. :thumbup: :)
Good luck to you guys in the match!

ITE said:
Interviews: Stanford, UMich, USC, UPMC, UIC, OHSU
Went to UMich, UIC and UPMC. Really liked the program :love: , they are very strong and offer exceptional clinical experience and very good research opportunities. So accepted their offer. :thumbup: :)
Good luck to you guys in the match!

I did not know that PCCM programs gave prematches?
Is this PCCM or Cards?
Good for you man, happy for ya!

spyrogyra1 said:
I did not know that PCCM programs gave prematches?
Is this PCCM or Cards?
Good for you man, happy for ya!
Hi
Thanks. This was CCM and I think some of them give pre-match. I applied to Cards too and I got 7 interviews with one pre-match in cards too, but the programs were just average while my critical care interviews were in very good places and I really fell in love with UPMC and accepted their pre-match (it was a very hard thing to reject a pre-match in cards). Anyway, I think the answer is yes in CCM, Pulm, Cards, there are many programs that give out of the match offers.
Gooood luck ;)

Hi Guys! I'm preparing my match list and wanted some advice, I got a good feeling in some of the places I visited, however there are some others which I'm not sure I'm going to rank. I think among my top 5 I would include BU, Colorado, Brown, UCSD and Stamford. I think I will not rank Yale, I didn't like New Haven, nothing going there and I'm not 100% sure about the program.

I wanted to ask your opinions about the first names and any other data about them would be good to make up my mind about the order.

Thanks for the postings through the season :thumbup:

p23 said:
Hi Guys! I'm preparing my match list and wanted some advice, I got a good feeling in some of the places I visited, however there are some others which I'm not sure I'm going to rank. I think among my top 5 I would include BU, Colorado, Brown, UCSD and Stamford. I think I will not rank Yale, I didn't like New Haven, nothing going there and I'm not 100% sure about the program.

I wanted to ask your opinions about the first names and any other data about them would be good to make up my mind about the order.

But your right, its tough making a rank list,when you know so little.
GL to u dude.

p23 said:

If you're going into academics, I would say: Colorado>Stanford>UCSD>BU=Brown

I can't say I know that much about the clinical training at these places - only one I interviewed at was colorado.

How many places are you guys putting on your rank list? I only interviewed at 6 places and I think I will rank five. As I get closer to certifying, I am starting to get a little paranoid about not matching because so many programs have some spots already filled internally it seems.

bigtuna said:

I can't say I know that much about the clinical training at these places - only one I interviewed at was colorado.

How many places are you guys putting on your rank list? I only interviewed at 6 places and I think I will rank five. As I get closer to certifying, I am starting to get a little paranoid about not matching because so many programs have some spots already filled internally it seems.

This ranking seems reasonable, although I doubt if Stanford is better than UCSD. Pulm/CCM at UCSD is a very strong program, u may consider UCSD as good as or even better than Stanford.
good luck

bigtuna said:

Actually, for academics, the general concensus among pulmonologists is more along the lines of:
Colorado>UCSD>BU>Stanford>Brown

You will probably not be able to find anyone who would disagree with Colorado being placed among the top 3 pulmonary programs in the country. As far as the others, UCSD has very strong pulmonary/cc research, and is nationally very respected. BU also has some great research going on, although they don't have transplant or a couple of other of the sub-sub specialties, so it may not be as well rounded as you might want (although you may not want to deal with transplant, so that may be a plus for you). Stanford is not as focused on research as the first three on the list, and most of the fellows who graduate from there go on to private practice. The main problem with it is that it's a small program with a small number of faculty, so they won't be doing lots of research in all the areas of pulmonary, although the research that they do is high-quality stuff. It kind of depends whether you met someone there who you really want to do research with. If there's someone doing research in an area that you would really want to pursue, then it would likely be a great program for you. Brown really is not known for it's research, so if you went there it would be purely for the clinical training.

bigtuna said:

I wouldn't worry about it. If you interviewed at Colorado, you're likely a very strong candidate, and should not have any problem matching. Not many programs have filled spots outside the match. At my program, even though we have a lot of internal applicants, none of them are offered spots outside the match. I think you'll find that going through the match is the norm at most places.

The ERAS and NRMP stats are interesting
last year approx 650 residents registered for the PCCM match.
There were 340(?) seats.
The previous year about 450(approx) folks registered.
Looks like every year,the number increases by 30%, while the seats remain the same.
I also called up the NRMP to find out the average lenghth of ROL, but they said they did not have it.
I think approx 3600 folks have registered for the MSMP( all non surg fellowships) in the match.

Is it the general trend that in fellowships people usually dont match at the first choice? I read recently that most fellowship candidates DO NOT match at their top choice? is that correct?
It'll be really depressing to match to a program you thought, was average as compared to the really 'hot' ones you interviwed at.

There are a few lessons here-that i learnt the hard way.
1.Your highest chance is at your home institution.Work in that direction.
2.You dont need 'research'.Its a scam. if you have it, thats great, dont waste your time for some thing really half baked.
3.Good letters at the key.
4.Good letter writers are the bigger key.
5.Legwork is paramount. do you program research; it pays off big.
6.Interview early, not late.( i really screwed up that one)
7.Apply to a decent number of places. (botched up here too).

GL for the Match guys.

Hey Spyrogyra

You have been te most active member of this thread.. Hats off to you, This forum would not have been possible without you!!

Well, I think the most important factor is The person who is writing the letter for you. Now if that person is well known you will get decent number of interviews. Thats where research comes into play. It is well known that no body can finish research in 1.5 yrs of residency that too if i is Internal medicine. So it is important that you hook up with someone who is active in academia and research and well known across country for it. You may not be able to finish research but if you do fine you can ask for letters which actually keeps you above and importantly it gives you something different to talk about in interview. and this makes you unique,

If your reseach matches the area of active rserch of the program ..then Bullz Eye! you are already above many others!! I personally feel it is very very important part of your CV.

And if you can get publications..wonderful, now publications can be as simple as case reports or posters.

Now, matching!!

Spyrogyra, I dont know statistics, but it is difficult for any foreign graduate to get into one. I am a FMG and it is more difficult for me as I am actually trying for a couples match with my wife in a differen specialty. ppl say thats foolish, But i am trying and keeping my fingers cross.

Well as I understood from my interview process, the pool of applicants who are gettin interview is probably common and good programs are generally good and everybodys first choice are gonna be those programs which have only few seats, hence possibilities of not matching on top choice are high. But still that should not refrain you from trying!!

Well Spyrogyra, you gonna be fine, I hope you match wherever you want!! I know wait sucks!! well we have no other choice!!

GL

spyrogyra1 said:
Is it the general trend that in fellowships people usually dont match at the first choice? I read recently that most fellowship candidates DO NOT match at their top choice? is that correct?
It'll be really depressing to match to a program you thought, was average as compared to the really 'hot' ones you interviwed at.

There are a few lessons here-that i learnt the hard way.
1.Your highest chance is at your home institution.Work in that direction.
2.You dont need 'research'.Its a scam. if you have it, thats great, dont waste your time for some thing really half baked.
3.Good letters at the key.
4.Good letter writers are the bigger key.
5.Legwork is paramount. do you program research; it pays off big.
6.Interview early, not late.( i really screwed up that one)
7.Apply to a decent number of places. (botched up here too).

GL for the Match guys.