Pulmonary/Critical Care 2010-2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Supposed to be one of the best in the nation.

It's considered the #1 pulm from a purely academic standpoint. Critical care is good but it's not Pitt or Vandy.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your guys thoughts on National Jewish/Univ of Colorado's pulm/CC fellowship?

Back in the good ol' days, no doubt best around. Now, every different program has their own area they are good at. First, you have to decide academic or not? CU has had >95% of grads go into academics. You would be prepared for private practice, but that is not their focus.
Even amongst academic institutions, each one has their own areas. CU traditionally has been basic science focused, but is working on clinical research (Marc Moss is a huge critical care outcomes guy). Still their biggest strength is basic scientists. Other places are good at different areas of pathology (Pulm HTN, ILD, lung cancer, critical care outcomes, asthma, copd, etc etc). You have to ask yourself what you are interested in. It does not help anything to go to the "best" program if it has no mentors in the area(s) of research you want to do. Then narrow further based on feel, geography, etc.
All this being said, the clinical pulmonary training you get at NJ is top notch b/c it is a world referral center for rare pulmonary dz and occupational lung dz. It remains a tremendous program, very impressive.

I'm curious, how much value do you place on personal e-mails from program directors at this point in the season...if they e-mail you to say that their program was very impressed, is it more likely to be a blanket e-mail that went out to all of their candidates or more likely to mean they'll be ranking you to match? Experience from people in prior years?

Members don't see this ad :)
any general thoughts on Harbor UCLA and UCSF Fresno? thanks!

I'm curious, how much value do you place on personal e-mails from program directors at this point in the season...if they e-mail you to say that their program was very impressed, is it more likely to be a blanket e-mail that went out to all of their candidates or more likely to mean they'll be ranking you to match? Experience from people in prior years?

Hard to know what you think. Every single PD from the programs where I interviewed maintained complete radio silence.

thanks
Great Set of programs; though my feeling differ from JDH
1. Stanford (without a doubt)
2. NYU
3. Emory (this program is generally overrated)
4. U Minnesota (though location might be an issue)
5. CCF (cleveland; though slightly malignant from word of mouth)
6. U Cinnci
7. Case Western
8. UT-Houston/SUNY/U Vermont/UCONN (all basically similar)

Any thought on OHSU vs NYU? Or Stanford and UC Irvine?

OHSU has the better academic program, probably the better pulm and NYU has the better crit care clinically by the numbers. Though some of the gods of anesthesia crit care live at OHSU, so the academic crit care is better OHSU as well.

Stanford >> Irvine all day long, backwards and forwards, unless you're really into interventional bronch, because Irvine has some pretty interesting things going on there (though I don't know if they have an interventional fellow or not - something to think about)

Thanks! What about OHSU vs Stanford?

That one is more difficult. So . . . Stanford obviously has the bigger stand alone name and research money, but practically speaking they are pretty equal . . . maybe Stanford edges out OHSU, maybe, and the reason for that is Stanford has transplant, but the problem I have is that I simply like OHSU a lot.

If this is a decision you have to make, I'd have to say it's a fortunate position to be in :D. You'll have to go with your gut on this one. I like Portland better than the Bay Area for living for three years, but that's pretty damn subjective.

UT Houston vs Henry Ford vs tufts, any idea?
appreciate your input

Members don't see this ad :)
appreciate your input

Tufts is probably the more academic program, so them higher if you're interested in staying more academic and doing research. Henry Ford is probably the busiest critical care spot of the three. UT Houston is one of the lesser programs even in Texas itself, plus it's in Houston (ugh), which probably isn't that much better than Detroit (double ugh). So . . . I'd probably rank them

Tufts > Henry Ford > UT Houston

Any thought on OHSU vs NYU? Or Stanford and UC Irvine?

Again, I'll have to differ from JDH.

Stanford is probably the best program on the board 'reptuation' wise

NYU vs OHSU; would definitely pick NYU over OHSU. I feel that NYU has better training & better location. NYU lacks PH & transplant. OHSU, is nonetheless a great program, but not as agood as NYU & again depending upon you preference, the location might be a bummer too. UC Irvine is good, definintely not among the best in Cali, but I would think that it is quite similar to OHSU in terms of reputation.

appreciate your input

Tufts>Henry Ford>UT Houston

Tufts has a great hospital & their fellows were really happy there (at least it seemed that way). The people/faculty also appeared nice. The workload didn't appear overwhelming by any means. Iwould say its a nice cush program. Henry ford is definitely more work/service oriented.
UT-houston, just not that familiar with.

Again, I'll have to differ from JDH.

Stanford is probably the best program on the board 'reptuation' wise

NYU vs OHSU; would definitely pick NYU over OHSU. I feel that NYU has better training & better location. NYU lacks PH & transplant. OHSU, is nonetheless a great program, but not as agood as NYU & again depending upon you preference, the location might be a bummer too. UC Irvine is good, definintely not among the best in Cali, but I would think that it is quite similar to OHSU in terms of reputation.

OHSU is the bigger reputation academic program nationally. Outside of the eastcoast for which you do appear to have a bias, it's not considered anything special, and OHSU is a much better program than Irvine.

OHSU is the bigger reputation academic program nationally. Outside of the eastcoast for which you do appear to have a bias, it's not considered anything special, and OHSU is a much better program than Irvine.

Again, going back to one of my old posts, I think the west coast & midwest have far better PCCM programs than the east coast, not a doubt about it. But OHSU is not a highly regarded pulmonary or critical care program, though it is above average.

Guess, it just depends what you're looking for

Again, going back to one of my old posts, I think the west coast & midwest have far better PCCM programs than the east coast, not a doubt about it. But OHSU is not a highly regarded pulmonary or critical care program, though it is above average.

Guess, it just depends what you're looking for

I don't know who is feeding you information

Thanks for all the help. I'm still having trouble. But I really appreciate the input.

if you attempt to change the ROL list last minute and it closes out at 9pm. does the program use the last certified ROL that you saved?

I don't think so. The website even says that if you change the ROL then the old one is deleted. Sounds like if you tried to change last minute and you didn't make it you would be screwed.

just checked the site... says i have a certified list
sooooo relieved

what are your thoughts on Ohio State vs Temple vs Iowa?

Thanks for the input! But didn't you mention on a previous post that
"OHSU is not a highly regarded pulmonary or critical care program, though it is above average"
Are you training there? What are your thoughts about what makes it awesome? Thanks again for your advice!

Ohio State is an awesome program

Ohio >Iowa>Temple

No doubt!!!

"OHSU is not a highly regarded pulmonary or critical care program, though it is above average"
Are you training there? What are your thoughts about what makes it awesome? Thanks again for your advice!

Ohio State University = OSU
OHSU = Oregon Health Sciences University
hope this helps

Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. when you wrote OHSU, i thought you meant Orgen Health Sciences University (OSHU). Ohio State, is OSU, which is an amazing program. I thought the people were great, the fellows were super cool, the work they were doing was awesome. Sorry for the understanding. Ohio state is a tremendous program!

Ohh, that makes sense now. Just out of curiousity then, what do you think about Ohio State vs NYU?

Ohh, that makes sense now. Just out of curiousity then, what do you think about Ohio State vs NYU?

I personally really like both programs. They are both clinical based (both have 24-clinical months & 12-research months). Guess you'll have to go with your gut on this one. Location maybe the deciding factor. However, NYU doesn't have transplant, PH, & their interventional program is growing/new (where Ohio State has all of those; I'm not sure, but if you are interested in those areas, NYU may set you up with away electives in those fields).

Nonetheless, I think both are great programs.

What position do most people end up matching at? Any ideas

Everybody's different....
lot of people match within their top 3; there have also been people that interview at >10 places without matching & not being able to scramble

Hard to say. Everyone I know (all AMGs from university medicine programs) matched to their number one, including myself. I think there is a lot of self-selection in this process, where the best fit for you and all of your potential programs works out, so you tend to end up someplace you want to go where they want you.

The experience for FMGs, especially on visas is much more variable.

Okay, there's been little in the way of reviews for this year. I held out for ranking as it is likely very easy to figure out who I am by all the identifiers in my handle.
The following reviews are based on notes that I took after each interview, generally the same day I wrote all of this down to go over later. I started out a little more regimented, but also when typing all this out, got more tired.
Take all of this with some salt, these are my impressions. There is some hard data and numbers. As everyone is, I'm biased, I knew what I was looking for: CF, resuscitation, research. I haven't finished University of Iowa or my home program yet, so those will be following in the next days.
When I say "resident-driven" I mean that the residents are there and do the notes, initial evaluation, management and the fellow is contacted for problems or clarification. For example, my residency program call is like this, as the upper level resident on call, I am paged for consult to admit and see the patient. If I can manage the patient, I don't involve the fellow. If I am overwhelmed or need to run something by a fellow, I call them. On the other hand, a "fellow-driven" program has the fellow consulted directly, who then tells the resident what to do, the fellow makes all or is involved in all decision-making. A big difference...

So here is goes...see the next posts...

Last edited:
This is a fellow driven program

Rotations include:
1. 3 ICUs MICU at the University Hospital 18 beds
MICU at the Veterans Administration ? beds
ICU at the Ashley River Towers 12 beds

NS-ICU (10-12 beds) and CT-ICU, as well as Surgical Trauma ICU (14 beds)

2. Primary Pulmonary Service

3. Pulmonary Consult Service

4. Procedure Rotation

There were 5 positions at the time of my application, with a reported 25 interviews. They received a total of 250-290 applications in total

Regarding bronchoscopy, there is more than enough to satisfy most of us, with 100-200 easily
Also, rigid bronchoscopy, EBUS, laser coag, and cryo; thoracentesis, chest tubes, and Pleur-X insertion. Trials with one-way valves and lung reduction procedures.
They are starting a lung transplant program in the next year or so, getting set up and have scheduled the first transplants already. They already perform kidney, liver, heart, and pancreas in addition to BMT.

There is a huge CF program, headed by Patrick Flume with an incredible support staff and a ton of clinical trials and other studies in process.

With regard to Charleston, SC:
This is an impressive cultural center on the water. There’s a smaller town feel, but tons of artistic and cultural draw. It is the largest city in the state with tons of restaurants and incredible seafood.
The nearby Charleston College provides an intensely attractive co-ed population.
Cool/mild winters with a low of ~20F at the worst.
Summers are warm to 90F on average with a very high humidity on the Atlantic Coast. There’s a lot of rainfall and some submersion of portions of the campus during this time. In the late summer and early fall there are some hurricanes.

This is a resident driven program
3 positions during the year that I applied, occasionally there is a fourth position

Rotations include:
1. MICU - 18 beds
Step-Down Unit - as well these are likely to combine, becoming a MICU
A Progressive Care Unit will be created the floor below
currently, there is one attending and two fellows:
PGY 4 - rounds with the attending
PGY ⅚ rounds by him/herself, as a “pretending,” meaning that they are the initial attending of record, but afterwards things are reviewed with the attending of record.
The fellow is paged by Residents with questions, also by the transfer center to accept/decline transfers, otherwise at home call generally is without having to often return to the unit. Still you provide a considerable amount of procedural support
However, no specific note requirements are needed by this rotations, just procedure and discussion notes really.

2. Pulmonary Consult
Provides all PFT interpretation; consultation; bronchoscopy, EBUS, endobronchial biopsy. Generally obtain >100 simple bronchs in first year of fellowship

3. Ambulatory
all emergent outpatient consults are provided, which are generally very few.
Otherwise you rotate through multidisciplinary thoracic oncology, sleep clinic, and pulmonary hypertension (during which they perform RHC in the cath lab)

4. Transplant Service
pre-eval, pre/peri/post-operative care
many bronchs with transbronchial biopsies performed.

Active T-32 NIH Grant, a known pulmonary research powerhouse
- Center for the Environmental Medicine, Asthma, and Lung Biology
- Cystic Fibrosis/Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center
- Lung Disease Models Center - murine models
- Center for Airways Disease
- Clinical Trial Center - asthma CF
COPD sarcoidosis
pulmHTN ARDS/ARDSNet
Sepsis prolonged ventilation
outcomes studies with longitudinal cohorts
translational research
With regard to Chapel Hill:
A very nice college town, generally suburban and relatively affluent. There’s nearby Durham and Raleigh, and the Research Triangle. Amazing restaurants, tons of sports (obviously basketball is huge), and college students.
Climate is as you would expect, summers are warm with August getting >90F and humid. Generally mild winters with little snow and a great fall/spring. Extremely rare tornadoes, but as we’ve seen, it happens. Hurricanes generally don’t come inland, but you get the rain and winds.

Rather resident driven program
4 positions for this year

1. MICU at Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital
New Critical Care Tower with 20 bed unit, does overflow in to the Surgical ICU. Divided into two teams, each with an attending and fellow. Home call q2d, called with transfers and then call the resident, if I remember correctly. Very much a multidisciplinary model.

2. MICU at the VA 12 beds, usually less acuity.

3. CTICU and CICU (20 beds), NSICU (18 beds), and Surgical Trauma ICU (uncertain of number of beds, but with OR in the unit)
there’s a large heart transplant and cardiac device program
no call on these rotations, but you’re involved and get great education

4. Pulmonary Consult
usually have residents, and occasional MS4
includes requests from Medicine, Surgical, and other ICU services
you do all non-ICU inpatient and all outpatient bronchs, PFTs, etc

5. Interventional Pulm
largest in the state with three attendings who completed training.
they are starting a fully accredited fellowship, with more than enough for both the IP fellow and the PulmCCM program. They do EBUS, laser, stents, valves, thermoplasty, pleuroscopy, and perc-trach. You attend Multidisciplinary Chest Tumor Clinic

6. Ambulatory
½ VAMC and ½ VCUHS, with half day weekly

Starting new CF program. Strong and growing PulmHTN
Large and growing campus, mostly interconnected by walkways.
No lung transplant, but all other organs including: kidney, liver, pancreas, BMT, and heart.
Very large VAMC, being a tertiary referral center.
Mostly the research is outcomes, with sedation, quality improvement, pulm HTN, some ARDSNet, interventional pulm and lung cancer.

Richmond:
State capital, 1.5hrs to VA Beach, mountains and DC
Mild winters, great fall/spring, and hot/humid summers. The James River has white water
There’s a good ceramics community in the area, this is a hobby of mine.

This is a mostly fellow driven program
5 fellows in the program currently, increasing to a total of 3 yearly
14 faculty, hiring 3 more this year, then a goal of 20 attendings.

1. MICU - 16 beds
Primarily transferred patients as the Charlottesville tends to be young college students. The fellow is paged, and then you triage. If you accept the patient, you coordinate with the resident; if you block/defer, you provide a consult note.
There was an unclear type of call system that involved pulling in fellows from other rotations, I didn’t fully grasp the system, so please take with some salt here.
You do get Surgical ICU and Neuro ICU experience. Good airway management with Anesthesia rotation as well. Chest tube training with CT surgery.
Their goal is to have two MICU teams with attending and fellow each. Planning new Critical Care Tower in 2012-2013, as everyone is apparently.

2. Pulmonary Consult
Procedure rich with >100-120 bronchs yearly per fellow, with EBUS and other standard stuff. No interventional here. There’s a primary Pulmonary Service for transplant, CF exac, and IPF patients. During this rotation, you take outpatient call and one MICU call a week.

3. Transplant
~15-25 cases yearly, a moderate program with good exposure

Currently the only CF program in VA, but see above regarding VCUs upcoming program. Strong research in ILD, chemo/cytokines

Continuity Clinic is ½ day weekly
No VAMC, everything is at UVa
Most graduates go into private practice
Program Director is very supportive and involved.

Charlottesville:
Great college town, tons of places to eat and hang out. Campus is beautiful, just incredible with obvious history.
Climate is the same as above

Very resident driven program
Interviewing 28 candidates and increased their positions to 6 yearly

1. IU Hospital
Only as an upper level fellow, only senior housestaff run this unit, no interns and no new fellows. This is a quaternary referral center, visceral transplants are taken here: kidney, liver, gut, pancreas, and also BMT. There’s one fellow on MICU and another on consult/wards. Week on, week off. Your consult month is currently very busy, but with the expanded program, this will get much better.
In general when on call, you are paged for consult/admission, you then contact the resident. If needed for assistance or procedures (higher level ones, residents handle the basics) you will come in. This is for chest tubes and bronchs in general.
On the wards, you are the primary for CF exac and IPF patients. You provide documentation only if there’s no resident on the service, which seems to be less often. Also you do consults, as well as bronchs, EBUS, PFTs. >250 bronchs in PGY 4, and tons of chest tubes. Praveen Mathur is faculty, so interventional is great.

2. Wishard - county hospital
An entirely new facility being built for 2012-2013. You rotate through MICU and consult services. On the MICU, the resident is paged first and will contact you if there’s an issue. You get the usual stuff, but this is also a Burn Center and a Level 1 Trauma Center. Tons of autonomy, many of the fellows find this the best rotation. Lots of oscillatory for ARDS

3. VAMC, didn’t visit, generally the usual.

4. Methodist - private tertiary center, mostly ECMO and proning
Heart/Lung transplant, huge neurocritical care program.
They’re building a Critical Care Tower in 2013 or so

There are both research and clinical pathways.
Clinical Investigator and Translational Education program, results in a Masters degree. Can feasibly complete without extending fellowship. ~20 units, includes grant writing.
Tuition sponsored by the program.
T32 grant is in place.
½ day of continuity clinic weekly, regardless of your rotation. Usually about 4-5 patients

First month of fellowship is Intro to PulmCCM with no responsibility. You get acclimated, didactics galore, procedures and sim lab. Then start in August

Indianapolis:
Long spring/fall; winter is not usually harsh
Rapidly expanding city, pretty active with lots to do. Revitalized downtown.

4 positions yearly, uncertain of the number interviewed.

First year is all clinical, no research, but you identify a mentor and ready things

MICU, there’s essentially a Night Float system with Critical Care fellow in house at all times to supervise the Resident/Intern teams. PGY ⅚ cover on the weekends.
There’s a Cardiac Surgery ICU, you get exposure to CABG, valve replacement, LVAD, and transplant. You can do NSICU as an elective as well.
The MICU is ~26 beds, closed unit but you share space with Cards. Your patients are yours, theirs are theirs. Multiple ventilator strategies are used, APRV and HighFreq Oscillatory, etc

There are Consult months at both the UH and VAMC, and MICU at the VAMC. You do Anesthesia at the start of the program and the PulmCCM program handles all their own airways with Anesthesia support as needed.

Clinic, ½ day per week, except on ICU months and you alternate between the UH and VAMC.
In PGY ⅚, you add a half day during research months in a sub specialty clinic of your choice: CF, pulmHTN, sleep, etc. You get an hour for a new patient and half hour for one who is established. They have worked on staffing issues and clinic flow.

The hospital arrangement at OHSU is unique and pretty awesome in my opinion. The UH and VAMC are connected by a long skybridge on the hill. It’s somewhat isolated on Marquam Hill, but everywhere has a stunning view of the city and river, as well as the mountains. It’s built up considerably, with up to 15 or so stories in the Pavilion with the units. Parking is difficult, but they have a program that reimburses you for riding your bike, there’s tons of public transportation available that is very reliable and reasonably priced.

Research is somewhat basic science focused and this is a growing program that is rather strong. Of note, hemodynamics and resuscitation research by Charlie Phillips is unique here. Jeff Gold, who is the PD, does critical care and CF. I don’t have a detailed list, but the research here is varied and you can find what you want, this is a research center, but you can choose what you want.

City-wise...what can I say, this is Portland!
I’m extremely biased, I love the city and cannot say enough good things about it. Incredible restaurants, easy to navigate, bookstores, just everything you want. Mountains and coast within reach, great weather from my perspective. It doesn’t rain as much as you hear, it’s misty and hazy, but the actual precipitation accumulation is modest at most.

2 positions a year
This is a clinical program with 30 months of clinical rotations and 6 months of research, which is mostly Respiratory Physiology or Clinical COPD Outcomes. There are other opportunities, the PD is able to help and is very supportive.

Large TB and HIV populations. Clinic is very acute care focused as there is little to no follow up due to the patient population. General Pulm Clinic on campus, with new CF rotation at Long Beach Memorial Hospital. There’s an arrangement with Kaiser Downey Hospital, brand new large medical center for Med/Surg ICU with tons of procedures and laid back atmosphere.

MICU at Harbor-UCLA is 8 beds. Keep in mind that this is a very county hospital, extremely limited resources. The consult fellow will then follow MICU patient when they are transferred out to the floor and provide consultation for other ICU services. Effectively you are providing ICU level care for the rest of the hospital when you are on consultation rotation.

There’s a physiology elective, usually fellows take vacation then. You read PFTs, ABGs, exercise/physio testing, and pulmonary rehab.

Torrance around the medical center is not a great place to live, but there’s plenty of great places in the South Bay, although pricey in areas.

4 positions

18 months clinical: 3mos VA MICU, 3mos UH MICU, 3mos consult

all first and second year clinics are at the VAMC, 3rd year is at UH
your second clinic is added during upper years for 6mos in a subspecialty.

Most of the CF is coordinated through the Dept of Pediatrics, but this is a huge program for research as the Dean is a CF physician and they have an entire floor of the research facility behind the hospital proper for CF only.

MICU at UHCMC is 20 beds and very high acuity.
Currently one fellow and one attending, but as with most programs, they are considering splitting this up. The attending takes the transfer calls and does bed management, freeing up the fellow to oversee patient care, run rounds, etc.
On call you are paged by the Resident, but come back only as needed; they may transition to a Night Float-type system in the future.

Fellows on Consult hold 2-8pts usually at the VAMC, do bronchs and have 3 half days of clinic weekly in the AM. This can make time management difficult per the fellows. At UHCMC this is more active, but usually around 4-5 bronchs daily, and no clinic. Things move faster on the consult service, there’s more flow and you have a varying number of residents and students as well.

There’s a Code White team, led by a Critical Care RN that is like Rapid Response system, but more capable. They can provide 1:1 care, assess patient and then facilitate transfer to the ICU. This allows the fellow to coordinate and gives you breathing room when there are multiple things at the same time.
You don’t provide Emergency Dept consults, they decide for themselves.
Airway is yours with backup from Anesthesia as needed. There’s a little less in the way of chest tubes, but you can do CT surg rotation to help with this.

The fellows are generally happy and get along well, no issues between Depts or Divisions.

The city of Cleveland was not exactly different than you’d expect. I was surprised by Indianapolis, much nicer than I expected, but this was exactly what I expected. Not exactly the place you want to be, but it isn't Detroit... Take this with a grain of salt, you can commute and the experience is considerable with a rapidly expanding hospital system and good training.

Good posts, nice reviews. So many people come in here and just want to take, take, take, take and give nothing back to the community. Yeah. Well. **** them.

Good posts, nice reviews. So many people come in here and just want to take, take, take, take and give nothing back to the community. Yeah. Well. **** them.

I gained so much from prior reviews, I couldn't in good faith have those written sheets and not sit back for a bit and listen to some tunes and type them up.
One thing though, if there's something that I should not have said, please please let me know! I often put my foot in my mouth, and don't want to do so.

Of course, holding my tongue was pretty difficult during interview season, resulting in a huge increase afterwards...time to redevelop a filter...:rolleyes:

:thumbup:I'll be posting my interview experiences as well soon. :)

24 hours for the match! starting to get anxious :/
not sure if I should get my CV, PS, etc etc in case the worst happens...

24 hours for the match! starting to get anxious :/
not sure if I should get my CV, PS, etc etc in case the worst happens...

<14.5hrs left, and asked to cover VA call tomorrow...unless there's a code going on, or something crazy, all will stop for ten mins from 1155 to 1205 EST. :smuggrin: