Pubs... realistically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cognition

Certified Brain Stabber
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone always says that you don?t need any publications, but the more I read, the more it seems like everyone who is applying has some publications. Typically, how many applicants have publications? How many pubs do they have? What type of journals are they in, meaning Science or their university?s undergraduate journal, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

I had no publications at the time I was applying. However, I did give a 15 minute talk at a meeting at Penn the summer before I applied. Honestly, Cognition, I think you will find that the majority of applicants do not have publications (other than abstracts). Don't be too concerned over whether or not you have publications. It is much more important that you actually understand the research that you did/are doing, which will show in your essays and later in your interviews. Good luck.
-steve

I earned a second authored publication in JBC, but it was so late that by the time it was submitted I was sending it as an application update to various programs. I don't think it helped much, and it was finally published after I matriculated.

Otherwise, I had nothing else. Which is funny because one of my undergrad advisors specifically told me that I wouldn't get into Penn without one or two first-authored publications... Hmmm...

What adcoms are looking for is a strong LOR, depth of experience, and understanding. Don't worry if your work was not published.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been first author on two publications, with a third in the works. One pub. in Acta. Crystallography and the other in Molecular Cell. However, I agree that understanding your research and being able to talk about it in an intelligent way is extremely important. I actually asked my P.I to ask tough questions and put me on the spot during my group presentations. It's much better to get stumped by a question in your lab than at an interview.
If you want your own publication, make sure your P.I knows it. I believe the best way is to sit down and tell him your goal and for the two of you to decide on a project in which you can get data fairly quick for a publication. I wouldnt worry too much about the prestige of the journal. When I started out, my goal was one paper that was mine. I worked in lab over 30 hrs a week while taking 18 hours of classes and doing other things outside of school. I would actually go into lab friday nights after going out with friends and work till 2 or 3 collecting data. It takes a tremedous amount of work, but it can be your biggest ally.
But, most applicants dont have publications. So, med schools dont expect it of you. It simply allows you stand out in a crowd and is a way to show the ad. comm that you're serious about research.

utcrew said:
I worked in lab over 30 hrs a week while taking 18 hours of classes and doing other things outside of school. I would actually go into lab friday nights after going out with friends and work till 2 or 3 collecting data.

good lord i am such a slacker

utcrew said:
When I started out, my goal was one paper that was mine. I worked in lab over 30 hrs a week while taking 18 hours of classes and doing other things outside of school. I would actually go into lab friday nights after going out with friends and work till 2 or 3 collecting data.

OMG! You put me into shame........ :scared:

and to OP, I had zero publication when I applied.

Whether or not you have pubs will depend greatly on what your model system is. If you have spent 2-3 years with vertebrates, e.g. mouse, you might not have any pubs, and that is perfectly fine. If you have worked 3 years in yeast or bacteria and you don't have any pubs (not necessarilly 1st or second author) they are probably assuming that you are a dishwasher.

There are exceptions to the above, i'm sure. Mostly it will depend on your LOR's and interview to show you are interested and capable of research.

If I had applied out of undergrad, I would have had two second author papers and one fourth author, plus two national meeting presentatations.

In all honesty, research is sooo much about luck, especially with the amount of time you put in as an undergrad (usually not more than a year or two, part time). Everything I did as an undergrad worked and was publishable (pure luck).

I think that research experience with good references is key, and that pubs are icing on the cake. Do your best and don't worry too much :)

Treg

This summer I am doing computational and surface catalysis chemistry. I have a tremendous amount of papers and notes to read and work to do that I think I may sidetrack the books I had initially wanted to study on my own. And if I achieve 90% success, two pubs are due. It's very motivating mates, but so far my progress is not very likeable. some reaction is just refusing to work, but I have theoretically devised a scheme of conquering this b!tch.

Realistically I expect to complete 50% of the work.

And utcrew put me to shame.

Clinical research is a lot faster than basic science, and for me a lot more enjoyable. It might be a nice alternative to basic stuff though you still have to work hard. It's also a lot more independent. For basic lab to work you have to love your lab and your lab must love you, and also you have to work hard.

If you're doing research with the goal of entering a MD/PhD program, make sure it is basic science research! The MD/PhD programs want to see that you like basic science research, as very very few spots are there to train clinical researchers and that is not the goal of the MSTP.

Treg said:
If I had applied out of undergrad, I would have had two second author papers and one fourth author, plus two national meeting presentatations.

Just rub it in, Dr.Treg, rub it in!!!! :p :laugh:

It seems like there is a general agreement that you don't need a pub to get in a MSTP. Does anyone know an applicant who got a first author pub, but didn't get in anywhere? Let's say their GPA/MCAT is above 3.4/30.

Neuronix said:
If you're doing research with the goal of entering a MD/PhD program, make sure it is basic science research! The MD/PhD programs want to see that you like basic science research, as very very few spots are there to train clinical researchers and that is not the goal of the MSTP.
Does engineering research count? It can get pretty technical and challenging, but it looks interesting on paper and it's what I want to do for the grad school phase.

If I worked in, say, an NMR image processing lab and did a lot of programming, etc., instead of running gels, would that be MSTP-caliber?

i think it makes a difference how long you have been out of school, if at all.

ive been out 2 years, so far, and i have 3 pubs -- 2 from my work in college (first author on one) and one from the work ive done the last two years (first author on that one, too).

but it might be unrealistic to think that you could first author a manuscript while in college, and if you can get one, its a stretch i think to assume that you can get two.

that said, its probably more important to know your work inside and out, and know about the reasoning, rationale, etc behind it than it is to present a paper with your name on it, especially if you are NOT the first author.

in addition, about first authorship, its important, in my opinion, to actually have written your papers. sure, you may have gotten help from your PI, but for you to really OWN the work, you need to show that you were a huge part of the actual writing and revision process. it would be embarassing to have your name down, especially as a first author or something, and not know exactly every single point that the paper makes, and all the references, etc.

thats just my $0.02