Publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student finishing up my thesis. My PI wants me to publish a manuscript in the Tri-beta undergraduate journal. It is called ‘BIOS’ and it is peer reviewed. Will this hold more weight than other undergraduate journals since it is peer reviewed? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

slightly more... Programs will not know that it is peer-review unless you indicate that in your writing. Once published, you could submit it to PubMed to get a PMID number, now that is when publications become more noticeable.

slightly more... Programs will not know that it is peer-review unless you indicate that in your writing. Once published, you could submit it to PubMed to get a PMID number, now that is when publications become more noticeable.
Thank you for the response. I’ll indicate it is peer reviewed. I know it will have a DOI number from the journal. I think submitting it to PubMed would be a good idea.

Do you think there is a chance we could submit this in a professional journal? How big of a difference is there between a lower professional journal and a peer reviewed undergraduate journal like BIOS (I’m sure there is a decent sized difference in the quality tho).

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once it is published, it can't be republished into a professional journal. Pubmed will give you some credibility.
Not submitted yet. But that would be a solid path. BIOS—> Pubmed. Albeit not sure if it would be indexed in time for my app cycle.

Was wondering how much of a difference the quality of the paper had to be between a professional (low-tier) journal and an undergraduate peer reviewed journal. Because it would be alot easier to publish somewhere that is already pubmed indexed in the first place.

The bottom line is that it shows that you carry out a scientific project and were primarily responsible. This is one of the big check marks. If you can present this project as a poster at a national conference like ABRCMS or SACNAS, or present at a regional APSA conference, it would also help you a lot.

Reactions: 1 user