This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EttaJamesHH

Reaction score
I am currently a junior studying Biochemistry at a relatively competitive university. Since high school I have been working on developing technology for a startup as a basis for a company I founded (which unfortunately since had to be dissolved due to a equity disagreements). Going into my freshman year I used this idea to get a spot participating in Biomedical research at arguably the most prolific lab on campus, which I am extremely passionate about. I have truly found my calling, I love the work I do and now as a junior proudly have been trusted with full independence to run a project previously pioneered by graduate students. I cannot imagine myself anywhere but having a long career in medical research. I currently have been published twice as second author in ACS, with a third publication coming soon. Soon, as I begin working on my senior project (I've chosen to continue to develop my company technology) I can hopefully have a paper before I graduate where I am first author. However despite my love of science and understanding of research I have struggled greatly with my classes as a result of several factors, one of which being the amount of time I devote to my research. After a very rough two semesters sophomore year taking Orgo and Physics my GPA is a painful 3.2... unacceptable as far as getting into the competitive medical schools I dream of being able to attend. Any advice on how to make medical school an option once again for me? I will be continuing to take even more challenging classes this year and worry for my chances of improvement. Have I completely ruined my chances of perusing higher level science? Will my research show med schools I am still a worthy candidate? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA will not matter at all if you smash the MCAT. Aim for 520+. Add in 50 hours of shadowing, some volunteering (preferably figure out a way to connect your startup / technology stuff, teach science classes to underserved, that sort of thing), and you're good for any school.

You really need that strong MCAT performance so you can sell the narrative of the "smart person who spends their time on what's important to them rather than cramming/regurgitating for class". If you come up with a 508 you're just some dude who can't manage their time and priorities. You could probably still get in somewhere, just not at the top.

Also you'll need to have a good answer for "If you like research so much, why not PhD?"

Last edited:
Sadly, your research, unless award-winning, won't do much to help offset your GPA. The good news for you is that many schools seem to favor MCAT over GPA (and really over just about everything else, including being a human being). So, as the previous poster suggested, 520+ on the MCAT and you will be fine as long as you continue to get A's. As far as getting into a top school, well, without something spectacular in your application (like peace corp), the top schools are likely not going to look at you. There are simply too many other candidates that have both good GPA and MCAT. Your hope is to do well on the mcat and then apply to the schools that favor the MCAT over GPA.