Publication Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaganite

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the data/figures I produced in a lab were included in an original manuscript submitted to a Journal. The reviewers, however, scrapped my portion of the paper, and the final paper that actually published, therefore, did not have my name on it (my PI was a very intellectually honest person!). I have heard people mention that they included papers that were "in submission" on their publication portion of ERAS. Would my situation apply here? How should I go about including this on ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the data/figures I produced in a lab were included in an original manuscript submitted to a Journal. The reviewers, however, scrapped my portion of the paper, and the final paper that actually published, therefore, did not have my name on it (my PI was a very intellectually honest person!). I have heard people mention that they included papers that were "in submission" on their publication portion of ERAS. Would my situation apply here? How should I go about including this on ERAS?

Unfortunately, no, the situations are different. If you hadn't yet heard back from the reviewers, then I'd say it's fair game to say that your work was in submission. However, you've already learned that your work is not going to be published right now, so it would be not exactly truthful for you to say that it's in submission. If right now you're in the process of writing it up again to resubmit (and while this is pure speculation, I'm guessing that if it was only part of another manuscript, you may not have enough now to publish it on its own), then you could say that it's a manuscript in progress. Otherwise I'd just talk in detail about your work under "research".

If the paper has already published and didnt have your name on it, you dont have a publication (and its no longer "in submission"). So you can't really say anything about it (unless you want to lie). Not to make light of the situation, but I cant believe you are serious about this. Maybe I'm missing something.

Not to make light of the situation, but I cant believe you are serious about this. Maybe I'm missing something.

No, you have it right. I knew what the answer was. I'm just really bummed out to tell you the truth. The journal that I missed out on was Nature. To have a Nature publication that close only to lose it at the review stage is depressing as hell. I put a lot of work into the project, was told that I was included on a Nature paper, only to find out that my part, and only my part, was not included.

Regarding "preparing a manuscript," I did not see this on the ERAS form. Do you include this in the publications section or do you add it under the research section? We are actually preparing this work for submission to another journal.

Man, sorry to hear about that. Its already bad enough, and then the situation is made a lot worse because it is a "high impact" journal. Bastards.

Regarding "preparing a manuscript," I did not see this on the ERAS form. Do you include this in the publications section or do you add it under the research section? We are actually preparing this work for submission to another journal.

It's been discussed to death and I think the conclusion was that there's no right answer. Pick a place and put it there. Just be certain that you state MS in Preparation and be ready to answer questions about what stage it's in, where you're planning to submit it and what you think the likelihood will be that it will be accepted (admittedly a silly question which may be coming from people on journal editorial boards).

Bummer about the Nature thing though...good luck w/ the new paper. And don't hesitate to mention this if somebody asks about publications. It's not your fault that the work you did was removed at the request of some random reviewer.

BE (now PE)