Public Town Hall on Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In March, APMA held the Board Certification Summit following the House of Delegates meeting in Washington DC. Attendance was fairly limited due to the Summit occurring on a Monday and at a location where not many DPMs were.

Newly announced: there will be a public Town Hall on podiatric board certification at the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville this Friday, July 14, from 7:30-9:30 PM in Jackson E/F Rooms. Beer and wine will be served. Sign up on this link:

The following boards have been invited to attend:
American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM)
American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS)
American Board of Multiple Specialties in Podiatry (ABMSP)
American Board of Lower Extremity Surgery (ABLES)

The Town Hall will be moderated by Michael King, DPM.

The goal of the event is to give DPMs a venue to address their boards directly and provide input on their opinions for the future of specialty certification in podiatric medicine and surgery. Students, residents, and practicing podiatrists are welcome to attend.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, we'll make it happen, either Zoom or Teams.

Would rather have it interactive than just recorded. Will discuss with mods and see what they think.
I'm definitely interested in watching this to learn more about board certification. Could you please provide the time zone for the 7:30 event?

Nashville, Connecticut so eastern time then

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
...Board cert: one of the many podiatry issues that would basically solve itself if :

Pod schools could be selective and didn't accept anyone and graduate most of them ...
because their apps are too low without those low gpa/mcat students and even ones who've never shadowed ...
because DPM average salaries are low (relative to time/tuition cost and other similar time/cost career options) ...
because there are waaay too many DPMs when compared to demand and quality pay+volume jobs available.

But yeah, get better students (and many less of them) and watch as 95% or more of DPMs then pass the only real DPM board and get plenty of cases at good jobs... and then we don't need the other 'alternative boards' ... just like MD specialties don't need to have fake and alt ("additional recognized") boards. Just like MD/DO school and ROI sells itself and doesn't need endless bickering and crazy recruit tactics for seats that don't need to exist, podiatry could follow suit. But hey, It's fun to dream. :)

Instead, look at the trainwreck that is pharmacy job market, compensation, schools to see what saturation does (and how to start fixing it).

Boards are a concern, but it's mainly just an ego thing... and among the least of our podiatry profession's concerns. Boards (student, national, attending cert boards) will keep going lower if talent and training/competence at core schools and residency programs stays low. ABFAS and a few (very few) state boards are the only true gatekeepers right now anyways. It's too bad we even really need gatekeepers, but our DPM training and admissions are highly variable. Good students + good training = cert board is almost no concern at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
In March, APMA held the Board Certification Summit following the House of Delegates meeting in Washington DC. Attendance was fairly limited due to the Summit occurring on a Monday and at a location where not many DPMs were.

Newly announced: there will be a public Town Hall on podiatric board certification at the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville this Friday, July 14, from 7:30-9:30 PM in Jackson E/F Rooms. Beer and wine will be served. Sign up on this link:

The goal of the event is to give DPMs a venue to address their boards directly and provide input on their opinions for the future of specialty certification in podiatric medicine and surgery. Students, residents, and practicing podiatrists are welcome to attend.
You indicated that ABFAS was invited. Are they going to attend?

• Haha
Why are ABLES and ABMSB attending. Are they even relevant. And who initiated this meeting?

Since we all know that ABFAS likely won’t attend, was this basically a set up to prove ABFAS isn’t interested in this issue?

Just playing devil’s advocate. If ABFAS didn’t attend before what makes anyone think they would attend now.

As soon as I saw who is moderating, my radar went wild.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are ABLES and ABMSB attending. Are they even relevant. And who initiated this meeting?

Since we all know that ABFAS likely won’t attend, was this basically a set up to prove ABFAS isn’t interested in this issue?

Just playing devil’s advocate. If ABFAS didn’t attend before what makes anyone think they would attend now.

As soon as I saw who is moderating, my radar went wild.
Would you like light or dark...

Winner Winner Win GIF by Mashed

Isn’t it conflict of interest for the moderator? Is that part of TOS?

Reactions: 2 users
Isn’t it conflict of interest for the moderator? Is that part of TOS?
I’m sure the moderator is happy for a free trip to Nashville, free room and board, some meals and drinks, some honorarium blah, blah, blah.

More I’ll rub your back and you rub mine. I actually find it offensive and insulting.

If you’re going to have a moderator, it should be like having an arbitrator with a legal case.

It should be someone from the outside with no history with any of the players and no personal agenda.

Unbelievable.

I’m sure the moderator is happy for a free trip to Nashville, free room and board, some meals and drinks, some honorarium blah, blah, blah.

More I’ll rub your back and you rub mine. I actually find it offensive and insulting.

If you’re going to have a moderator, it should be like having an arbitrator with a legal case.

It should be someone from the outside with no history with any of the players and no personal agenda.

Unbelievable.

What am I missing?

Is ABFAS even coming to this? Otherwise it doesn’t matter.

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 2.07.07 PM.png

I have just canceled my dinner plans for Friday. Need link please.

• Hmm
  • Haha

I am proudly board certified by ABPM. I have heard of ABFAS from some of the fellows in my group. I have never heard of the ABMSP, and ABLES. My practice is thriving with ABPM certification, but perhaps I should look into ABMSP, and ABLES as well. This meeting would be great to view and possibly get me board certified in a few other areas. I appreciate this opportunity. Thank you

I am proudly board certified by ABPM. I have heard of ABFAS from some of the fellows in my group. I have never heard of the ABMSP, and ABLES. My practice is thriving with ABPM certification, but perhaps I should look into ABMSP, and ABLES as well. This meeting would be great to view and possibly get me board certified in a few other areas. I appreciate this opportunity. Thank you
I would recommend it. Lower extremity certified is better than just foot and ankle certified. And it's better to be boarded in multiple specialties instead of just one.

• Haha

PSA - as there has been lots of confusion for many, those reading this need to know that this is NOT an APMA sponsored event. ABPM has set this event up on their own. Just sharing this to answer that question which has been asked by many. Thanks!!

I would recommend it. Lower extremity certified is better than just foot and ankle certified. And it's better to be boarded in multiple specialties instead of just one.

I agree being certified in multiple specialties seems like a really good idea. Most of my career I have focused solely on the foot, but maybe I can expand with this new certification? Can anyone chime in? Possibly a delegate from the board of multiple specialties?

Thank you

• Love
PSA - as there has been lots of confusion for many, those reading this need to know that this is NOT an APMA sponsored event. ABPM has set this event up on their own. Just sharing this to answer that question which has been asked by many. Thanks!!
And by ABPM... you mean the OP.

There’s no need to belittle anyone.

Together the boards not recognized by CPME have over 3000 diplomates. Many of these DPMs were boxed out of CPME-recognized certification by changing standards and residency models.

What’s the harm in listening to our colleagues to help build a better, more inclusive future?

• Dislike
There’s no need to belittle anyone.

Together the boards not recognized by CPME have over 3000 diplomates. Many of these DPMs were boxed out of CPME-recognized certification by changing standards and residency models.

What’s the harm in listening to our colleagues to help build a better, more inclusive future?

I think everyone here is on the same page as far as helping build a better future. I am genuinely curious/trying to find out how to become board certified by ABMSP and ABLES. I love ABPM, but sometimes I feel like I need more to demonstrate my proficiency to my younger colleagues.

I will ask the question again. Is ABFAS or a representative of ABFAS actually attending this? If not then there is nothing to see or talk about unless all disputing parties are involved.

Instead of supporting obstruction, why don’t you ask them to attend?
Dr. Rogers, stop this insanity. The perception of many is that you have a personal vendetta and just can’t let it go.

You were involved with creating the CAQ in surgery. It didn’t receive the support of the APMA, other organizations and seemingly the ABPM board who subsequently resigned.

I know, the response will be that the CAQ in surgery and the lack of support from other organizations had nothing to do with the board resignation.

The ABFAS did not show for the first “meeting”, what makes you believe that they would show up for a meeting with the ABLES and the other “surgical” board not recognized by APMA?

Of course you knew the ABFAS would not attend. So the perception is that it is just another way to make them look like the big, bad wolf.

The ABLES and other board will likely be ecstatic to jump on your bandwagon. What do they have to lose?

Did you ever investigate the pass/fail rate of these other boards? Have you ever taken a look how many of their members have published in legitimate journals? Have you ever seen how many of their members are residency directors?

You can’t keep lowering the bar. I’m sorry Dr. Rogers, but as someone who’s been involved on many levels in the profession, each one of your recent moves is negatively impacting your reputation.

No one is telling anyone that he or she can’t perform surgery. The fact is that unless the case review is adequate and the exams are passed, they can’t get ABFAS certification.

And realistically, the VAST number of hospitals do not grant privileges based on cert, but base it on training and surgical logs.

I don’t believe ABFAS should block anyone from obtaining privileges, nor do I believe certification by ABFAS should be granted to everyone.

Someone can graduate from an Ivy League university with an accounting degree. But if they don’t pass the rigorous CPA exam, then they can still practice accounting, but are not a CPA.

I’m not aware of any “alternate” pathways and similarly, this should be the same with our profession.

Try explaining to hospital administrators or orthopedic surgeons why all these subsets of surgical boards exist in our profession.

The ABFAS has its flaws, but it’s the best we have regarding a surgical board.

The ABPM lost its board and support of the APMA, etc on this issue. Inviting the ABLES and that other board, knowing well that the ABFAS will not attend, is simply transparent and pathetic.

Maybe next time you should invite the members of the pedicure society for their support.

Sorry, but the minute you invited the ABLES and the other board you “jumped the shark” and took a hit on your credibility.

And how was your moderator chosen? And how much is this costing the ABPM and ultimately it’s members?

Reactions: 6 users
Dr. Rogers, stop this insanity. The perception of many is that you have a personal vendetta and just can’t let it go.

You were involved with creating the CAQ in surgery. It didn’t receive the support of the APMA, other organizations and seemingly the ABPM board who subsequently resigned.

I know, the response will be that the CAQ in surgery and the lack of support from other organizations had nothing to do with the board resignation.

The ABFAS did not show for the first “meeting”, what makes you believe that they would show up for a meeting with the ABLES and the other “surgical” board not recognized by APMA?

Of course you knew the ABFAS would not attend. So the perception is that it is just another way to make them look like the big, bad wolf.

The ABLES and other board will likely be ecstatic to jump on your bandwagon. What do they have to lose?

Did you ever investigate the pass/fail rate of these other boards? Have you ever taken a look how many of their members have published in legitimate journals? Have you ever seen how many of their members are residency directors?

You can’t keep lowering the bar. I’m sorry Dr. Rogers, but as someone who’s been involved on many levels in the profession, each one of your recent moves is negatively impacting your reputation.

No one is telling anyone that he or she can’t perform surgery. The fact is that unless the case review is adequate and the exams are passed, they can’t get ABFAS certification.

And realistically, the VAST number of hospitals do not grant privileges based on cert, but base it on training and surgical logs.

I don’t believe ABFAS should block anyone from obtaining privileges, nor do I believe certification by ABFAS should be granted to everyone.

Someone can graduate from an Ivy League university with an accounting degree. But if they don’t pass the rigorous CPA exam, then they can still practice accounting, but are not a CPA.

I’m not aware of any “alternate” pathways and similarly, this should be the same with our profession.

Try explaining to hospital administrators or orthopedic surgeons why all these subsets of surgical boards exist in our profession.

The ABPM lost its board and support of the APMA, etc on this issue. Inviting the ABLES and that other board, knowing well that the ABFAS will not attend, is simply transparent and pathetic.

Maybe next time you should invite the members of the pedicure society for their support.

Sorry, but the minute you invited the ABLES and the other board you “jumped the shark” and took a hit on your credibility.

And how was your moderator chosen? And how much is this costing the ABPM and ultimately it’s members?

I am reply to this post simply to quote it. That is all, carry on.

What happens to podiatrists who can’t get ABFAS certified? Do they have a hard time maintaining surgical privileges? Is that what we want?

What happens to podiatrists who can’t get ABFAS certified? Do they have a hard time maintaining surgical privileges? Is that what we want?
That is not what I said and you know it.

I was on the OR committee of several hospitals and was involved with Credentialing. No one was denied privileges based on ABFAS. We looked at experience and case logs.

The hospitals required cert by ABFAS or ABPM within five years.

How is diluting the requirements and involving what I consider bogus boards (not ABPM) going to resolve any issues?

Reactions: 1 user
That is not what I said and you know it.

I was on the OR committee of several hospitals and was involved with Credentialing. No one was denied privileges based on ABFAS. We looked at experience and case logs.

The hospitals required cert by ABFAS or ABPM within five years.

How is diluting the requirements and involving what I consider bogus boards (not ABPM) going to resolve any issues?

I know, I was just asking you to elaborate on the life of podiatrists (with 3 year surgical residency training) who fail to pass ABFAS. What if the 5 years time has elapsed and they only have ABPM, and the CAQ in surgery didn’t exist. Would those podiatrists be given limited surgical privileges to mostly limb salvage and amputation cases?

I know, I was just asking you to elaborate on the life of podiatrists (with 3 year surgical residency training) who fail to pass ABFAS. What if the 5 years time has elapsed and they only have ABPM, and the CAQ in surgery didn’t exist. Would those podiatrists be given limited surgical privileges to mostly limb salvage and amputation cases?
At one institution where I'm credentialed, they have "Core Podiatry" privileges and then extra stuff you can request privileges in. "Core Podiatry" privileges include, forefoot cases, rearfoot fusions/osteotomies. "Extra" stuff included ankle ORIF, scopes, brostrom, which required case long submission, as well as CO2 laser and administering anesthesia. Some of those things I'm interested in, some of those things I'm not so I'll let you guess which ones I applied for.

Not saying this is the best possible approach to credentialing or how it should work every place but I find it fair, it works well enough for me and my puny ABPM certification. As long as "Core Podiatry" isn't too narrowly defined, all of us could earn our living without it being unduly restrictive.

If your desire is to communicate your concerns and solutions in a forum that is not an anonymous echo chamber, and instead, directed to the profession’s leadership, then I welcome you to the Town Hall.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
If your desire is to communicate your concerns and solutions in a forum that is not an anonymous echo chamber, and instead, directed to the profession’s leadership, then I welcome you to the Town Hall.

Why do you keep bickering about anonymity?

My work hours prevent me from “attending”. But as no surprise, you decided to not address any of the issues I discussed.

Don’t forget, YOU have decided to post on this “anonymous echo chamber” and then find fault with those posting anonymously.

Many of us may simply choose to be anonymous or must due to work rules and regulations.

That does not make our comments or opinions less valid.

We aren’t all looking for a stage and notoriety.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It's all based on facility needs and policies as to what surgical privileges a podiatry doc gets... just like MDs.

Plenty of VA, IHS, small hospital, etc hospitals have general surgeons, ortho, etc who didn't pass boards doing cases.
Not very many big or academic ones do.
A lot of it depends what other local surgeons are on staff or interested... if most/all apps or staff members for the facility are board cert in their specialty for surgery and they have those cases/procedures well covered, why would the hospital risk having one who is not certified/qualified?

It is up to the facilities, but it is understandably going to cause some confusion when a DPM, such as the original poster, doesn't hold ABFAS cert... yet their co-resident holds ABFAS Foot and RRA. It might logically raise questions or cause logs and outcomes and exp and reasoning for not holding cert that many peers do to be more scrutinized. Again, it's up to the facility.

...I see no reason we can't use ABFAS as a (not "the") main criteria for any significant bone/joint F&A surgery proficiency in most areas... it's the best exams and review we have, as mentioned. Anyone with their eyes open knows that DPM foot and ankle surgeons are waaaay overpopulated and saturated in 90% of the country and facilities. Having the most trained and proven proficient DPMs doing the cases is best for patients, facility, volume for those surgeons, everyone. It is up to any profession to regulate itself. If there aren't ones who can pass the test who want to work in the particular facility/city/etc, then yes, it's up to the facility make the criteria more lax.

Anonymous forums are the only place podiatrists can safely communicate concerns about their jobs without risk of being reprimanded unfairly. Otherwise the financial abuse of podiatrists in private practice will be swept under the rug. There is no way to provide “evidence” of this in a safe way that does not put the “victim” at risk when it’s a widespread problem. While I think some of the comments are especially salty and may be a bit unfair or aggressive towards you, I think it’s coming from a place of frustration, I mean realistically would someone whose been screwed in their job be willing to broadcast it to the world for their employer to see? No, they’re trapped, and this is an outlet.

Reactions: 8 users
Anonymous forums are the only place podiatrists can safely communicate concerns about their jobs without risk of being reprimanded unfairly. Otherwise the financial abuse of podiatrists in private practice will be swept under the rug. There is no way to provide “evidence” of this in a safe way that does not put the “victim” at risk when it’s a widespread problem. While I think some of the comments are especially salty and may be a bit unfair or aggressive towards you, I think it’s coming from a place of frustration, I mean realistically would someone whose been screwed in their job be willing to broadcast it to the world for their employer to see? No, they’re trapped, and this is an outlet.

Exactly. If many of these topics here couldn’t be discussed in an anonymous manner, they would never be discussed. Sometimes anonymity is critical to discuss important matters particularly in a field where simply having a controversial opinion can have repercussions professionally.

Also..it’s the internet. All it takes is an argument and all of a sudden your practice is getting review bombed by some psycho or whatever. Not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Don't think of it as anonymous forum. Think of it as a real world clinical trial where all participants are blinded.

I was thinking of writing an overly involved troll post about something podiatry related using a Delphi method. Online message boards are very similar, except instead of a panel of experts it's a panel of sarcastic a-holes. What's crucial is the robustness of the outcome of the Delphi method requires all participants to be anonymous because their identities will influence the responses of others in the panel. Bottom line: we have to stay anonymous, for science!

Unbelievable.
What's wrong with the moderator? They are ABFAS certified after all.

there are boards besides abfas and abpm? why and for what? how many boards does a profession that works on one part of the body need 💀

• Haha
... And how much is this costing the ABPM and ultimately it’s members?
Did I miss the part where this was answered? ^
I didn't find it.

...there will be a public Town Hall on podiatric board certification at the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville this Friday, July 14, from 7:30-9:30 PM in Jackson E/F Rooms. Beer and wine will be served. ...
How was this financed? ^^

The ABPM BOD is gone and the new replace/appointed BOD is not elected... how are uses of ABPM fundings decided?

• Hmm
Did I miss the part where this was answered? ^
I didn't find it.

How was this financed? ^^

The ABPM BOD is gone and the new replace/appointed BOD is not elected... how are uses of ABPM fundings decided?
Exactly. That’s why I made the comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.