Public Health PhD Applicants for Fall 2011?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,

I applied to Boston University middle November (for both PhD and MPH consideration) and have heard nothing either way. Would you advise waiting before calling the admissions office? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected from Harvard and Michigan

Waiting to hear from Columbia(Epi), Berkeley (Epi) and Hopkins (HBS)

hope to hear from the rest soon!

Hi everyone,

My GPA is 3.5
GRE 1180- V 460, Q 720, AW 3.0

I am an international student, for this year I applied to 7 schools among which are BU, HSPH, NUY, Columbia... so far I only get rejection letters... I get accepted into Stony Brook but they do not offer funding... so forget about them

I am thinking to reapply for next year to PhD program in Epidemiology/Health policy and management/Global Health

Could you please advise me some of the important things I have to do in order to get to program like BU, HSPH, NUY, Columbia, UCLA...
I feel like I definitely need to retake GRE... what else there can be done? what are the good things to appear in CV? should I try to make connections with professors in the department? what are the best way to contact them?

Please share ur thoughts/experience.

Many Thanks and Good luck to everyone! :))))
Khako

Members don't see this ad :)
Blondie, how did you hear from Brown? E-mail or regular mail?

Btw congrats on UPENN! I think that's awesome.:)

Within the past couple of days I've been rejected from:
Columbia Sociomedical PhD Program
Brown Epidemiology PhD Program

Waitlisted:
Hopkins Mental Health PhD Program

katiemoo-

chronic disease at yale, nutrition at unc....leaning heavily towards unc at the moment!

besides, i definitely could use some "sunny & 70" weather after too many years in the midwest/northeast!

To all applicants/current students:

How important is it that a PhD program in public health be accredited??

I applied to both as well and like you... I haven't heard anything. I emailed them yesterday and they have yet to respond. I will let you know if they ever reply.

Hi,

I applied to Boston University middle November (for both PhD and MPH consideration) and have heard nothing either way. Would you advise waiting before calling the admissions office? Thanks.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now, I heard about Brown from e-mail with the graduate administrative secretary and then I got an email telling me to check my status.

Randomly, I received an interview from UConn yesterday...they want to see me the second week of April. A little late for interviews, no?

Blondie, how did you hear from Brown? E-mail or regular mail?

Btw congrats on UPENN! I think that's awesome.:)

Hello everybody,

Does anyone have an idea about the SUNY Albany DrPH program in Health Policy? Is it a good program? I was invited for an interview recently. Also, if anyone has interviewed for DrPH/PhD, as I am sure many of you have, would you mind sharing your thoughts about the interview process, or post a link if there is a similar thread elsewhere on this forum?

Thanks, and best wishes to those still waiting, and congratulations to the admitted students!

Southpaw12

Is it pretty standard that DrPH programs are NOT funded?

Is it pretty standard that DrPH programs are NOT funded?

My understanding is that at some places the school-based merit-based funding sources such as departmental scholarships, all doctoral students including DrPH and PhD students are eligible (and in some cases, will not be admitted unless funding is guaranteed - eg I think UPitt?). However when it comes to federally funded training grants they also consider research interests and advisor match, you may be less competitive (or ineligible) since most of them are for etiologic research, not public health practice, and DrPH is "supposed to" focus more on public health practice. Some schools will not always differentiate between the two types of funding, they may just try to maximize the number of students they can fund under their various options.

All this of course can depend on the school and the department.

My understanding is that at some places the school-based merit-based funding sources such as departmental scholarships, all doctoral students including DrPH and PhD students are eligible (and in some cases, will not be admitted unless funding is guaranteed - eg I think UPitt?). However when it comes to federally funded training grants they also consider research interests and advisor match, you may be less competitive (or ineligible) since most of them are for etiologic research, not public health practice, and DrPH is "supposed to" focus more on public health practice. Some schools will not always differentiate between the two types of funding, they may just try to maximize the number of students they can fund under their various options.

All this of course can depend on the school and the department.

haha I was accepted into Pitt's PhD program without guarantee of funding... although they are making an effort to get me money. I have another offer with funding, but Pitt is my top choice. Keeping fingers crossed... :)

I know they're not the most discussed schools on this forum, but has anyone applied/heard back from UIC or SLU (St. Louis)?

I know they're not the most discussed schools on this forum, but has anyone applied/heard back from UIC or SLU (St. Louis)?

yeah i just heard from UIC last week for the PhD program in HPA. I'm likely to go there if Pitt can't get some funding for me.

yeah i just heard from UIC last week for the PhD program in HPA. I'm likely to go there if Pitt can't get some funding for me.

Thats good to hear FlyinTiger, congratulations! I havent heard anything from UIC yet, but I guess no news is good news for now. I would like to attend UIC as well because it works really well with my current situation.

If you dont mind me asking, did UIC give any financial information to you yet? And, did you attend the Admitted Students day this past Thursday? Thanks for your help and hopefully Ill see you on campus in the fall.

Thanks Blondie,

I received an acceptance from UCONN, haven't heard about funding yet, maybe they'll give the money to you! ;)

Did you go yet, how was it?

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now, I heard about Brown from e-mail with the graduate administrative secretary and then I got an email telling me to check my status.

Randomly, I received an interview from UConn yesterday...they want to see me the second week of April. A little late for interviews, no?

Thats good to hear FlyinTiger, congratulations! I havent heard anything from UIC yet, but I guess no news is good news for now. I would like to attend UIC as well because it works really well with my current situation.

If you dont mind me asking, did UIC give any financial information to you yet? And, did you attend the Admitted Students day this past Thursday? Thanks for your help and hopefully Ill see you on campus in the fall.

Thanks! I received an assistantship @ 50% full-time. haha no I did not attend Admitted Students Day. I received a Fed-Ex two days before the Admitted Students day and I live on the east coast. Oh well. I would have went if they admitted me earlier.

Drink,
Yes! I am in New Haven -- my research interests didn't match up with anything at YSPH -- I'm very interested in behavioral/social/mental health policies/interventions and unfortunately when I looked at what YSPH had to offer, it wasn't a good fit for me. Of course, if it was a fit -- I would have ABSOLUTELY applied!

Hi blondie. Did you do your graduate studies there? If your research interests did not line up at Yale, how did that impact your training and/or experience at Yale?