Public Health or Counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positive psyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi, I know people usually hate these long individualized threads but I washoping someone had some insight or experience that would help in my minorquarter-life crisis.

Currently I'm a senior at small New England college majoring inRehabilitation Studies (Concentrating on Substance Abuse Counseling) and doublemajoring in Health Science. I started taking graduate classes at my college inRehabilitation Counseling also focusing on Substance Abuse Counseling andPsychiatric Rehabilitation with the ultimate goal of going right into a PhD programfor Counseling Psychology or Rehabilitation Counseling.

I would like to do research and maybe have the opportunity of teaching.

I started thinking of Public Health a few times because I have thebackground in Health Science and I have a strong interest in research but don'thave that much experience due to attending a smaller school.

My question is first is anyone has any insight onto what road might lead tomore opportunities?

Secondly, if I do go the Public Health route most of the deadlines alreadypassed do I wait until the fall to apply or go the online route? Our onlinedegrees looked at as equally as campus degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have dual degrees in MPH/MSW, that definitely might be something you want to look into. Obviously these are professional programs, not research degrees, but you could get your masters, work for a few years, and then go on to get a PhD in Psychology or in Public Health discipline. Some public health schools have PhDs in Epidemiology with a mental health focus (I believe Hopkins does), but these programs are competitive, and your chances will be better if you have a masters and/or work experience first.

You might want to look into Health Psychology...the field combines a lot of public health concepts with psychology, which seems like something you're interested in. Also, a master's or doctoral level program in health psychology will most likely be research focused, which again sounds like a good fit for you.