Public Health Faculty LOR & Science LOR Requirement Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedpl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to pick your brains here on a topic that I touched base with my pre-med advisors on campus. After scrolling through the AACOMAS page, it came to my attention that Public Health Classes are counted towards a Science GPA (which is fantastic news being a Public Health Major)

As I great up to apply for the May 2021 cycle, one of the biggest struggles has been finding faculty to write me Science Reference Letters. I have recently had a Biochem faculty member turn my request down because he felt I should ask faculty in my "own academic unit" which definitely stung.

Given this finding on AACOMAS: Can I ask faculty in Public Health Classes such as Epidemiology to write at least one of my Science LORs?

I look forward to hearing your responses, so far everything seems perfectly in shape to apply this May but this Science LOR scare has definitely impacted me quite a bit.

* Will be applying to Osteopathic Programs solely, always wanted to attend, happily see me there so AMCAS / PH won't be an issue
** I have plenty of lovely faculty in Public Health that I could turn to LORs come May 2021 (just as an added factor)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why not, as long as that professor can write a strong LOR for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why not, as long as that professor can write a strong LOR for you.
Thanks for reaching out, that is much more reassuring!

I will be taking Public Health Law & Medical Ethics with my Epi prof so hopefully, I will be able to have him write that "Science" letter from the standpoint of Epidemiology. If AACOMAS counts it as SGPA I guess there's hope.

I have been in great communication with a Plant Biology faculty member who happens to teach in the Public Health department (officially on letter head Plant Bio). He will be mentoring the class I will teach next fall so if things get tight letter wise, that's another last resort.

Thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user