Public health Branch inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiwty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be interviewing on nov 19th, and have a few questions regarding the branch preference selection!! Any Info is appreciated...

I read through many of the post Under USUHS. I got some ideas such as: Army has many more spots compare to any other branch, AF has the fewest and specialty is limited...Navy Physicians are responsible for Marine's health

But I did not find any discussion on Public health branch. I ruled out the possibility of NIAID-Research experience, because only two slots are offered each year. My states will not be competitive for the two spots. However, what about IHS (Indian Health Service Career Opportunities), there seem to be more spots available. Is there an advantage or disadvantage for going into IHS under public health branch?? It seems like public health branch is more domestic compare to all the rest of the branches??

Members don't see this ad.

IHS has 3 spots this year and I know for a fact that one of the women who interviewed with me in the first interview group put IHS as her first choice. This means that if she was accepted she will have gotten one of the 3 spots.

You should know that IHS has 3 major catches that might make you reconsider putting it as your number 1 pick.

1. You must choose a primary care specialty. You will do a civilian residency, which I guess means you have to go through the civilian match process, but your choices of residency are limited to FP, IM, Peds, OB-GYN, Psych and Rads.

2. You owe 10 years after residency not 7 like the military branches.

3. You will be stationed at an underserved native american location. I may be wrong about this, (so do your own research) but I believe most such locations are located on reservations, which are mostly located in places like the midwest, south west and AK.

So if you know for sure that you want to do one of the allowed specialties, are passionate about a career in public service, (you'd be working for uncle sam for the next 17-19 years) and don't mind working in OK, AK or ND, then IHS may be right for you.

well, thanks for your answer,

I guess 3 spots and live in the indian reservation for the next 10+ years is not really an option for me...

My states will not be competitive for the two spots.

They determine if they want to offer you a seat in the class and then look at your rankings. So if you get in the class and put NIH as your first choice and their is still a spot left its yours. So if NIH is what you truly want rank it first.