Public Health applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In general, there's just one application with a personal statement, 3 letters of recommendation, GRE scores, transcripts, and no interviews. If you're applying for specific scholarships/fellowships/etc., there may be additional forms or procedures.

Way to be prepared...wow... :)

hi,

yeah you are probably the earliest planner i've seen!! the application process includes all the things namazu has listed...however sometimes as for example the U of Mich-Ann Arbor health management and policy focus MPH requires you to answer a few questions instead of submitting a statement of purpose. hope this helps.

good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
deleted

Last edited:
Hi,
I doubt you will have to take GRE scores as some schools do accept MCAT scores. What about the school where you are getting medical education? Is there a public health program at your school? If so, it should be easier for you to get into the mph program where you are studying medicine.

Honestly, though, I think what previous posters said is perfectly right regarding what you need for applying for mph programs.

USArmyDoc said:
Well not really, I am planning on doing my MPH between my second and third year. That would mean I would start applying next year sometime or so. Either way, I want to get all necessary things down so I can be competitive. If I did it for medical school, I might of had more successful.

I recently finished my MPH and when I applied, there was just one application - some schools only had a general personal statement and some had multiple essays. I did not have to interview, though it may be a good idea to contact a few faculty in your area of interest before submitting your application just so that they are on the alert that your application is on its way. When you write your statement, make sure you are clear about how you intend to integrate the training you receive into your future work - they are looking for (1) that you are commited to the field of public health as evidenced by your past experiences, (2) that your interests match those of faculty in the program, and (3) most importantly, your potential to contribute to the field after you are done.

Good luck!

USArmyDoc said:
Hey guys,
As guys might be able to tell, I am starting to ramp up for my public health application even though I just am winding down with my med school application. The reason why I am getting on top of this so soon is because I like to learn about the applications etc. prior to applying. I wish I would of done this for med school. Anyway, what is it like? Is there a primary application and then secondary? Lots of essays, etc? Do I need to go on the interview trail again? Any info is great guys!

Army,

My husband is a MD/MPH student and did not apply for the MPH until after his first year of medical school was nearly complete. He did not have to do the GRE, as the MCATs counted, but was required to submit three letters of recommendation and a personal statement about "Why he wanted to pursue public health" and "what would having a degree do?"