PTCAS problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrWiggles01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting a lot of rejections through PTCAS? :(

Looks like I'll be applying for the second time next year!

Members don't see this ad.

The major problem is that PTCAS has made many more students available to many different schools. In the past, people on the east coast would generally not bother applying, one-by-one, to many western schools. But now, with one application on PTCAS, its more of a "what-the-heck, why not" mentality.

This had made the applicant pools larger for nearly every school, and hence, more and more rejection letters being sent out.

What are you personal stats and where did you apply for school? This is the first year that PTCAS is being used so there are going to bugs that need to be worked out, but I haven't had a problem with them. They received all my information and processed it in a timely manner.

Perhaps the schools you applied to where heavily impacted this year because the applicant pool has gotten much larger. I know that is true for all the schools out here in CA. I got one rejection, but I'm on a lot of waitlists. I think if I applied last year I might have been accepted to all the schools that waitlisted me this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hit right on the nose!

I, Myself did the same with USC, Temple, and Touro, What the Heck. I wouldn't have bothered with them if it was an individual application.

This is why everyone is saying PT is now becoming as competitive as MD/DO. They looking for better students, PtCAS is helping them find better students. My advice work against the curve, apply to schools that are not part of PTCAS.

The major problem is that PTCAS has made many more students available to many different schools. In the past, people on the east coast would generally not bother applying, one-by-one, to many western schools. But now, with one application on PTCAS, its more of a "what-the-heck, why not" mentality.

This had made the applicant pools larger for nearly every school, and hence, more and more rejection letters being sent out.

What are you personal stats and where did you apply for school? This is the first year that PTCAS is being used so there are going to bugs that need to be worked out, but I haven't had a problem with them. They received all my information and processed it in a timely manner.

Perhaps the schools you applied to where heavily impacted this year because the applicant pool has gotten much larger. I know that is true for all the schools out here in CA. I got one rejection, but I'm on a lot of waitlists. I think if I applied last year I might have been accepted to all the schools that waitlisted me this year.

GPA: 3.02
Science GPA 3.4
GRE:1290

I applied to a lot of schools in the NY/NJ area (rejected from all but UMDNJ-Camden [waitlisted]). Oh well, life's a b#tch!

A no offense dude, but WTF!!!! you have great stats. how did your interviews go? How many observations hours did you have? What was ur Resume, EC, and Personal Statements like?

I would double check ur stuff to see if you made a mistake somewhere. Also are you a Jr, Sr, completed (in) college? this might matter more.

If you want PM me if you think I am getting too personal questions.

GPA: 3.02
Science GPA 3.4
GRE:1290

I applied to a lot of schools in the NY/NJ area (rejected from all but UMDNJ-Camden [waitlisted]). Oh well, life's a b#tch!

I second what Bigshoguns said. Your stats should have gotten you in somewhere.

A no offense dude, but WTF!!!! you have great stats. how did your interviews go? How many observations hours did you have? What was ur Resume, EC, and Personal Statements like?

I would double check ur stuff to see if you made a mistake somewhere. Also are you a Jr, Sr, completed (in) college? this might matter more.

If you want PM me if you think I am getting too personal questions.

I was a personal trainer for seven years, 100 hr observation, and went to what some people percieve to be a good university. I think PT programs don't quite realize that working as a personal trainer is very similar to that of what goes on in orthopedic PT (and manual PT). I think they percieve personal trainers as people who simply yell PUSH!

Anyhow, as I just got another rejection from Seton Hall the other day, it's pretty clear that the NJ/NYC region of PT isn't digging my credientials.

I second what Bigshoguns said. Your stats should have gotten you in somewhere.

Here's the official rejection list:

Columbia (can't complain), NYIT, UMDNJ-Newark; New York Medical College, Seton Hall

Waitlisted: UMDNJ-Camden. One of my rec letters got there very late (despite having interviewed in December), and I think since it got there late that my file got reviewed too late in the admissions cycle for me to get accepted. Word to the wise: get on your people to send out your rec letters on time!

Have you thought about applying to Mercy or Dominican? It looks like your older then the conventional students applying. Try the weekend programs they "like" students that are 27+.

Also YES getting ur packet together is a BIG BIG BIG part. anything late can make or break you. Sorry to hear that man.

Don't worry reapply and try to get your stuff in on time. ur credentials look good.

Here's the official rejection list:

Columbia (can't complain), NYIT, UMDNJ-Newark; New York Medical College, Seton Hall

Waitlisted: UMDNJ-Camden. One of my rec letters got there very late (despite having interviewed in December), and I think since it got there late that my file got reviewed too late in the admissions cycle for me to get accepted. Word to the wise: get on your people to send out your rec letters on time!

Here's some stats for yea
GPA: 3.5
Prereq GPA: 3.6
GRE: 1000 (I Guess gre's matter a lot)

Extra: Kines Club, Pre PT club, Health and Human Development Honor Society, CPR first aide certified, Work a Part Time job on campus, Power Lift with U.S.A.P.L, 300 PT observation hours as intern and aide at Retirement Home and University Orthopedics.

Undergrad: Penn State (Main Campus) University Park - Kinesiology

APPLIED: Temple, Thomas Jefferson, and Arcadia

REJECTIONS: Temple, Thomas Jefferson, and Arcadia =0(

Guess I'll be applying with everyone as well, four years of working hard did not pay off...

Extra: Kines Club, Pre PT club, Health and Human Development Honor Society, CPR first aide certified, Work a Part Time job on campus, Power Lift with U.S.A.P.L, 300 PT observation hours as intern and aide at Retirement Home and University Orthopedics.

Guess I'll be applying with everyone as well, four years of working hard did not pay off...

Wow. What did you say in your interview? That you hate PT?

Kidding aside, those are some decent stats. I am pretty surprised you did not get accepted.

Your stats are good, but not Great. I am not being offensive or mocking you, but you kinda applied to only the top ranked schools. Your stats are not that high for those top ranked schools. If you applied to Drexel, UMDNJ, NYIT, I am confident you would have gotten in. Arcadia, Thomas Jefferson, and Temple are like Top 25.

All I can say is don't get down on yourself, think about next year and how you can further strengthen your portfolio. Think of this as a chance to make tweaks and making yourself shine.