PTA with desire to be DPT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p_phelps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I'm just looking for some feedback and insight. First off, I currently have a Bachelors degree from UNT in kinesiology with a GPA 3.34 and pre-req around 3.0. I applied to many DPT programs but did not even get an interview invitation. I had to start looking for alternatives and so I applied to some Doc of Chiro schools and was accepted but my passion is for PT and eventually turned them down. I am now currently in a PTA program and doing well. My desire to be a DPT is stronger than ever as my education in pt has grown. I would like some feedback on what my chances of applying and getting in if I continue to do very well in PTA school and with 3 different setting with clinical experience (ortho,neuro, and acute) of getting into a DPT program. I also have zero issue with relocating for a school.

Thanks,

Preston

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply for DPT programs this cycle? Are you just waiting and while you're waiting you're enrolled in a PTA program? I am currently a licensed PTA. I decided to get my PTA degree so that I could work and get experience in the field I love before finishing up my bachelors and applying for DPT. Also, my plan was, to save some money so that I would be able to take out less in student loans. I cannot tell you if it increases your chance of getting in to a school, as I have not been accepted yet, I'm still waiting. You may have to take some classes over to increase your GPA, I'm already thinking I will be doing this if I am not accepted this time around. Good luck to you!

I did not apply for this cycle since I'm still in PTA school. Yeah as of now whenever I'm done here I'm planning to apply for DPT programs again! Thanks best of luck to you as well!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think having that hands on experience working in the field and not just observing will help you for sure. I do agree with LJ2009 that you should retake some classes and bring up your GPA.

From the schools I've interviewed with so far that seems to be one of the most important parts of getting even an invitation to interview. I admire your perseverance. Keep pushing forward!

No matter how well you are doing in PTA school, you need to consider retaking some pre reqs to get your pGPA up before applying again. (hopefully your PTA school GPA will help boost your cumGPA). I think the other big piece to make sure it's clear for you and the admissions committee that you want to be a DPT versus a PTA (this may be some current shadowing of DPTs before applying). Don't fall into the trap that going to PTA school alone is enough to boost your application.