PT or another medical field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_FNG_

PT, DPT, OCS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few people that post here that are trained PTs that are focusing on transitioning on a new path i.e. MD, DO, PA. My question is if this a common occurence in the PT field because I struggle with this question and don't want to continue two more years of school for a career that I feel isn't adequete. I know that prior investigation might have helped a little but until you are in the practicing profession you don't have a full handle on the scope of your responsibilities. So this post is to see how many people feel that PT wasn't the path they should've taken in the first place. I struggle with the idea that I'll get done with PT schooling and feel like I should/could do much more. I guess this post is just trying to feel out others believes on their ideas about the PT profession as a whole/ culmination of there health provider career.

Follow up question, did any practing PTs have the same ideas until they got in the field to realize that PT was far more inspiring that originally thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually scheduled to start dental school next month but I've been having a lot of doubts. I have been thinking about going to PT school instead. I think it would really compliment my lifestyle and interests. I'm curious as to why so many people feel the need for a career change as well.

"Follow up question, did any practing PTs have the same ideas until they got in the field to realize that PT was far more inspiring that originally thought. "

I have been inspired and love what I do. I have been a PT for 15 years and have not considered Med school since I was a Jr. in college. I like the contact with patients and the hours. No beeper!!

Members don't see this ad :)
As the son of a DPT mother I can tell you that Physical Therapy is the way to go. She makes a very good living and she likes what she does. All of our friends and family call her when they are experiencing pain, get injured, or are scheduled for surgury, or even for general medical information. She helps many people get through some rough times in their lives including old age. She has many friends who are physicians that call her both at work and home (she works with 2 of them). She has intense knowledge of musculoskeletal anatomy and often shows off to my girlfriend (much to her dismay). LOL! In all honesty, PT is a great field, TRUST ME! If anyone has the opportunity to enter this field don't pass it up. Also I just wanted to share with some of you that some of the DPT programs are hard to get into. If you don't believe that call some of the programs at major medical schools in the North east and ask them how long their wait list is. You will be suprised, this ain't chiro school admissions.

Good luck to anyone entering the field!:luck:

Britton

Sorry for the typos "surgery", ect ......:oops:

First off, PT is a great field like other posters have said. Some of my other posts may have made me sound like it isn't, but you can definitely have a great impact on people's lives on a daily basis. I personally had a very quick road into the field. I was having quite a few problems right after I graduated college and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I got my volunteer hours completed in two weeks, took the GRE, and finished 6 prereqs within a six month time period before entering school. Most of it was a whirlwind experience and I entered therapy not fully knowing if it was good fit for my temperment, lifestyle, interests, etc. I was going to try to take the MCAT before I started PT school, but decided that I should see where therapy could take me. All throughout school, I wasn't completed enthused about what I was doing, but I graduated anyways. As soon as I got out, I felt a "calling" back to medical school, which is what I entered college to do in the first place, and went full tilt towards that goal while working FT as a PT. As a practicing therapist, I enjoyed the daily interactions with the patients and most colleagues, but the actual work itself wasn't fulfilling. In acute care and SNF, I really disliked performing patient transfers and felt like ambulating patients was not what I wanted to do the rest of my career. As an outpatient PT, I felt like my training was used more, but it was getting so repetitive, and I needed less long-term patient interaction. Also, it takes a long time to rehabilitate someone and I wanted to see more concrete results on a daily basis.
I think the majority of therapists have considered making a switch at one point in their careers, however, only a small percentage actually do. You'll find more people looking to go to medical school on this forum because it's primarily for aspiring, in training, or current doctors. Much success in whatever you decide.

First off, PT is a great field like other posters have said. Some of my other posts may have made me sound like it isn't, but you can definitely have a great impact on people's lives on a daily basis. I personally had a very quick road into the field. I was having quite a few problems right after I graduated college and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I got my volunteer hours completed in two weeks, took the GRE, and finished 6 prereqs within a six month time period before entering school. Most of it was a whirlwind experience and I entered therapy not fully knowing if it was good fit for my temperment, lifestyle, interests, etc. I was going to try to take the MCAT before I started PT school, but decided that I should see where therapy could take me. All throughout school, I wasn't completed enthused about what I was doing, but I graduated anyways. As soon as I got out, I felt a "calling" back to medical school, which is what I entered college to do in the first place, and went full tilt towards that goal while working FT as a PT. As a practicing therapist, I enjoyed the daily interactions with the patients and most colleagues, but the actual work itself wasn't fulfilling. In acute care and SNF, I really disliked performing patient transfers and felt like ambulating patients was not what I wanted to do the rest of my career. As an outpatient PT, I felt like my training was used more, but it was getting so repetitive, and I needed less long-term patient interaction. Also, it takes a long time to rehabilitate someone and I wanted to see more concrete results on a daily basis.
I think the majority of therapists have considered making a switch at one point in their careers, however, only a small percentage actually do. You'll find more people looking to go to medical school on this forum because it's primarily for aspiring, in training, or current doctors. Much success in whatever you decide.

I need to make a comment on this as well. It took me a good 2 years of pre-reqs, volunteer, and getting exposed to this field. I was sure that this was something I wanted to do. However, during the process where I was invited for interviews made me think long and hard if I wanted to do this all my life. Even this board had an influence on my decision. Talking with pt candidates some were die hard and this was something they wanted to do while others just decided to take the plundge and jump in with little observation. Even talked to some of my friends who were going to Physical Therapy school. 5 out of 6 decided to stay while 1 left b/c she didnt want to be a therapist. Before deciding on what profession/school to choose, I wrote on a peice of paper my own opinion of Pros and Cons such as lifestyle, work hours, education time, and cost of education then I made my decision.

Anyways it is your life,time, and money.

You'll find more people looking to go to medical school on this forum because it's primarily for aspiring, in training, or current doctors.

True, the bias is definately possible (and probable).

Thanks to everyone that replied. I was hoping that something I read would've been the eureka moment I was looking for but life isn't like that. I think I have a problem with second guessing decisions I make regardless of what aspect of life it encompasses. I appreciate everyone's help.

You might as well complete the program? You in your first year right? Did you do any clinicals yet? What you think about the current program? How much does it cost?

Sorry I cant help ya, but one thing is that Life is about making choices. Just take out a pen/paper and write down what exactly do you want in your life and can PT offer it for you.

Don’t second guess it FNG! If that picture is of you, I take it you are a competitive bodybuilder man. PT is your field. You are already and expert at biomechanics and resistance training, now just go learn the rest of the clinical information and the biomedical science behind it. If you are a bodybuilder you already know the rigor of therapeutic training and pushing yourself. Quick fixes are what most of society wants, but just because the majority want a quick fix, does that make it right? Never. As a fellow bodybuilder my friend, we know quick fixes can’t always get the job done. Take for instance myself. 5'10 235pounds, and 6% body-fat. When I started I was 185 pounds with about 19% body-fat. All the supplement, steroids, and surgical implants in the world could not have given me my current physique, same with yours I bet. You know that hardcore dieting, and training can influence the body to adapt and change, you and I are living proof! You can be a true inspiration for patients that are recovering from accidents, disease, surgery, and battling old age because you know the trials and tribulations of long-term therapeutic modalities, and pushing yourself beyond the limits that your mind and body set for you. In my opinion, only athletes truly know biomechanics, and the physiological capabilities of the human body. How many times do you hear "quick-fixen" physicians say, "oh he/she will never be able to do that again" and then before you know it they are doing it again. If medical science were an exact science, then every behavior and physiological function could be predicted with 100% accuracy, but that is not the case. If you are a bodybuilder then PT will match your life style....it is your life style. I say leave the quick fixes to the physicians, partake in this workhorse field. It will be worthwhile

Britton, you sound supportive and energetic, but not a reliable resource of information as you are not working in the medical field or physical therapy from what I see. It appears you are reiterating the advice you receive from your mother, literally. FNG, there are PT's who like their job and those who want more responsibility/prestige/financial compensation or just feel like for whatever reason the m.d. route is the best personal decision. Many m.d.'s wish they would have chosen a less time consuming career and have their own regrets. Make your own decision through personal research and due diligence. My advice is, don't ask people ''should I do something'' but ask the approp. professionals ''what are (certain variables) like'' to answer your biggest questions and really get to the meat and potatoes of your conflict.

Well at least don’t go into medicine because you want more prestige or money, because those that are not "good enough" now won’t be "good enough" later (if you know what I mean). People who embark on that journey may become very bitter doctors down the road because those are not good enough reasons to enter any medical field and increases the likelihood of experiencing short-comings.

Don't get me wrong, I feel PT is a great field to go into as an idea but it seems like implementing the practice is most challenging aspect of rehab. An example of this that I've seen and heard about is that many patients don't take the rehab serious. I would find that so very frustrating to have to tools to help someone but not be able to. I guess I was thinking that medicine is a more revered position that more people will listen to your instructions. Additionally, I heard that many PTs feel handcuffed in their ability to help a patient. I will continue my PT program with the idea that medicine is always a possiblity if there comes a time where I feel it a logical possibility.

Thanks again for everyone's comments they've helped a lot.
p.s. that is me in the pic, 5th place in WI natural BB middleweight

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the old saying "You can lead an animal to the lake but you cant make it drink the water"

Yes, doctors are always going to be viewed in a more prestigious light than therapists. However, that doesn't mean that their instructions will be followed any more faithfully. Many people say "yes, doctor" to a person's face then end up not taking their medications as prescribed or not following up as the doctor advised. Doctors are also in the same boat with managed care of having the tools to help out individuals, but not being able to treat patients the way they want to because of insurance restrictions. Actually, PTs have a lot more freedom with treating patients the way they want to than physicians.

I think patients will only not take you seriously if you don't take what you're doing seriously and with confidence. There are so many different situations, especially as a student or new grad, that you will be unfamiliar with or not know exactly how to proceed. I'm not saying to do anything that would jeopardize a patient or yourself, but always act "as if" you know what's going on. Some may disagree, but patients can pick up quickly if you are unsure of yourself. Finally, I don't think it's people don't take therapy seriously, it's that they aren't motivated (maybe we're saying the same things). However, this is where you as a skilled practitioner step in. You are their coach, psychologist, cheerleader, friend, and therapist. You make unbelievers in themselves and what therapy is doing for them into believers. They will take you seriously if you are 100% invested in them. Many therapists are simply going through the motions on a daily basis.

I think there are some good replies on this thread. I'll put my 2 yen in as well. I enjoy my living as a PT and have experienced a great deal of success over the last five years of practice. I think PT will continue to be one of the better fields of health care for many years to come given the continued demand for our services.

I really struggle sometimes with my motivation for leaving the profession to enter medicine, but I remain comitted to this course. The money will be better to be sure (don't let anyone tell you otherwise), but I want more responsibility regarding the health of my patients and feel like I'm not finished learning. I could pursue my academic (not clinical) doctorate in PT and move into academia OR I can work my way up the administrative ranks within an organization. Academics would be great, but the pay is pretty weak. Administration pays well, but I've never met a middle-management PT who looked happy. The end result is my attempt at medical school. I'm at a point where I feel I have a decent shot at an osteopathic school and outside shot at an allopathic school. With some improvements on my MCAT, I may be even a stronger candidate. If I have the potential and desire to do more, I would be kicking my own ass if I didn't give it a legitimate shot.

It's a very personal decision that only you with your unique background can make. Do your research, but spend at least an equal amount of time praying or whatever your form of soul searching is. You'll end up making the right decision.

Interesting Thread

Hi all:

Well, I'm halfway through my summer course that I am teaching for the PA program. I have to say, I am very, very impressed with the quality of the students!!

I support the DPT but I can't help but wonder how many students are now choosing other careers in healthcare becasue of the additional education. The PA students seem to have a wealth of opportunities available to them and they have less school to complete and pay for than PTs.

Are we loosing a lot of students to other healthcare careers (pharm, PA, NP, medicine, etc)?

Just curious?

What do you think?

http://www.rehabedge.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/25/t/002775.html

All I can say, is enjoy that your in a comfortable place. You're already in a school which will provide you the education towards your career, and even if you have a slight objection about whether PT is right for you, your in school and thats always a safe place to be. Im in undergrad and I couldnt be more nervous about my future, I want to be a PT but my grades arnt solid and I am a psych major so outside of grad school there is no future for my career. I considered respiratory therapy as well but thats only a masters and doesnt have too much promise. I couldnt be more of a nervous wreck, so just be happy your somewhere that can lead you to a career and be worry free, things fall in place.

Don't get me wrong, I feel PT is a great field to go into as an idea but it seems like implementing the practice is most challenging aspect of rehab. An example of this that I've seen and heard about is that many patients don't take the rehab serious. I would find that so very frustrating to have to tools to help someone but not be able to. I guess I was thinking that medicine is a more revered position that more people will listen to your instructions. Additionally, I heard that many PTs feel handcuffed in their ability to help a patient. I will continue my PT program with the idea that medicine is always a possiblity if there comes a time where I feel it a logical possibility.

Thanks again for everyone's comments they've helped a lot.
p.s. that is me in the pic, 5th place in WI natural BB middleweight

the thing about that is, when your knee patient in PT doesn't do their ROM or their squats, it is frustrating but it doesn't kill them. When you are an MD/DO and they don't take their insulin and watch their diet, they get kidney failure or you cut their leg off, or they go blind. I would say that if you second guess yourself a lot, then maybe making rapid life-and-death decisions for hours on end is not a good fit.

You have to decide how much of a big deal the second guessing is. If it was kind of overstated, then disregard that last bit of my post. PT is a blast if you get in the setting that suits you and you enjoy your co-workers.

Interesting Thread

Hi all:

Well, I'm halfway through my summer course that I am teaching for the PA program. I have to say, I am very, very impressed with the quality of the students!!

I support the DPT but I can't help but wonder how many students are now choosing other careers in healthcare becasue of the additional education. The PA students seem to have a wealth of opportunities available to them and they have less school to complete and pay for than PTs.

Are we loosing a lot of students to other healthcare careers (pharm, PA, NP, medicine, etc)?

Just curious?

What do you think?

http://www.rehabedge.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/25/t/002775.html

I'm sorry but what is a PA, NP? I'm new to the boards. thank you.

FNG, another point. Physical therapy does have multiple settings in addition to various realms for advanced training, i.e. manual therapy, McKenzie certification, etc. from which you can expand your personal expertise and cont. learning while in the field. In my opinion, therapists who report stagnance are no longer challenging and advancing their skillsets. In addition, Britton, how old are you? I ask, because your post/reply demonstrates a ''na na ny boo boo'' approach to language from what I can tell and minimally productive to help this earnest poster conduct this introspective/personal decision.
And, once again, how can you offer advice if it is founded upon 'my mom is a physical therapist' and you are not even employed in the health industry. Your biased and uninformed advice is certainly uneducated, and potentially contrary to what this poster does need to enable an objective assessment of his career path. Finally, what's with the enlarged font? It's like a sledgehammer of ignorance.

I guess if the world don't see it your way, it must not be good. Let us all call to worship huskyDPT! For he knows everything! We know nothing! Only him! Anyway you are my lord, my superior, my master! I respect you so much that I will not even chat with you from this point on. :rolleyes: Your too good for a fool like me.

Hahahaha. That had me laughing for an hour. Call to worship :laugh:. Oh man, keep it coming. I'm serious, too.

http://physicaltherapy.rehabedge.com/Working_with_a_chiro%%%/m_51807/tm.htm

A PT working with a Chiro.

Interesting post

KIDPT23
Several things you should consider:

Is the facility registered with the state as a PT clinic? If not, NO physical therapy can be performed there.
You said the Chiro is billing out under his tax ID #, but as far as I know a Chiro can NOT bill out 97001, 97002 codes; these codes can be billed out under MD’s, DO’s license as an “incident to” service regardless the type of insurance the pt has.
If the PTA is there full time seeing patients for you, you have to be “on call” and be able to make to the clinic within 20 min. or you'll have to be in the same facility to supervise the PTA.