PT license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PFM1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Please help asap

I have cousin that is foriegn trained physical therapist. If they graduated from Rajesthan university in india. What would be the procedure to become a PT in US? Also, if anyone can PM me the details i would really appreciate it.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend that married a man from Germany. I think he had to sit for a licensure exam in the state in which he planned to work. I am not familiar with the process, however you could probably go to apta.org and you might be able to find the information there. If not, you could probably call them or call the PT licensure board in the state you live and ask them. I'm sorry I'm not more help, but that is what I would do if I needed that type of information.:)

Most states will ask for equivalency in education and/or experience from any foreign trained physical therapist. This will require that the applicant for the license provide a certified translation of all their transcripts and licenses where they are from.

The respective board makes a decision whether it meets requirements or may recommend fulfillment of coursework/clinical experience, or just merely deny the application. Go to the desired state board governing physical therapy practice and they have an established procedure for this.

Cheers,

BoneKrusher

Go to the state licensing board's website, the requirements are posted there. Your foreign PT education would need to be credentialed by FCCPT, ICA, ICD, etc.., whatever is required by the state. If applying for a work visa, FCCPT also has a service for Visa credentialling (Type I vs II). You would also need to take the TOEFL. You apparently have access to the internet, so check these out when you can.