Pt -> dpt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josh123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that it is mandatory to become a DPT making PT school 3 years as opposed to 2 years. Do you think that some people decided to go into a different careerer because they didn't want to do the extra year? If DPT was not mandatory who here would have stayed the extra year and got their DPT license?

Members don't see this ad.

The education is changing as the field becomes more evidence-based, with an emphasis on understanding mechanisms and treatment alternatives. My wife is a third years DPT.

I know a practicing PT who did the transitional MPT and also the transitional DPT. Clearly she felt it was worth it even though she has over 25 years of experience.

As for me, I always wanted a doctorate of some kind ;) and when I made the switch to PT I was very excited that I would be able to obtain a clinical doctorate (and hope to have a PhD at some point, although not sure student loans will allow...) :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
same here. I always wanted some type of doctor or phd degree

I can see this thread headed to a deep, dark place! I think that knowledge base, clinical expertise, and leadership will always be more important than what someone calls you(i.e. Dr.) any day of the week. So before there is a whole big "brewhaha" about titles, let's play nice if at all possible.

I just want the job.

A clinical doctorate is what it is, idk I would have pride in what I know, but not in any doctorate title I won't use clinically specifically. Prestige or whatever can easily be a self wrapped phenomena, I find it amusing to watch people nearly define themselves by whatever title their given/appointed... I care more about who they are as a person, physicians, PTs, academics and the like.

DPT is essentially the de-facto standard at this point. Not all DPT tuition is expensive, some of it is how competitive and how smart you apply. I can understand the importance of increased clinical time and a greater breadth of topics covered w/in PT. You'll likely be a stronger more evidence-based clinician (assuming you don't stop learning once you get your degree). Year by year, one by one all programs will DPT, it's inevitable. A career is a longer term, it'll be more prevalent in years to come.

I just want the job.

Likewise. Which is why I may end up at a MPT state program because really, I just want to practice physical therapy. And as of right now, an MPT more than qualifies me to do so, while also saving 50-60K or more in debt. I know that eventually, I will need to get my DPT. But there are many avenues through which to acquire a transitional, and I do not feel that I will be a less qualified therapist because of it. Maybe I'm not being realistic. I don't know. But I simply want to practice physical therapy by whatever path works.

Likewise. Which is why I may end up at a MPT state program because really, I just want to practice physical therapy. And as of right now, an MPT more than qualifies me to do so, while also saving 50-60K or more in debt. I know that eventually, I will need to get my DPT. But there are many avenues through which to acquire a transitional, and I do not feel that I will be a less qualified therapist because of it. Maybe I'm not being realistic. I don't know. But I simply want to practice physical therapy by whatever path works.

Hah well you're West-Coast, so you have more choice in the matter w/ IS (a good number are out that way). My area doesn't have an MPT in that way, so it's actually a good bit cheaper to get a DPT locally.

I would still encourage you to get a DPT within 3-5 years out while tDPT programs are more readily available and you're younger and willing to do some schooling while you're working. I've already anecdotal-ly seen some schools stop offering them, but there are still many that do right now of course.

@ hefe -- Yeah, all but one of my IS options are MPT programs and the one that is a DPT (UCSF/SFSU) is just as expensive as some out-of-state program tuitions. I'm banging myself over the head though because I just found out that I would have qualified for IS tuition at UNLV (and they have a DPT program) so that would've been comparable to the MPT tuition here in Cali. But well, thats what you get for not doing your research right?

So now I'm in a conundrum. Get my DPT for 70-80K tuition, get my MPT for 30K tuition, or get a DPT/MSAT for 110K tuition. Kinda not an easy choice.

If I do go the route of MPT, I intend to get my t-DPT the first or second year I'm practicing. Especially since schools will begin phasing out t-DPTs as it gets closer to 2020 (some schools have already stopped their programs I believe). I know Temple does distance t-DPTs so that's def one route. I need to talk w/ a few more PTs though, get their opinion of the matter. Though, most people seem to have a valid argument for every path (heck, I can make a good argument for each of those scenarios) so the whole thing is just confusing for me right now.

Let me clear up a potential misconception. I am not becoming a PT so that I can have a doctorate and become a person who "defines themselves by whatever title their given". I do not want my patients to refer to me as "Dr"- that is absurd.

I have always wanted to further my education beyond a bachelor's degree, even before I decided on PT. (As you'll see in my signature I was an education major. My original plans were to obtain a Master's and PhD and potentially my Principal certification.) I don't believe that wanting to further one's education automatically makes them a pompous a-hole who thrives off being called "Dr" so-and-so.

I agree with hefe--- I will definitely take pride in my knowledge/skills over what a piece of paper denotes as my "title", but there should be no shame in being proud of the degree you receive.

Hi markelmarcel, a professional doctorate should have inherent pride in what you learned while in it. You've have a good attitude honesty. I don't meant to attempt to call your comment particularly. Moreso on a variety of others, namely academics, I've met who subscribe the line of thinking I first wrote.

Calling Dr.Fine, Dr. Howard..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdUsgYA_D4

Hah remembered this episode :laugh:, full:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ4dxta4G_0

a DPT is not required per se since that is a state decision, and each state would have to pass a law stating that. the APTA, an advocacy organization only, has recommended it, but cannot dictate practice.