PT and OT, difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctosan

They call me the king
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy both seem very similar, I am interested in going into one of these fields, but what are the key differences?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I started out interested in OT, and ended up veering into PT. They do typically work closely together, often with the same patients, but the two approaches are pretty different in my opinion.

OT deals more with the cognitive side of things (mental deficits), and also typically focus on fine motor coordination much more, such as picking up a toothbrush to brush the teeth, feeding oneself, brushing the hair, etc. These all sound like activities of daily living, and that's exactly what they're called (ADLs). From my aide and observation experience, in a skilled nursing facility they spend more time doing ADLs than anything else. However, they'll also focus on cognitive issues as well, and in a way it's similar to the neurological approach from PTs (helping a stroke victim regain control of different functions and that kind of thing).

PTs deal more with gross motor control, gait and walking, spine issues, joint problems in shoulders, hips, balancing issues, etc. Honestly, that covers only a small part of it.

Both get respect in the health care setting, and patients often confuse one with the other. Outside of hospitals and nursing facilities, it's less likely you'll run into OTs (they are concentrated primarily in these areas from what I've heard and seen, although there are less common opportunities in schools and industrial rehab). PTs you'll see quite a bit in outpatient sports clinics and other areas.

The pay scale is about the same for them in hospitals and nursing facilities (and is roughly equivalent to what registered nurses make today as well),.

Hope that doesn't tell you a bunch of stuff you already knew.