This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I mention in my medical school application?

• Brain Tumors

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Psychotic Episode

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

McBloodstreamy10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering what your opinion on my medical history is. I'm going to be applying to medical school at the end of next year. I'm beginning to think about what I should include in my personal statement and such. I went through a psychotic episode a few years back. During my time in the ER, I was diagnosed with two gliomas from a CT scan. I was told that there was nothing they could do about them since they were in such a difficult position to biopsy. I ended up traveling to the Mayo Clinic to treat both the symptoms of my psychosis and seek advice about the brain tumors. They told me to start medication to treat the psychosis and to wait and see if the tumors would grow. Miraculously, all of the symptoms of my psychosis were resolved with treatment, and I am now off of all medication. Additionally, it has appeared that the tumors are growing at an extremely minimal rate if they are even growing at all. I'm curious as to whether having gone through a psychotic episode makes a liability to medical schools. I've been pondering just mentioning the tumors and the process of seeking treatment rather than talking about the psychosis in addition. However, I can see that by going through the psychotic episode, this makes me more sensitive to the mental health of people, and therefore, a better future physician when dealing with patient's mental well-being. I don't have any interest in going into psychiatry, but I still feel that understanding of mental illness is a very important thing to have in this day and age. What do you think I should mention?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend leaving your health history out of the application. Dig deep to find the reasons outside of your own personal experience with the health care system for why you want to take care of the sick, injured, disabled, dying.

If you don't mention your health history, it can't be used as the basis to discriminate against you.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not, I repeat do not mention ANY mental health issues. Medicine has a deep seeded stigma against anyone with any mental illness, it will hurt your application significantly

Reactions: 2 users
I will second that the stigma against mental illness is deep and pervasive

we don't tolerate physical illness well in medicine either

seek help for these things but keep them as secret as humanly possible from anyone even peripherally associated with your career