Psych Locums Conflicting Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted795531

When reading discussions on here it seems psych locums gigs pay maybe a little more than 100/hr. Of course location and other factors affect these numbers, but the impression I get is that if money were the only factor, one could reliably work year-round at around 150/hr. Then I see things like this [ http://www.cibhs.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/locum_tenens_providers_and_rates_3-1-16.pdf ] elsewhere online, though, which make it seem like there are plenty of 250+/hr jobs floating out there in certain areas waiting to be filled. So what are the facts then? If one comes out of residency with no family, total freedom, and money is the only option (to pay back the loans as quickly as possible for instance), then what sort of locums pay could one reliably find year-round? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When reading discussions on here it seems psych locums gigs pay maybe a little more than 100/hr. Of course location and other factors affect these numbers, but the impression I get is that if money were the only factor, one could reliably work year-round at around 150/hr. Then I see things like this [ http://www.cibhs.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/locum_tenens_providers_and_rates_3-1-16.pdf ] elsewhere online, though, which make it seem like there are plenty of 250+/hr jobs floating out there in certain areas waiting to be filled. So what are the facts then? If one comes out of residency with no family, total freedom, and money is the only option (to pay back the loans as quickly as possible for instance), then what sort of locums pay could one reliably find year-round? Thanks

The PDF you're looking is likely a list of quotes from locum companies to hospitals regarding how much hospitals are paying locum companies to hire psychiatrists. You can tell by the language.

I've been interested in locums for after I graduate this June and the ballgame is entirely different and VERY similar to car sales-game. High pressure sales and a lot of information asymmetry between the three players (hospitals, locum companies, docs). Which is how the middle men skim off and make a profit (they are for profit business and prodiving a useful service after all...similar to car dealers). Nothing inherently wrong but as the doc you need to make sure you're being paid what you're worth. They'll sweet-talk you into how housing/car/travel will all be taken care of....just know it's coming out of your overall paid package even if they say it's not. I've had locum reps push back strongly when I bring this point up.

Locum companies make their money by charging hospitals as high as they can and giving the doc a quote as low as possible. I've talked with many people (my own hospital admin, former colleagues who are locum-ing now, and a player inside the industry on the other side and too many locum reps) and overall the consensus is that you are truly shafting yourself if you settle for anything less than 150/hr. What I've gotten is that 160-180 for outpt, and 200+/hr for inpt work.
I've had recruiters try to tell me that a newly minted psych doc is really only able to get 120-125/hr....LOL.

PM me for more info.....

Reactions: 1 user