PS from last time/ no maj change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tranceradu

i like the bass
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

so i'm finalizing my PS as I reapply (first time was to a limited # of schools& late), but I'm having a problem with incorporating what I have accomplished since the last time I applied.

Basically, I started working in the fall, and it's been pretty intense. Along with my job, I also studied to retake the MCAT. All this work meant that I did not have any time to do anything outside of work/studying. My life was too hectic, and I was not able to volunteer or do anything meaningful that I am really passionate about.

My problem now lies in somehow making a reasonable arguent for not having time to volunteer or accomplish anything significant outside of work since the last time that I applied. Do you guys think that schools would be turned off by the fact that I was not able to squeeze in some time to do some meaningful work on the side, or will they be understanding with me essentially submitting the same (revised) list of ECs as last time?

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about it! Instead talk about your job..what you gained from it etc. As long as you show that you weren't just watching TV you should be fine.

Tranceradu said:
Hey guys,

so i'm finalizing my PS as I reapply (first time was to a limited # of schools& late), but I'm having a problem with incorporating what I have accomplished since the last time I applied.

Basically, I started working in the fall, and it's been pretty intense. Along with my job, I also studied to retake the MCAT. All this work meant that I did not have any time to do anything outside of work/studying. My life was too hectic, and I was not able to volunteer or do anything meaningful that I am really passionate about.

My problem now lies in somehow making a reasonable arguent for not having time to volunteer or accomplish anything significant outside of work since the last time that I applied. Do you guys think that schools would be turned off by the fact that I was not able to squeeze in some time to do some meaningful work on the side, or will they be understanding with me essentially submitting the same (revised) list of ECs as last time?

Let me preface this by saying I do not mean to be negative about your effort, but as a student interviewer, I have read tons of PS's. I was also complemented on my PS when I applied and discussed aspects of my PS in all of my interviews.

Now...it sounds as if your PS is just about the things you have done/accomplished. Well...we have your grades, essays, secondary materials & AMCAS/AACOMAS to tell us all of that stuff. Are your accomplishments all you really are?? A personal statement is meant to be personal.

Pesonal can mean any number of things; your motivations, desires, dreams. Please don't waste the chance to show the people involved in your admission to the school w/ the redunancy of repeating what is already on your app!

I see that you are reapplying this year, so just revising your old PS is probably not a good idea unless you were told by other admissions how stellar it is. Don't make your personal statment be something that just summarizes what you have been doing the last year or so, you will be wasting a terrific opportunity. If I could be of any more help or you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Krazy