PRS Fellowship location questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenavysurgeon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

there appears to be a fair number of PRS folks out of training that post on this website...

i've submitted an application package for a PRS residency. I've completed a surgery residency at a top academic program and have been in practice for three years now.

questions:

1. can anyone tell me what happened to U. of Colorados PRS program?

2. i'm interested in breast recon post mastectomy, which i'd like to be a focus of my PRS practice at some point....can you all throw some program names out regarding which programs are particualrly strong in this realm?

3. is the PRS program at OHSU (Oregon) having problems?

4. if you had to do it over again, would you do a two or three year PRS fellowship?

5. any west coast programs, or programs in Texas that are particularly strong in aesthetic surgery?

Thanks a lot.

BTW, I respect folks that trained in both the OMFS and MD environments...I've worked with some amazing OMFS docs, they have all been amazingly helpful and hard working. I think the field (PRS) is large enough to accomodate both parties. Just don't practice in my city. Just kidding.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm just a medical student, but from what I've heard UT-Southwestern in Texas has the best plastics program in the country. On the West Coast I heard UCLA and Stanford are good. If you have already completed gsurg you shoudl check out UMiami...they have an excellent program and it isn't integrated...

Tristero,
I appreiate your sage advice, however I was hoping one of the more 'senior' members of this forum could weigh in on my question...T, you'll get your opportunity to answer questions when you get the fancy MD degree you're working so hard for...

Members don't see this ad :)
thenavysurgeon said:
questions:

1. can anyone tell me what happened to U. of Colorados PRS program?

2. i'm interested in breast recon post mastectomy, which i'd like to be a focus of my PRS practice at some point....can you all throw some program names out regarding which programs are particualrly strong in this realm?

3. is the PRS program at OHSU (Oregon) having problems?

4. if you had to do it over again, would you do a two or three year PRS fellowship?

5. any west coast programs, or programs in Texas that are particularly strong in aesthetic surgery?

1. I think I heard they imploded as their faculty all left, similar to what happened to USF in 1999

2. Breast recon. is really not one of those areas that tends to be weak at most places (think aesthetics, kids, or hand) & you should get enough volume anyway where the surgical oncology program is good enough to feed the patients. Some places do a lot of free-TRAM/DIEP flaps which is really something that would be a turn off to me if I were looking at programs (its not a very practical operation to spend a lot of time learning for 99% of people in practice).

3. No idea, but the divisions @ many programs are having trouble retaining faculty & are teetering on the brink of financial insolvency

4. I think 2 + a fellowship would be more productive then 3 years assuming you've completed another specialty first

5. UT-Southwestern & Baylor are two of the top programs and have a lot of exposure with their aesthetic training. I've heard Stanford & Loma Linda have pretty good exposure & I'd imagine UCSF/UCLA would too. I'm not sure of what the actual RESIDENT hands-on experience is at these programs (except UT-SW where I know it's phenomenal)

An addendum to Ollie's comments . . .

Baylor is integrated now. I don't think Shenaq takes any independents at all, now. UTSW takes one independent per year. Phenomenal program, but be prepared to take a beating everyday. Loma Linda is fully integrated. Stanford takes integrated residents; I don't know if they also have an independent position. UCLA takes both. UCSF takes residents in a combined program, but they still take one or two independents (can you imagine working with Mathes, McGrath, and Bunke??).

Free TRAMs?? Oh the pain . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tristero,
I appreiate your sage advice, however I was hoping one of the more 'senior' members of this forum could weigh in on my question...T, you'll get your opportunity to answer questions when you get the fancy MD degree you're working so hard for... "

Wow,
them is fightin words. pretty crappy after someone tries to share their knowledge. UTSW might be the perfect place for you.

med students should know when to keep their mouths shut.

hey navy doc...sorry, i was just trying to help. oh, and by the way--those suggested schools were from my father, who is a facial reconstructive plastic surgeon and a guy I know who is a first year resident in a very prestigious plastics program. if you had taken the time to talk to me, rather than insult me, i could have put you in touch with him. he's a great guy who loves to help people. anyways, its the last time i try to help you out.

navy surgeons should know when to keep their mouth shut.

Reactions: 1 user
thenavysurgeon said:
med students should know when to keep their mouths shut.

That's unnecessary. And quite rude.