Aesthetic fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluv1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering aesthetic fellowship from plastic surgery. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with some of the programs our there In terms of quality of training, autonomy, call, personalities of the mentors, and geography. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I did an ASAPS-Endorsed aesthetic fellowship and am now a member of The Aesthetic Society (ASAPS). I give advice about this subject all the time to senior and chief plastic surgery residents around the country (and even my residency PD, who recently helped set up a new private practice fellowship). You can DM me.

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering aesthetic fellowship from plastic surgery. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with some of the programs our there In terms of quality of training, autonomy, call, personalities of the mentors, and geography. Thanks for your time.
I did a aesthetic/breast fellowship with Pat Maxwell almost 20 years ago. I enjoyed it, but I don't know that it's that valuable for most people who've done a lot more of breast and post bariatric stuff during residency.

Honestly, you really learn how to do cosmetic cases from your experience doing recon cases (breast cancer recon, breast reductions, facial fractures, hernias, panniculectomies etc....). Those are the fundamentals vocabulary for most cosmetic cases where you learn how to do stuff.

You don't want to learn cosmetic surgery on cosmetic patients as you can "break a lot of eggs" with the learning curve.

Reactions: 2 users
I did a aesthetic/breast fellowship with Pat Maxwell almost 20 years ago. I enjoyed it, but I don't know that it's that valuable for most people who've done a lot more of breast and post bariatric stuff during residency.

Honestly, you really learn how to do cosmetic cases from your experience doing recon cases (breast cancer recon, breast reductions, facial fractures, hernias, panniculectomies etc....). Those are the fundamentals vocabulary for most cosmetic cases where you learn how to do stuff.

You don't want to learn cosmetic surgery on cosmetic patients as you can "break a lot of eggs" with the learning curve.
I agree with what Dr. Oliver indicated. In the end, you will need to teach yourself, and experience is the best way. The breast recons inform my aesthetic breast cases (augs, masto-augs, etc). The facial trauma and Mohs recon inform my ability to do aesthetic blephs, browlifts, and facelifts/necklifts. There are also way more online resources, especially surgery videos, that can teach you in ways you couldn't in the past, even scrubbing into a lot of cases merely holding hook as a resident.