Prosthodontics residency as a foreign student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentist110

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a British dentist looking to enrol onto a Prosthodontics residency in USA with the intention of returning back to the UK after completion of the programme.

Which schools have good reputation for Prostho training without being extortionately priced. I would be self funding the course from personal savings so need to select a programme which is decent and cost of living will be reasonable as well. I simply cannot afford the likes of UCLA, NYU, Michigan and UPenn.

From my research i have selected Minnesota as my favoured option. I am not keen on the weather at all but we can not win everything! What are people's opinions on Minnesota Prostho course? What is it like living in Minneapolis? I have never visited USA before haha. Importantly what is the application process and is it a competitive course to get into? The website states INDBE is desired but not essential...is that just bull**** haha. Should I definitely sit the INDBE?

Can anyone suggest any other programmes which give decent implant placement exposure and is reasonably priced?

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of cost Minnesota, Uconn, the three texas programs, West Virginia, Lousiana, Tennessee, Augusta, Marquette (borderline expensive), Alabama, North Carolina, University of Florida would all be affordable for an international resident and some even offer a minor stipend. You'd have to contact the program directors to get an idea of how much implant placement, though as of 2015 all prosthodontics programs are required to provide training that provides competency in implant placement for prosthodontics residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to do prosthodontics in the US if you are not planning to practice here? Is there not prosthodontic residencies in the UK?
Pros training in USA is far superior in terms of teaching and experience gained.
In the UK, the trainees are taught in a public funded healthcare system where all treatment patient receives is completely free of charge. Naturally that hinders being able to offer the "best" options and there is focus of providing only functionally adequate results. Many residents will maybe only do 1-2 full mouth rehabs in ceramic due to cost implications. Cosmetics are not considered important in the NHS.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
Minneapolis is cold but fun. The university is close to downtown and the public commute is pretty good. Summers are short but amazing. Get a nice down jacket and other winter gadgets and you will be good for winter. You eventually fall in love with the city, go for it.

Hey mate. Check out OSU and Alabama. From what I hear they have an excellent programs with very affordable tuition though I’m not sure of their implant experience. I’d say INBDE is good to get you more interviews but it won’t get you in unless you ice the interview.
Try to apply as early as you can and don’t wait until the deadlines. Some programs will start inviting candidates even before the deadlines.
All the best!