Proposed law for optometric surgery.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this angle! Heck, some of my techs are excellent refractionists, and they can check IOPs and do external exams (though, they don't always know what they're looking at). I think I'll propose a bill allowing them to refract without oversight. Then, we could franchise out our optical, using imemily's pizza analogy. It will be awesome! :thumbup:

In all honesty this should be the new model of eye care. Why do we need 3 separate levels of care when we can just train opticians to refract and integrate into general ophthalmologists' office?? Wouldn't this save much more money than having every other patient with something that even looks a little suspicious referred to an ophthalmologist's office if they can just have all their care taken care of by a general ophthalmologist in the first place? I say cut out the midlevels since with the advent of the internet and 1800-contacts and other online opticals you dont need that many people selling glasses. Granted I'm still an M4 who hasnt started residency but it just seems redundant a lot of times.

I was studying with my gf whos a PA studying for her boards and a friend who is an optometrist 3 years out of school and we were doing some step2 ck questions. To me and my gf's amusement they seriously lack even the most basic medical knowledge when it comes to the rest of the body.. Its scary how they dont know how much they dont know...

Members don't see this ad.

That's not a good reason honestly.

Lets just assume that the italians developed pizza for example. Nowadays, virtually anybody can open up a pizza shop/restaurant, even though Italians were the creators/developers of pizza. Same can be applied to OMDs and ODs with regards to surgery.

I think ODs, if the laws pass etc, will be thought by OMDs since ODs like you said don't know surgical procedures. So effectively, the OD is learning from the OMD - just without going to school for it.

This has nothing to do with the debate, but "pizza" as we know it was not developed by the Italians, it was "discovered" in the United States. Italian pizza was essentially marinara pasta sauce on dough. Even that, Italian pizza originally came from the Greeks during the era of the Roman Empire, and was one of the things they integrated into their culture.

On a more serious note, if you don't know much about either side of the debate imemily, you should stay out of it. No need to make yourself a pariah in another SDN forum.

Last, this incident happened recently, and though it had to do with CRNAs and anesthesiologists, the situation is fairly similar. Recently, a lobby of nurse practitioners and CRNAs lobbied our state congress to have MD privileges at the hospital, such as do more invasive procedures and practice without any oversight (gee I wonder where I've heard this before). Their excuses were "It's better for patient access and cost", and "You never see a NP take the afternoon off to play golf!". Silly arguments indeed. Anyway, one of the people to testify against this measure was an anesthesiologist that was a former CRNA. He wanted to have more scope of practice, so he went back to medical school and did an anesthesiology residency. When he was a CRNA, he thought he was a big shot and knew enough to take care of patients on his own during operations and procedures. In fact, he thought that he could go toe-to-toe with any MD. Once he finished medical school, he realized that whatever he knew was nowhere close to the amount of knowledge needed to become an anesthesiology resident. Once he finished his residency, he then knew how foolish his statements were as a CRNA, because he really didn't know anything. He knew just enough to do basic things when he was a CRNA and had a false sense of proficiency, but not enough to really take care of patients on his own.

The measure failed in the state congress, thankfully.

I love this angle! Heck, some of my techs are excellent refractionists, and they can check IOPs and do external exams (though, they don't always know what they're looking at). I think I'll propose a bill allowing them to refract without oversight. Then, we could franchise out our optical, using imemily's pizza analogy. It will be awesome! :thumbup:

Don't worry. By the time your bill passes, we'll have topical bevacizumab for all sorts of retinopathies....:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
`

Last edited:
imemily get into optometry school first then make your pizza analogies so the ophthalmologists can laugh at you. Keyboard warriors r us. And no the Puerto Rico school doesn't count, that's like Caribbean MD.

Is it true that SUNY accepts students with 3.1 gpas? Because I was under the impression that SUNY was a good school. Silly silly me! :p

`

Last edited:
I guess sometimes SUNY does. My GPA was higher than that though if you want to get personal. Either way I'm at the top opto school so I must have done something right :)

Don't take this personally but, SUNY isn't a top Optometry school.

Just saying.

`

Last edited:
The only question I have left is, who gave the MDs the right to be the final say on what is right vs wrong over all medical fields?

I guess someone shares the same opinions as me. By answering this question we can stop this debate and actually come to a conclusion which both sides can accept.

How's Canada Emily? Pretty boring ain't it? Get laid? Lol I hope they close this thread now as it is off topic.

Yeah, but you're still a virigin :p If you want my advice, don't tell the ladies you go to SUNY, otherwise they will run away from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.