ProMedica Monroe EM Residency - BEWARE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM_Guy

Reaction score
To future medical students going into EM, please avoid this program. This is one of the more low quality EM residencies out there. The medicine practiced at that program is incredibly subpar. Many of the residents are extremely lazy and do not have appropriate knowledge for their training level. Even certain attendings make oddly questionable clinical decisions that are far removed from basic standards of care. This program is REALLY BAD in regard to training. This program will not prepare you to practice in any respectable hospital with a high level of acuity as an attending. You will be forever relegated to podunk hospitals.

Additionally, ProMedica as an institution is enormously dysfunctional.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 user
Can you help me understand your motivation for posting this?

Are you a resident dissatisfied with your training? Seems unlikely when posting something like this would likely hamper your job prospects.

Are you someone who aspired for a faculty position within the program and was passed over, and is now bitter? Seems more plausible to me.

I just can't understand what's going on behind this post. Help me understand.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you a resident dissatisfied with your training? Seems unlikely when posting something like this would likely hamper your job prospects.

Are you someone who aspired for a faculty position within the program and was passed over, and is now bitter? Seems more plausible to me.

I'm not even in the program dude. I just know about it.

• Inappropriate
To future medical students going into EM, please avoid this program. This is one of the more low quality EM residencies out there. The medicine practiced at that program is incredibly subpar. Many of the residents are extremely lazy and do not have appropriate knowledge for their training level. Even certain attendings make oddly questionable clinical decisions that are far removed from basic standards of care. This program is REALLY BAD in regard to training. This program will not prepare you to practice in any respectable hospital with a high level of acuity as an attending. You will be forever relegated to podunk hospitals.

Additionally, ProMedica as an institution is enormously dysfunctional.
I'm not even in the program dude. I just know about it.
To be honest, you just lost your credibility. You posted something that, quite frankly is deeply concerning about a program if true, without having come from any personal knowledge/experiences. I have no idea whether what you said is true or not, but I 'am not convinced that you don't have a ulterior motive. Why would you take the time to post on here a lengthy statement bashing a program with ZERO personal knowledge and "I just know about it" does not qualify for anything.

Providing feedback, whether good or bad about a program is encouraged here, but you should be able to establish a foundation for such feedback.

Reactions: 5 users
To be honest, you just lost your credibility. You posted something that, quite frankly is deeply concerning about a program if true, without having come from any personal knowledge/experiences. I have no idea whether what you said is true or not, but I 'am not convinced that you don't have a ulterior motive. Why would you take the time to post on here a lengthy statement bashing a program with ZERO personal knowledge and "I just know about it" does not qualify for anything.

Providing feedback, whether good or bad about a program is encouraged here, but you should be able to establish a foundation for such feedback.
I’ve worked in the hospital in the past. But in typical SDN fashion, you can never speak bad about a program. It’s only believable if it’s praise. The whole point of the anonymity is to be able to speak freely about issues in medicine.

We never find out about these programs until we match and then you find out that seemingly “good” program is actually less than ideal but then you’re stuck now.

• Okay...
I’ve worked in the hospital in the past. But in typical SDN fashion, you can never speak bad about a program. It’s only believable if it’s praise. The whole point of the anonymity is to be able to speak freely about issues in medicine
Just saying man - the stuff you said was super vague. It would be one thing if you had said something specific like, "this EM program is having NPs supervise residents," but instead all you said was THIS PLACE SUCKS SO MUCH. HOLY COW THIS PLACE SUCKS. DON'T GO HERE IT SUCKS.

Kinda seems more like you're disgruntled for whatever reason and you just wanted to smear them. If you want to smear them, and you have legit evidence, be my guest. Otherwise, it just seems like they fired you or something and you're pissed.

Although, if they fired you for a slimy reason, feel free to share that too. Yeah, certain people at that hospital will probably know who you are, but they did you dirty. You wouldn't be burning bridges because they already burned that bridge.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Just saying man - the stuff you said was super vague. It would be one thing if you had said something specific like, "this EM program is having NPs supervise residents," but instead all you said was THIS PLACE SUCKS SO MUCH. HOLY COW THIS PLACE SUCKS. DON'T GO HERE IT SUCKS.

Kinda seems more like you're disgruntled for whatever reason and you just wanted to smear them. If you want to smear them, and you have legit evidence, be my guest. Otherwise, it just seems like they fired you or something and you're pissed.

Although, if they fired you for a slimy reason, feel free to share that too. Yeah, certain people at that hospital will probably know who you are, but they did you dirty. You wouldn't be burning bridges because they already burned that bridge.
I mean I can go into specifics but you realize I have to be careful about being too cavalier about that because then it becomes identifying. But I do see your point about vague vs specific.

I’ve worked in the hospital in the past. But in typical SDN fashion, you can never speak bad about a program. It’s only believable if it’s praise. The whole point of the anonymity is to be able to speak freely about issues in medicine.

We never find out about these programs until we match and then you find out that seemingly “good” program is actually less than ideal but then you’re stuck now.
You must have glossed over the entire post, but I'l refresh your memory..."Providing feedback, whether good or bad about a program is encouraged here, but you should be able to establish a foundation for such feedback."

Hopefully you understand that it is not "typical SDN fashion" to never allow you to speak bad about a program. However, to come on here anonymously and trash a program without having gone through it, well, is not providing feedback if you never went through the program and saying that you "just know", does not cut it.

Hopefully you can see what I am saying and BTW, I am not associated in any way with ProMedica.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
You must have glossed over the entire post, but I'l refresh your memory..."Providing feedback, whether good or bad about a program is encouraged here, but you should be able to establish a foundation for such feedback."

Hopefully you understand that it is not "typical SDN fashion" to never allow you to speak bad about a program. However, to come on here anonymously and trash a program without having gone through it, well, is not providing feedback if you never went through the program and saying that you "just know", does not cut it.

Hopefully you can see what I am saying and BTW, I am not associated in any way with ProMedica.
I said I worked here and have been involved with the program dude. SDN has to be a place where we can speak freely.

Last edited by a moderator:

If either of you took 2 minutes to look rather than 2 minutes to post you’d see this:

Almost all the ED time is spent at Monroe, a level 3 trauma center with a 40,000ish annual volume which is far too low for your vast majority of work hours during residency.

There you go.

If either of you took 2 minutes to look rather than 2 minutes to post you’d see this:

Almost all the ED time is spent at Monroe, a level 3 trauma center with a 40,000ish annual volume which is far too low for your vast majority of work hours during residency.

There you go.
I mean, I don't know anything about the EM world so I would've never known. You seem like you know a thing or two, so I'll take you at your word. But if 40k is truly too low, why did the ACGME approve the residency in the first place? Why aren't there guidelines stipulating a certain number of patients per year?

I mean, I don't know anything about the EM world so I would've never known. You seem like you know a thing or two, so I'll take you at your word. But if 40k is truly too low, why did the ACGME approve the residency in the first place? Why aren't there guidelines stipulating a certain number of patients per year?
Because EM residencies are being approved left and right at sites that really have no business doing so. It’s what is destroying our specialty. There are guidelines but they are garbage.

Are you silly or what? I said I worked here and have been involved with the program dude…stop it. SDN has to be a place where we can speak freely.
Stop, you're making no sense. You trashed the program and now want to say " you worked there"...zero credibility.

There you go.
Took time for what, I was responding the the OP and nothing more, so not sure what you are talking about.

Stop, you're making no sense. You trashed the program and now want to say " you worked there"...zero credibility.
You are contributing nothing my dude. Why would I randomly go out of my way to criticize a random podunk hospital in the USA without having a reason to or having been involved with the program? Why not post about a program in Montana? Why this specific one?

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Bingo. But there are a group of people on SDN who do everything they can to denigrate those that use this beneficial platform to put programs on blast (e.g. browns99, Goro, etc.). These guys would be saying nothing if I posted praise about the program.
Ok I'll be the one to humor you. Let's say you posted praise about a program, only to then say "I'm not even in the program dude. I just know about it," do you think people would react any differently than they are to this? The overwhelming response would be what you're getting now, which is, "why, how, who?"

Maybe it's just because I'm a competent adult, who knows. What a bizarre first post..

• Love