Programs in the south?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutguy2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to find a GI fellowship program possibly in the south/southeat (currently in florida-like to move around, but kind of stay close), anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I spoke with the folks at UAB (university of alabama at birmingham), but didnt get a great feel (not negative, just unsure) for the program or city. Anyone heard anything about these guys?

Members don't see this ad.

UAB used to be a great program for GI, from what I have heard from friends who are residents there. However they have lost a lot of their GI faculty over the last few years. I think their cardiology, rheum and nephrology fellowships are much stronger.
Why did you not get such a good feel from the program people?

The answers that I got were just kind of vague, not too much detail about training, exposure, or really opportunity for research (which is what I am looking for). Do you know anyone that interviewed at UAB? I noticed someone mentioned south alabama in a previous post, how is there program? I guess I didnt realize that both had GI fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answers that I got were just kind of vague, not too much detail about training, exposure, or really opportunity for research (which is what I am looking for). Do you know anyone that interviewed at UAB? I noticed someone mentioned south alabama in a previous post, how is there program? I guess I didnt realize that both had GI fellowships.

I dont know about south alabama...
I had interviewed at UAB for cardiology. What I am telling you about GI is what I have heard from friends at UAB. I think they had one of the inventors of the endoscope there on staff for several years, and besides NIH funding that was one of their claims to fame. But I think things have changed... would recommend speaking to anyone you know at UAB..

UAB's GI program has had some serious issues with faculty turnover in recent years, and I know first hand some of the recent fellows feel as if the training has suffered in recent years. They also do a lot of ERCP/EUS there but fellows for the most part never touch the scope. On the other hand, UAB is a fantastic hospital and institution, and Birmingham is a very livable city with low housing costs, great climate, and great restaurants. And the residents are very good which makes the fellows life easier.