This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting, I've always hear more things about Montefiore, although that may just be because I know a resident from there.

Do you think the location of RWJ vs Montefiore would have a significant impact on my training or patient diversity? New Brunswick vs Bronx. Not from the area so don't know much about these programs.
They're definitely different. I don't think one is "better" than the other though. I interviewed at both back in the day and ranked RWJ a little higher than Monte. I matched a full 10 spots above either of them on my rank list though so it was a moot point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They're definitely different. I don't think one is "better" than the other though. I interviewed at both back in the day and ranked RWJ a little higher than Monte. I matched a full 10 spots above either of them on my rank list though so it was a moot point.

I’m biased (and also much closer to the IM interview process) but Monte will better set you up for an academic career and has more intensive training. Also the fellowship opportunities coming from Monte are slightly better especially if you have interest in remaining in NYC.

RWJ is also a great training program and would be an excellent place to train. Also worth considering the living environment suburban vs urban between the two programs and what you preference is there. additionally RWJ is a much smaller program than Monte which is another piece to consider

I’m biased (and also much closer to the IM interview process) but Monte will better set you up for an academic career and has more intensive training. Also the fellowship opportunities coming from Monte are slightly better especially if you have interest in remaining in NYC.

RWJ is also a great training program and would be an excellent place to train. Also worth considering the living environment suburban vs urban between the two programs and what you preference is there. additionally RWJ is a much smaller program than Monte which is another piece to consider

Agree they're different flavored programs, but both in terms of clinical/academic training, Monte >> RWJ. With that being said, you do have to live in the Bronx... or commute 45min each way from UES...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

Can you please provide insight about the Internal Medicine program in Marshall University (Huntington, West Virginia)?
In terms of 1) the program itself 2) living in that area (some people say it is a very rural area and isn’t worth living in!).

Thanks.

I would give away a solid organ to not train as a house staff in New York City

it’s way better than its chalked up to be. It gets such a bad rap I’ve been training in NYC for 7 Years and while I can understand the sentiment, numerous residents and fellows that I have worked with who have come from outside of nyc have found this to be true as well

Does anyone have any information on Cleveland Clinic Foundation/Fairview Campus regarding their quality of training, research oportunities and chances of getting into cards anywhere?

Does anyone have any info on St. Mary Medical Center?

I interviewed there and I was pretty happy with the program. However, I keep hearing that it is a malignant program. I have tried to search through old threads but I couldn't really find anything besides people ripping the program without claiming their source. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have to start building my rank list in the coming weeks. Thanks!

Does anyone have (or know someone I can ask about) Rush's fellowship match lists by year for the past few years? I've had no luck with either the chiefs or the coordinator...

First of all, all information is appreciated. I'm an AMG with decent board scores interested in Categorical IM in NYC specifically in Brooklyn.

Can anyone comment/rank on which Brooklyn IM programs are best in quality of training(hospital resources, teaching, fellowship positions), and quality of life(work hours, scut work)?

NYU Langone, Methodist, Maimonides, SUNY downstate, Interfaith, Brooklyn hospital, Brookdale, etc.

Thank you all for your help!

First of all, all information is appreciated. I'm an AMG with decent board scores interested in Categorical IM in NYC specifically in Brooklyn.

Can anyone comment/rank on which Brooklyn IM programs are best in quality of training(hospital resources, teaching, fellowship positions), and quality of life(work hours, scut work)?

NYU Langone, Methodist, Maimonides, SUNY downstate, Interfaith, Brooklyn hospital, Brookdale, etc.

By AMG you mean American? Not Angolan? Or Aruban?

Because I'm not sure how much things have changed but, when I was a student at Downstate back in the day, I rotated at most of the hospitals in your list and can honestly count on one hand (with a few fingers left over) the number of AMG residents I saw there.

Reactions: 1 users

There aren't any "great" Brooklyn IM programs for a competitive US MD (or DO, tbh). NYU's new Brooklyn program (the old Lutheran Hospital) is good for primary care, otherwise Downstate is probably next on the list, once known as the scut king of New York--though it's improved a bit it's still a workhorse program where you doctors are still expected to perform blood draws and other nursing tasks. All the other programs are almost completely 100% international graduates with a few low scoring DOs sprinkled in. Maimo might be the next best one, Methodist has possibly the most brutal intern year schedule I've ever seen (something like 9-10 months of general floors), and the others I know nothing about or are prematch programs that aren't going to be interested in interviewing US graduates.

If you're a high scoring US MD you should be aiming for the big Manhattan programs (Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Cornell), followed by Montefiore in the BX, if you're lower scoring or a DO then Lenox Hill and Mount Sinai St Lukes/West are reasonable choices. NYP Queens is a community program with minimal name recognition but it's at least a big hospital with a decent work environment (and not filled with scut work) if you absolutely must be in the city. Some of those you could commute from BK easily too.

I love living in NY too but sometimes you have to get out for a few years and accept the city will still be there when you finish residency.

Does anyone know how good VCU's IM program is? It's a "lower-tier" program compared to a few others that I've interviewed, but to be honest, I was really blown away by the presentation and the emphasis on resident education. I really got a good feeling from it that I didn't get from other places. However, it's "rank" (whatever that subjectively means) and the amount of DO and IMG residents makes me question ranking it high.

I've tried to stay away from the generalization that programs with a lot of IMGs are "undesirable" for US MDs, but most of the other places with this issue were community programs with terrible matches and lots of scutwork, so it didn't cause any dissonance. VCU on the other hand seems to be in a good city, a strong university program with lots of research. For reference, my comparison is places like Montefiore, Wake Forest, Tufts, etc. All of which have better fellowships and reputation (subjectively, again), but were not clearly more impressive than VCU during the interview day presentation.

Members don't see this ad :)
U Arkansas vs U Mississippi vs Creighton Omaha
Which one is better for persuing Cardiology or Haem-Onc as a future fellowship? How should I rank them based on overall training?

I have a few questions about each program before I submit my rank list. Trying to remain anonymous. Send me a PM so we can chat!

Does anyone know how good VCU's IM program is? It's a "lower-tier" program compared to a few others that I've interviewed, but to be honest, I was really blown away by the presentation and the emphasis on resident education. I really got a good feeling from it that I didn't get from other places. However, it's "rank" (whatever that subjectively means) and the amount of DO and IMG residents makes me question ranking it high.

I've tried to stay away from the generalization that programs with a lot of IMGs are "undesirable" for US MDs, but most of the other places with this issue were community programs with terrible matches and lots of scutwork, so it didn't cause any dissonance. VCU on the other hand seems to be in a good city, a strong university program with lots of research. For reference, my comparison is places like Montefiore, Wake Forest, Tufts, etc. All of which have better fellowships and reputation (subjectively, again), but were not clearly more impressive than VCU during the interview day presentation.

I would say most academic programs screen IMGs and DO students heavily. A lot of them take the step exams as well and often perform better than other applicants. Having been through it all, a lot of IMGs have substantial research and experience and a lot of DO students work really hard to get in and often perform better in residency than state MDs. Not saying that is always true but everyone else may have a different opinion.

Last edited:
Thoughts on mayo Arizona?
Quality of General IM training, fellowship prospects?

Thoughts on mayo Arizona?
Quality of General IM training, fellowship prospects?
Compared to what?

This outdated list from their website (which you could have Googled yourself, but you're welcome) gives some insight into fellowship prospects.

• Haha
Probably roughly similar. Are you asking from a ROL perspective or as a prospective applicant?

If the former, you know how you liked them and their location, rank them like that. If the latter...apply and see.
ROL perspective. Okay thank you!

Mind if I PM you? I have a few quick but specific questions regarding the program.

Wow! This comment is shockingly melodramatic and full of inaccuracies and exaggerations. You're probably being "harassed" by the leadership because you're not meeting expectations. On the rare occasion that a resident's contract has not been renewed, it was because he/she was unable to meet milestones despite intervention. I have never had any issues with the program or the leadership at Baystate. I've had a wonderful experience there. Maybe you need to reflect on your own personal struggles. Also, the program's budget is not "gone." They had a primary care grant that covered extra residents, which expired. All that means is that the program can except less residents in the future. Admittedly, Springfield is a rough area. There was not a shooting outside of the clinic. It was several blocks away, but everyone got a page to let us know to be careful. However, I find it rewarding to care for the disadvantaged and enjoy working in this area. That's one of the reasons I chose Baystate. Finally, residents do not show up drunk to work--no one would condone that kind of behavior. I'm sorry Baystate has not been a good fit for you, but I think there are many more of us who are happy with our program. I would recommend seeking assistance from your advisor.

Just to clarify, I do not mind going on the record to comment about or document the low standard's of medical care at Baystate; both at the leadership and at the resident level. There's no one in the leadership who has not graduated from Baystate Medical Center, a red flag that speaks for itself. A number of leadership positions have been vacated in recent years, some for assault and battery of staff members!

Please try to be honest on the day of the interview about the program's deficiencies, its dangerous location and have respect for a candidate's time and energy. That would work for both parties.

And, personally, I can name several residents who came to work intoxicated along with specific dates and times. The Massachusetts Board has disciplined several faculty members at Baystate as well including the chief of GI service! This information can be accessed on the Massachusetts Board Actions website (in part). Perhaps, you should consider a course in ethics. It's probably very hard and disreputable living and teaching in a high crime neighborhood in Massachusetts, one of the worst cities in Mass and hard being a tier 3 or a tier 4 program which no one has heard of.

And btw, no one was asking for your recommendation here. Last I heard, my faculty advisor at the Department of Internal Medicine at BMC had been fired for assault and battery of a fellow medical staff. Another interesting story in Springfield perhaps.

I brought up these issues with the ACGME site visitor privately and she was well aware of the reputation of Springfield and that of Baystate Medical Center program. Baystate is a mix of low tier DO's, Caribbean's and IMGs who are unfortunate enough to get trapped there. Perhaps if you could enlighten us as to how you find it rewarding to serve in the high crime neighborhoods in Springfield we could add that to our list of things to consider while ranking the program. Consider presenting prospective applicants with a presentation about the history of poverty and crime in Springfield. Community standards were uniformly low in Western Massachusetts and Springfield probably is the leader for low hospital and community standards.

Attachments

• soa-d-marotta.pdf
    923.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IraJSchmelkin.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
How bad is Springfield Massachussets as a city to live in ? specifically how dangerous do you find it.

Any opinions on Lahey clinic internal medicine residency.

I can comment on the Springfield, Mass part. You can google " the worst places to live in Massachusetts" to verify this. Short summary, do not go there unless you are forced to. It's an old industrial town where the industry is gone. All that is left is crime, drugs, prostitution, violence and broken people. The Baystate Medical Center programs are in Springfield, MA. They are currently doing "poverty simulation" to smoothen the edges of life in Springfield. Some of the leadership positions have been vacated in recent years for assault and battery of staff members. If you go to the Baystate clinic sites in the morning, you can see drug dealers and often shootings right outside the clinic. I would not suggest living there or training there, unless of course you are desperate. "Educational innovation" does not cut it when it comes to poverty and crime in Springfield.

Last edited:
would any of those three residencies be considered malignant?

You will probably get assaulted in Springfield, Mass as opposed to other cities. Worcester is pretty bad as well but doesn't compete with Springfield when it comes to crime. Do not go there. I know the site director for internal medicine core clerkship at Baystate Medical Center has been fired for assault and battery of medical staff. It only adds to the list of issues at the institution and the department. Also, try looking up actions against doctors at Baystate on the Massachusetts Board Actions website. It will speak for itself.

Attachments

• IraJSchmelkin.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Nice try PD.

Poverty simulation will help may be! Or as the old PD used to say " If someone complains of crime in Springfield after coming here, they would be told that anyone who decided to rank this program has to come to Springfield first to see Springfield before they rank the program".
To the old program director, I would like to point out, that people have different courses in their life. Be honest about the course the people of "Springfield" have and perhaps no one will come to your program for training.
" Flying to Ireland to recruit residents by selling sugar coated life in poverty". No other program in the entire United States would do that. Just FYI. That should perhaps tell you that your program and program leadership " LACK MERIT".

Last edited:
just wondering, has anyone interviewed at Brandon regional hospital in Florida with a step 1 score of less than 225?

Does Monte have a "good" fellowship match list? Seen here: einstein.yu.edu/departments/medicine/education/residency/internal-medicine/fellowship-careers/

If you aren't awful, will you be able to match into the top 4 competitive fellowships if you want to?
Monte will not keep you from matching...you will.

Will Monte keep you from matching cards at Duke or Hem/Onc at Farber? Maybe. But it won't keep you from matching if you play the game right.

How do you play the game right? Just want to match to an average Pulm CC fellowship

Former monte resident. You’ll be fine. Plenty of high end pulm/cc matches over the years. Pulm/cc at Monte is also highly active in clinical research. You don’t need to do much to match “average” fellowship. You can do better than that though;

1) be a good resident, work hard get good Evals be a team player
2) start research early
3) do plenty of pulm/cc electives for good letters

Hello folks, Hope everyone is staying safe.

Can anyone please provide feedback/advice/comparison regarding IM residency in Loma Linda IM program vs UC-Riverside program. From the curriculum posted on the website, seems like UC-Riverside has a lot more ambulatory rotations, and thus a more relaxed schedule, whereas Ive heard LLU could be tough if most of your rotations end up being at LLMC and riverside hospital.

From what I know, they both have GI and Cardio fellowships. LLU is a more older and established institute vs UC-Riverside is newer.

I would be grateful if someone could provide feedback from first hand experience.

Thanks a lot.

I am currently a 4th year DO student applying for IM this year. I really like UNLV IM program due to being a university program, research/fellowship opportunities, and geographical preference. I want to go into cards or GI (both are not DO-friendly, I am aware).

Does anybody have comments/experience with the program?

Any current residents or friends of residents got any info on work-like balance at AHN IM residency? FREIDA says they have a 50 hour work week. Any truth to this? Asking for a friend...

Any current residents or friends of residents got any info on work-like balance at AHN IM residency? FREIDA says they have a 50 hour work week. Any truth to this? Asking for a friend...
1. There's a thread for this. Moved it for you. You're welcome.
2. Can we all agree to stop with the "Asking for a friend" BS?

• Haha
You have OHSU to thank for me being an internist. Take that for what it's worth.

It's a solid mid-tier program with good opportunities in both GIM and sub-specialty training.

Last edited:
Probably considered a top 20-30 IM residency program. They have a decent fellowship match (particularly for Heme/Onc past few years).

Probably considered a top 20-30 IM residency program. They have a decent fellowship match (particularly for Heme/Onc past few years).
Dude...I loved that program, probably to a fault. But not even the PD would say it's a Top 30 program. Not that it really matters.

The grandma programs. AKA...all the ones your grandma has heard of. Unless she lives/lived in Portland, your grandma has not heard of OHSU.

Also subtract Cleveland Clinic from that. Definitely not a true top 20-30 program.

Unless it's your favorite, then it's definitely #1!

Then what are the programs ranked 21-30?

Rankings are stupid. In no particular order though, these would be programs that could be anywhere from 15-40

NYU
Vanderbilt
UPMC
BIDMC
Yale
Mt. Sinai
UNC
Emory
Wash U
U Wash

How’d I do?

Rankings are stupid. In no particular order though, these would be programs that could be anywhere from 15-40

NYU
Vanderbilt
UPMC
BIDMC
Yale
Mt. Sinai
UNC
Emory
Wash U
U Wash

How’d I do?

Not bad..... UW and WashU are firmly top 10 according to most who are in the know

Last edited: