Private practice "rankings"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is not accurate if you compare job prospects to other specialties doing an apples to apples comparison of graduates coming straight out of residency training (without fellowship). It would be just as difficult (if not more) to find a cush metropolitan job coming straight out of a radiology, pathology, optho, or orthopedics etc residency without doing a fellowship. 25% of pathologists do double fellowships, 10% of radiologists. Many of the other specialties have accepted that fellowship training is necessary in most cases to get a desirable job. I hope it never gets to that point in rad onc, but lets at least be fair in the comparisons.
Since when has rad onc ever needed a fellowship to get a job? That historically has never been the case.

Care to let us know of a single ACGME-accredited fellowship in the specialty of radiation oncology? What would such a fellowship accomplish?

(Unlike path, rads etc where many exist and actual skills above a competent residency are picked up).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Since when has rad onc ever needed a fellowship to get a job? That historically has never been the case.

Care to let us know of a single ACGME-accredited fellowship in the specialty of radiation oncology? What would such a fellowship accomplish?

(Unlike path, rads etc where many exist and actual skills above a competent residency are picked up).

The point was not that radiation oncology should have fellowships as a requirement, its that getting a desirable job straight of residency is difficult prospect in many specialties, not just rad onc. The idea that rad onc is somehow unique in its paucity of high paying desirable jobs straight out of residency is not entirely accurate. A great paying job in a good geographic location is hard for any specialty straight out of residency.

In Radiology, in 1984 there were only 4% of residents doing fellowship. Today it is more than 95%.

Rads people arent doing these fellowships because radiology has become that complex, its because the job market forced them to. We are not the only ones feeling a squeeze

• Haha
The point was not that radiation oncology should have fellowships as a requirement, its that getting a desirable job straight of residency is difficult prospect in many specialties, not just rad onc. The idea that rad onc is somehow unique in its paucity of high paying desirable jobs straight out of residency is not entirely accurate. A great paying job in a good geographic location is hard for any specialty straight out of residency.

In Radiology, in 1984 there were only 4% of residents doing fellowship. Today it is more than 95%.

Rads people arent doing these fellowships because radiology has become that complex, its because the job market forced them to. We are not the only ones feeling a squeeze
That makes zero sense. Radiology grads and their employers actually use their accredited fellowship training for a purpose. You want to do neuro in a large group? Do a neuro fellowship. Ditto with IR until their recent change into a separate track.

Rad oncs use their unaccredited fellowships to buy time if they can't find a job in their desired locale, or in more rare situations, for peds/protons/brachy where their training was inadequate and they plan on practicing in those areas. There is nothing educational for the vast majority of RO fellowships except to buy time and maybe get your foot in the door at a place.

Radiology was in a bad place a few years ago, but their market is picking back up and imaging demand continues to grow (unlike what hypofx and sbrt are doing to RO workload).

I have yet to see any "exploitative" non accredited fellowships in radiology similar to the epidemic that's been showing up in RO the last few years (Columbia inpatient palliative service, fellowships in igrt, fellowships in pp proton centers, mentored faculty "fellowships" etc).

EDIT: hot off the presses from the red journal, it looks like the majority of RO "proton" fellows aren't even using protons in practice. Talk about a waste of a year

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SCENE: (Rad onc resident office room, academic medical center, Spring 1999. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.)
Bob: Mike applied for the Mayo fellowship in Jacksonville.
Bill: There are fellowships in rad onc? Didn't know that.
Bob: They're few and far between. The only ones I know of are Mayo and St. Jude's.
Bill: Mike is not real academic, what is he doing a fellowship for?
Bob: He found out he didn't pass his boards last week, so you can kind of go in the fellowship year and use it as a year to study. We took Mike out of a family practice residency he didn't wanna be in anymore. He's good clinically but struggled in physics and bio I think. Anyhoo you don't really want to do a fellowship. It's looked down on, except the St. Jude's one. That's good. But that's only for the guys who wanna do peds of course.
Bill: So the Mayo fellowship. It's kind of like a re-education camp?
Bob: Guess you could say that. Mayo Jax is glorified private practice, they essentially use the fellows as extenders but they've had some success with the "re-education." They get some cheap labor and the underachieving resident grad gets some focused attention. Just pass your writtens and don't worry about it.
(The two residents leave the room and head to the darkened simulator suite where they begin marking on fuzzy x-rays with red china markers using long plastic rulers.)

Last edited:
That makes zero sense. Radiology grads and their employers actually use their accredited fellowship training for a purpose. You want to do neuro in a large group? Do a neuro fellowship. Ditto with IR until their recent change into a separate track.

Rad oncs use their unaccredited fellowships to buy time if they can't find a job in their desired locale, or in more rare situations, for peds/protons/brachy where their training was inadequate and they plan on practicing in those areas. There is nothing educational for the vast majority of RO fellowships except to buy time and maybe get your foot in the door at a place.

Radiology was in a bad place a few years ago, but their market is picking back up and imaging demand continues to grow (unlike what hypofx and sbrt are doing to RO workload).

I have yet to see any "exploitative" non accredited fellowships in radiology similar to the epidemic that's been showing up in RO the last few years (Columbia inpatient palliative service, fellowships in igrt, fellowships in pp proton centers, mentored faculty "fellowships" etc).

EDIT: hot off the presses from the red journal, it looks like the majority of RO "proton" fellows aren't even using protons in practice. Talk about a waste of a year

Probably meant to link this paper

How should we interpret Table 5? Despite doing fellowship for the "wrong" reasons, >90% of responds were very satisfied, recommend fellowship and would do again. They captured 84 of all 127 people that did fellowship too. Is it just cognitive dissonance?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
SCENE: (Rad onc resident office room, academic medical center, Spring 1999. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.)
Bob: Mike applied for the Mayo fellowship in Jacksonville.
Bill: There are fellowships in rad onc? Didn't know that.
Bob: They're few and far between. The only ones I know of are Mayo and St. Jude's.
Bill: Mike is not real academic, what is he doing a fellowship for?
Bob: He found out he didn't pass his boards last week, so you can kind of go in the fellowship year and use it as a year to study. We took Mike out of a family practice residency he didn't wanna be in anymore. He's good clinically but struggled in physics and bio I think. Anyhoo you don't really want to do a fellowship. It's looked down on, except the St. Jude's one. That's good. But that's only for the guys who wanna do peds of course.
Bill: So the Mayo fellowship. It's kind of like a re-education camp?
Bob: Guess you could say that. Mayo Jax is glorified private practice, they essentially use the fellows as extenders but they've had some success with the "re-education." They get some cheap labor and the underachieving resident grad gets some focused attention. Just pass your writtens and don't worry about it.
(The two residents leave the room and head to the darkened simulator suite where they begin marking on fuzzy x-rays with red china markers using long plastic rulers.)

Things have changed. About 50 pct of resident passed both physics and rad bio and are therefore “minimally competent”. We are soon to see full IMG. The we’ll be having the same convo again. “Poor fam med chap, he failed his boards”. By then PW will still be in charge but it will just be his brain in a bottle with media, like in the Simpson’s. There will be no escape!

How should we interpret Table 5? Despite doing fellowship for the "wrong" reasons, >90% of responds were very satisfied, recommend fellowship and would do again. They captured 84 of all 127 people that did fellowship too. Is it just cognitive dissonance?

View attachment 269162
They were probably happy to waste/burn a year to end up in their desired employment, never using that year of "education" again.

Unlike the the dermpath fellow working at a skin cancer center, or the neuro rads fellow reading brain MRIs for a large group every day.

You think that's a good thing?

View attachment 269162
Whewie. What a piece of work is man as the Bard says.
93-96% were satisfied/would recommend/would do it again; and of this vast majority, ostensibly ~32% were OK with lack of independence/being treated like a resident, and ~60% were OK with making <=75K a year after 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and 5 years post-grad.
Not just OK with it... they loved it?!

I never say "Wow, just wow." And look there I just said it.
EDIT: And ~127 people over 10 years went into fellowship? That's about 5% of all grads per year? Damning. I have said it before and I will say it again: that's a kind of human rights violation "ghettoization"
ej7dPU6.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1) It's really only like university or academic-based places that need to post a job when they already have an internal candidiate. so that's not the case for Compass (Portland) or Cook County. The Rush job must be real because they keep posting.

2) Agreed - ASTRO site has been a bit messed up for the past 3-4 days with all sorts of unorganized jumbled jobs. Hopefully will get fixed soon.

FWIW the job with our group at Cook County and another site is very real/spectacular. Send me your info if you'd like to hear more.

Whewie. What a piece of work is man as the Bard says.
93-96% were satisfied/would recommend/would do it again; and of this vast majority, ostensibly ~32% were OK with lack of independence/being treated like a resident, and ~60% were OK with making <=75K a year after 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and 5 years post-grad.
Not just OK with it... they loved it?!

I never say "Wow, just wow." And look there I just said it.
EDIT: And ~127 people over 10 years went into fellowship? That's about 5% of all grads per year? Damning. I have said it before and I will say it again: that's a kind of human rights violation "ghettoization"
ej7dPU6.png
It reminds me of patient satisfaction and quality of life on limb sarcoma (radiation + local resection vs amputation) studies (NCI one I think) There was no difference between those who had amputation and those who limb preservation I believe. They were just happy to have survived the cancer.

Reactions: 5 users
I guess don't go to CompHealth to try and find help for work. Just got an email about some rad oncs looking & failing to find work :X3:

pNpQR51.png

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you guys actually think those are pgy5 grads without jobs that’s are looking? You guys are Shameless

you guys actually think those are pgy5 grads without jobs that’s are looking? You guys are Shameless
4 years ago, I had a pgy 5 from my former program contact me right after her boards letting me know her contract had fallen through and she only had weeks to find a job before residency was over. Thankfully she found something in July, but it was several hours away from her preferred region.

$h!t happens and it seems to be happening more often in this field as time goes on post expansion

I personally know two PGY-5 grads without jobs who are looking.

I'm sure there are people looking, but if that were me (and my family) by now I would have just taken one of those omnipresent not great jobs in a not great location with decent pay potential and just make the best of it. Better than not making money and potentially even walking into something decent for a few years.

I wonder the personal situation and priorities of these people. I do not have the luxury of not receiving a paycheck, hence why I was ultimately willing to go anywhere if push came to shove, and others should too in the near future.

I know one of them was looking over wide swaths of the country including the midwest. It's not as if these people are totally unemployed--Comphealth does locums too. I just hear the locums market isn't that great right now to find steady work, especially without juggling a lot of different state licenses.

Another person I know took a job in the rural midwest but was unhappy with the contract/pay. I don't want to give too many details because it's personal stuff.

I know one of them was looking over wide swaths of the country including the midwest. It's not as if these people are totally unemployed--Comphealth does locums too. I just hear the locums market isn't that great right now to find steady work, especially without juggling a lot of different state licenses.

Another person I know took a job in the rural midwest but was unhappy with the contract/pay. I don't want to give too many details because it's personal stuff.

I just had a conversation with a practice out in the Midwest. Just overall it’s just not as great as people make it out to be. They talk a good game about valuing commitment and hard work but it’s nonsense. At the end of the day they are looking to screw you like everyone else.

shameless is calling this a "banner year" despite doubling of residencies and reduction in xrt utilization.

The job market was good this year. A fact. Doesn’t mean that residency expansion isn’t a problem.

The job market was good this year. A fact. Doesn’t mean that residency expansion isn’t a problem.
I am interested in the data that you are using to support "the fact" that the job market was "good". Are you aware of a representative survey?
At my program three residents graduated and found excellent jobs in large cities. From my narrow perspective this was a good year but there are more than 175 other residents whose experience may have been different.

Reactions: 3 users

This is an opinion and anecdote, not supported by data. Your anecdotes are no more valuable than those from others here who personally know 2019 grads that are unemployed or underemployed.

I just had a conversation with a practice out in the Midwest. Just overall it’s just not as great as people make it out to be. They talk a good game about valuing commitment and hard work but it’s nonsense. At the end of the day they are looking to screw you like everyone else.

Was this the Salina, KS practice? Sounds like stories I've heard.

Agree with Evilbooyaa that it would be helpful to have some PGY-5s who are unemployeed or underemployeed actually post here and give a first hand account.

I am still convinced all of this is due to people restricting themselves to either very large metros or else to within a 100 mile radius or so.
If you do that, yeah, you're going to have a hard time.
Would love to hear about someone who would be cool going to Elko, NV or Carlsbad, NM, or La Crosse, WI being unable to find a job. Everytime we hear this it always turns out there deep down is a geographic restriction. (yeah I'll go anywhere, I have no geographic restrictions! Well, of course execepting stuff like Elko, NV, I mean that's obvious to everyone that would never be acceptable to anyone, right?)

Graduated 2 weeks ago. No fulltime job. Applied across the board. No limitations. 3 interviews. Failed radbio but this never came up. Would go into more details, but dont want to reveal too much about myself because quite frankly it's embarrassing. There probably is an advantage to coming from a big name institution but that is a reflection of the market (buyers market: employers can pick who ever they want now). Overall, my experience is the job market is terrible. Sorry if this hurts some people. Will do locums for a year.

Dude, everybody failed radbio unless they had recalls or were a PhD. ABR gave stats with zero transparency. Real world, most people I know failed this. A lot lie about it too. It's remarkable. Don't even know what to study this time. Don't trust the study guide. Plan is to spend 16 hours a day the next 2 weeks memorizing every last thing in Hall and Joiner and pray that gets me just above the pass line. Lots of us are going to be taking for a third time, I promise. Will probably fail clinical because of it. Does the ABR care? No. It's out of their hands. We sent a man to the moon multiple times 50 years ago but the ABR can't change a test date. Impossible they say! Reality is they don't care about us or our well-being.

Sorry your job situation sucks. Nothing to be embarrased about. I'm sure you're very competent and it is a complete travesty that so many of us gave up a decade of the prime time of our lives only to end up in this horrible situation. Mr. Wallner and Miss Kachnic threw us all under the bus. The way they casually brush aside the impact of a failure on a board exam is revolting given the trivialties over which people were failed and delayed a FULL YEAR. People could harm themselves over this. People who are actually very clinically competent. I know people who have had this severely impact their mental health and their family situation. It's truly disgusting. And it brings shame on our entire field. And even a lot of our academic leadership knows this and will admit it, but only behind closed doors.

I absolutely relished watching a certain individual at the Maryland review course rip the ABR a new one. It is comforting to know there are some of our elders out there who do give a good god damn about us and not just about their self-serving pathetically sycophantic leadership ambitions. Probably couldn't treat a god damn bone met to save their life let alone get pulled off the street to take the rad bio exam and score anything other than bottom 1 %-tile. But hey, it's all about protecting the public with clinicans competent in Taqman assay technique right?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Care to cite anything objective to back that up? 2014 was awful.
How has 5 more years of oversupplying improved things?

httpss://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(15)00337-5/abstract

Is there anywhere that's not getting a single gantry proton machine? They are only what, 20-30 million now?

I'm reminded of the Monorail simpsons episode.

What a joke.

Treating with protons is not simple and we're going to end up with a lot of serious toxicity because people didn't know what the hell they were doing and not respecting the serious limitations of proton tech.

Can't wait for the bottom to fall out from this idiocy.

As many postings for "specimen processor" as for radoncs today on ASTRO. Is the specimen processor job market equally awful?

It's better than the constant ads for nurses and administrators I suppose. Or god damned non-MD jobs in LITERALLY other fields like gyn onc. Pretty telling that ASTRO will just take the cold hard cash for an inappropriate job ad and plaster it on a board THAT WE ALL KNOW IS SUPPOSED TO ONLY BE FOR PHYSICIAN JOBS, and not ask any questions about it.

Really, that tells you all you need to know about the state of rad onc and its leadership. An ad is, what, $1000? What's next, advertising for a facility groundskeeper on the astro job board? $11/hour+ Enjoy the outdoors while you study for your radbio retake!

Would love to hear about someone who would be cool going to Elko, NV or Carlsbad, NM, or La Crosse, WI being unable to find a job. Everytime we hear this it always turns out there deep down is a geographic restriction. (yeah I'll go anywhere, I have no geographic restrictions! Well, of course execepting stuff like Elko, NV, I mean that's obvious to everyone that would never be acceptable to anyone, right?)

Treated <50 pts per year? Yeah, that's not great.

A friend of mine asked me to consider opening a center there years ago, but I didn't see any chance of it working. I briefly fished the area, but there didn't appear to be enough buy-in from the local guys and too many established referral trends out of the area to reputable centers. I don't know what the heck people were thinking dropping millions of dollars on a center in that location.

That will bring us up to seven proton facilities in Florida...

It's to the benefit of the practice owner to tell you to work hard and think of the patients when they keep 90% of the billing.

Does anybody know anything about the Carlsbad,NM job?
I do know the Carlsbad rad onc scene was so bad that a rad onc from there literally commuted, no kidding, to the southeast to work every week. This was more than 6 years ago, so even then I had some inklings that the job market was tiiiiight in rad onc.

• Haha
A friend of mine asked me to consider opening a center there years ago, but I didn't see any chance of it working. I briefly fished the area, but there didn't appear to be enough buy-in from the local guys and too many established referral trends out of the area to reputable centers. I don't know what the heck people were thinking dropping millions of dollars on a center in that location.

And CMS certainly isn't making it any easier to build a new center the last several years...

Last edited:
I do know the Carlsbad rad onc scene was so bad that a rad onc from there literally commuted, no kidding, to the southeast to work every week. This was more than 6 years ago, so even then I had some inklings that the job market was tiiiiight in rad onc.

I inquired over a year ago. Don't know why it hasn't filled yet. It's remote, but not that remote.

I was told the previous guy left literally weekend. My impression is he went to Vegas or something to party on the weekends. Southeast, yeah that's rough.

And CMS certainly isn't making it any easier to build a new volume center the last several years...

That’s because at this stage in the game, they literally will cut whatever MedPac says they should and then some. No matter how nonsensical it is or how devastating it will be. They just want to spend less.

I feel like that job along with Salina has been posted filled and then reposted several times over now

I inquired over a year ago. Don't know why it hasn't filled yet. It's remote, but not that remote.

I was told the previous guy left literally weekend. My impression is he went to Vegas or something to party on the weekends. Southeast, yeah that's rough.

Is it a high paying job?

Care to cite anything objective to back that up? 2014 was awful.

Not trying to take a "side," but I feel like xrthopeful and I are on a similar page and figured I'd respond to this. I've made similar statements as xrthopeful for reasons described previously, mainly that I feel like the job market this year was pretty good because the vast majority of big cities where I was looking had at least one job opportunity. I called it "good" relative to the previous few years where several of those cities didn't have jobs (to be fair, not as bad doesn't equal good). We would all probably agree that, if we were to simply state "these 10 cities had 15 jobs" or whatever so that makes it good, it would be disrespectful to the candidates not positioned well to get one of those jobs. Echoing my previous post, but I only pulled off my job by messaging (e.g. LinkedIn), emailing & calling many practices early in the process. Current PGY4s (rising PGY5s): if you haven't started yet, please please start reaching out to practices you may be interested in joining. I assure you that it's okay if you take a few hour break from studying to do this. I was very surprised when I spoke with several friends (PGY5s at the time) at ASTRO last year who hadn't really started the process yet. It very well may have worked out fine for them, but that's risky. Many of the elite groups decide early.

I can't imagine the stress of having failed radbio or physics or not having found a job yet and wish that on no one. It would certainly be easy for a practice to think "why didn't this person land a job last year or why did they fail physics/radbio? Something must be wrong," but as we've written a lot about, you can do everything pretty well and still not have it work out on time. So, in fairness to the individuals not fortunate enough to have found a job yet, I'd like to share something with those on here who have hiring power and are willing to consider this statement from me (a nobody to you): though you may have some innate concerns about competency or training, as long as we acknowledge a certain fundamentally-necessary work ethic and ability or baseline of training of the candidate, please remember that the minutiae of training/practicing the way you'd like them to practice can always come later, but you cannot retrain cultural fit. Cultural fit should far outweigh the details of "didn't find a job as a PGY5" or whatever when choosing a candidate. And on that note, if you're reading this in the future and feel like you work hard and are a genuinely good person (what I value in my team infinitely more than knowing the function of Wee1), please don't hesitate to PM me to ask if I know of any job.

Not trying to take a "side," but I feel like xrthopeful and I are on a similar page and figured I'd respond to this. I've made similar statements as xrthopeful for reasons described previously, mainly that I feel like the job market this year was pretty good because the vast majority of big cities where I was looking had at least one job opportunity. I called it "good" relative to the previous few years where several of those cities didn't have jobs (to be fair, not as bad doesn't equal good). We would all probably agree that, if we were to simply state "these 10 cities had 15 jobs" or whatever so that makes it good, it would be disrespectful to the candidates not positioned well to get one of those jobs. Echoing my previous post, but I only pulled off my job by messaging (e.g. LinkedIn), emailing & calling many practices early in the process. Current PGY4s (rising PGY5s): if you haven't started yet, please please start reaching out to practices you may be interested in joining. I assure you that it's okay if you take a few hour break from studying to do this.

Great advice. Did the same back then

My experience is most congruent with the 2019 market being a year of good options for the 5% of graduates I interviewed.

Graduated 2 weeks ago. No fulltime job. Applied across the board. No limitations. 3 interviews.

Just curious if you applied to academic jobs? I know there are a few places that are short staffed, so I'd be a bit surprised if no hits there. Then again, maybe they have some kind of 'prestige' floor and don't look at applicants from small programs? I dunno.

Maybe it's the equivalent of "Help wanted: entry level job; 7 years experience (in something that has only existed 3 years) required"

On the other hand, through experience with our HR department, they kneecap us worse than anything else. I kid you not, for one position, they threw the application of someone fresh out of school with high grades in the trash while passing along the application of someone who had 5 years experience, 10 years ago before leaving to work in a completely unrelated field.

$400-600k in northern Illinois

Bet they'd consider a new grad if no one experienced bites

Hard to get a job as a medical director as a fresh grad lol. I'm not applying for those because who would take me seriously (unless it's a solo doc practice) as a fresh grad becoming the medical director?