Private/Other Ophthalmology Practices with bad hiring reputations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatNEyeTem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this thread might be a bit contentious, but I'm about to look for a job in the wonderful world of Ophthalmology...and was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with specific private practices? For example, specific practices that intend to only work you to the bone for a year or two without making you partner, etc.

I'm specifically interested in such specific practices in the state of Florida.

Thanks!

-J

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this thread might be a bit contentious, but I'm about to look for a job in the wonderful world of Ophthalmology...and was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with specific private practices? For example, specific practices that intend to only work you to the bone for a year or two without making you partner, etc.

I'm specifically interested in such specific practices in the state of Florida.

Thanks!

-J

I wouldn't think you will be very successful getting a response on a public board, for legal reasons. You would have a better chance at getting useful answers about specific practices by calling doctors in the particular communities and by trying to speak with doctors who might have left a particular practice.

That's true.

So would you recommend calling up all the practices in the city of interest... and asking each doctor's opinion about the practice of interest? Let's say the practice of interest does not want to divulge the previous physicians who have left the practice. Yes, I know that would be a red flag. But how would one obtain a list of these physicians?

Thanks for your response.

-J

That's true.

So would you recommend calling up all the practices in the city of interest... and asking each doctor's opinion about the practice of interest? Let's say the practice of interest does not want to divulge the previous physicians who have left the practice. Yes, I know that would be a red flag. But how would one obtain a list of these physicians?

Thanks for your response.

-J

Most doctors will tell you whether another doctor had an associate in the past, even if they won't want to discuss any details of that relationship. You can also call the local hospital medical staff office and local optometrists. With a name, you can do online searches for that physician. Of course, even if you are successful in locating that person, there is no guarantee that person will want to speak with you or give you details of their experiences, but there are ways to ask questions judiciously that will at least get you the answers you need.

And be discreet. If you are in negotiations or are seriously considering a contract and are doing your due diligence before signing, don't back out of a negotiation and cite someone else as your reason. That kind of thing isn't fair to the people who answered your questions, and after all, it is you who is weighing the information and making the decisions.