~~~Pritzker Class of 2012 Thread~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how bad has it [the weather] been? Are there lots of icy-sidewalk days? I have a bit of an ice-phobia ever since I slipped and broke out some teeth (I am so graceful).

Weather has been cold and a decent amount of snow...yes there is ice on the sidewalk so you will have to be careful but Chicago does a really good job keeping the streets clear and it really isnt that bad

Members don't see this ad.

Weather has been cold and a decent amount of snow...yes there is ice on the sidewalk so you will have to be careful but Chicago does a really good job keeping the streets clear and it really isnt that bad

Wow, you became a donor? I pretty much forgot about this site partway through the application process last year.

Congratulations, everybody, on your acceptance! I'm yet another 1st year at Pritzker (and could have even interviewed some of you...hmm...), and would be happy to answer any questions or offer alternative perspectives.

FYI number one: Don't buy into the "they work too hard there!" myth. We have more than enough time to enjoy being human beings, and we get out plenty (unlike the undergrads, from what I understand). I can't emphasize enough the value of having a true pass/fail system.

Has anyone attended a 2nd look weekend yet? I'm wondering if there's going to be a lot more detailed info about the curriculum changes and how often we're going to be tested.

Also, I've picked up the idea that Pritzker students now are facing tests weekly during their preclinical years, and would love to be corrected if that's wrong or if that's going to change now that anatomy is being moved!

Thanks again to the med students who are reading this thread. Pritzker is definitely #1 in student enthusiasm!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Looque, Glad to here that you are enjoying yourself at Pritzker. I have heard the 'they work too hard there' myth too, and I'm not too concerned about that (it's medical school... you're going to work hard no matter where you go). But I am concerned about spending so much time in lectures. I suppose at second look I will get a better understanding of the new changes to the curriculum, but with such a traditional lecture schedule, how do you fit in studying and normal everyday activities outside of medical school? It seems like other schools are moving towards less lecture and more independent study, which I think might suit me... I learn faster reviewing on my own and don't get as much out of lectures as others do. I loved UC, and think the culture is great, and love Chicago too. The lecture hours are my only concern. Any comments?

On my visits to schools, I find it is easy to get caught up in analyzing first- and second-year curricula, both because it is the immediate next step, and because the form of preclinical learning (classrooms, notes, standardized tests) is relatively familiar. But when I talk with my M4 friends and residents, my sense is that the preclincial years pale in comparision to the exponential learning and growth that happens third and fourth year. I find it difficult to know what to ask about the clinical years when I visit schools, though, because they are so far beyond my experience.

What stood out about Pritzker to me was how positive the MS4s I met were about their clinical training. It was the #1 answer they gave to what they like most about Pritzker. And on an AMSA survey I saw, Pritzker was rated 5.0/5.0 for years 3 and 4. (Caveats: only 8 people filled out the survey, and it wasn't dated). I wonder if any current Pritzker students can comment on their impressions of the clinical training? Particularly with regard to faculty interest in clinical teaching and the med student's role on the team? I wonder if I dare to hope that rough treatment of MS 3s and 4s on the wards happens less at Pritzker.

grats to everybody with choices to make. to give you my opinion on some of this stuff:

RelativeRisk - everybody kind of finds their own way, some go to every class and some never go at all. nobody has failed out so apparently everybody found a way to make it work. if you're ok with not getting 95% on every test you can certainly have time for plenty of activities, but on the other end you don't want to overextend yourself. it's hard to understand until you show up, but you'll figure yourself out real quick once you get here. like you said, the culture is awesome and i couldnt imagine an environment more open to doing what you want.

TarHeel - in general i think the third years are extremely happy with their education, and the fourth years are currently enjoying a good match season so it seems like they must be doing something right. it seems like as the years go on you get busier, except 4th year which is a vacation, but the material gets more interesting so they don't seem to mind.

i'm probably not the person to ask about this, though. when y'all come on your revisits, make sure to go to social rounds in the hospital on friday because many of the 3rd and 4th years make a point to attend and you can ask them all your questions then.

Hey TigerSoup,

I found these links to the MS1 exam schedule on the Pritzker website. It looks like the upcoming fall quarter will be a lot less compressed than 2007's, since anatomy is being moved to its own block in August/Sept.

Good luck to you as you make your decisions.

http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/md/curriculum/schedules/Autumn_MS1_Exams.pdf
http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/md/curriculum/schedules/Winter_MS1_Exams.pdf
http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/md/curriculum/schedules/Spring_MS1_Exams.pdf

Thanks Tarheel, that's great info! Even though there's a lot of tests, I have to remind myself that it's all pass/fail too; in fact, it'll probably be better for keeping up with all the info and not letting myself fall behind.

I'm feeling lots of love for Pritzker! :love: I hope we still get a longish winter break after the calendar changes. I can't wait to go apartment searching on revisit (I'm going April 18th).

I'm feeling lots of love for Pritzker! :love: I hope we still get a longish winter break after the calendar changes. I can't wait to go apartment searching on revisit (I'm going April 18th).

Yay! I'm going on April 18th too! I'm excited :D Anyone else planning on going to Second Look on that day?

I'd like to go to one of the second look weekends, but it's sort of strange that there are so many. Can you get a good sense of your future classmates when they're all spread out over many weekends?

The all-day lecture schedule does seem a bit intimidating. Do people just study all night or what?

At least for first year, there's a pretty long break between morning and afternoon classes, and there should also be less class time on a daily basis due to the fact that the year's going to start earlier for us / anatomy will end sooner. I'm going to try to get an actual schedule if one isn't already provided at 2nd look.

I guess there's advantages and disadvantages to a smaller 2nd look group. It's not like everyone who'll be at 2nd look anyway is going to end up at the school (I'm going to go to 3 different schools' revisits), and it's also not like you're going to be able to really meet everyone while you're there. Then again, with so many revisits I think Pritzker makes each one fairly low key, so the schedule isn't as exciting and people often feel underwhelmed once it's over.

Hey Looque, Glad to here that you are enjoying yourself at Pritzker. I have heard the 'they work too hard there' myth too, and I'm not too concerned about that (it's medical school... you're going to work hard no matter where you go). But I am concerned about spending so much time in lectures. I suppose at second look I will get a better understanding of the new changes to the curriculum, but with such a traditional lecture schedule, how do you fit in studying and normal everyday activities outside of medical school? It seems like other schools are moving towards less lecture and more independent study, which I think might suit me... I learn faster reviewing on my own and don't get as much out of lectures as others do. I loved UC, and think the culture is great, and love Chicago too. The lecture hours are my only concern. Any comments?

Looks like my compadre already got back to you, but just for reinforcement, I'll add my two cents. If you think you learn faster reviewing on your own, then I'm of the mind that a more traditional, didactic curriculum, such as what we have here, is exactly what you need. The beauty about the lecture format is that they're totally skip-able. The lecturers are typically very good and obviously know their stuff really well, but I'm like you: I find my time to be much more efficiently spent reviewing on my own. I pretty much only go to labs, exams, and student group activities, and have had no problems with exams. My rationale for saying that a lecture-based curriculum would be ideal for you, given what you've said about your learning style, is that the small-group arrangements of a PBL curriculum (from what I hear) are simply not very skip-able, as you'd get reprimanded for chronic absence. You'd want to check with people at PBL schools regarding their policies for that, though. But basically, though PBL courses generally have less scheduled time, that's deceptive because all of their scheduled time is essentially required, whereas our scheduled time can hardly be said to be required.

The practical impact of this is that I have a lot of time on my hands here.

I'd like to go to one of the second look weekends, but it's sort of strange that there are so many. Can you get a good sense of your future classmates when they're all spread out over many weekends?

The all-day lecture schedule does seem a bit intimidating. Do people just study all night or what?

I sure do study all night--all night the night before an exam only, in most cases. Life is good; the night time is the right time. Everyone has different styles, though, and will keep up with the material as it progresses in different ways. I'm a procrastinator by nature, and it works well for me, freeing up a lot of time. I honestly don't think that you'll find yourself to be totally inundated in work, especially once anatomy is out of the way.

Regarding the second look weekends, I honestly wasn't a fan of the fact that I was only able to meet a small fraction of the total potential class, but as someone else said, not everyone who comes to a second look will wind up coming here, anyway. All that said, I found the group at my second look weekend to be nicely representative of the personalities of my class. Hah, I have heard, though, that one of the revisit groups this winter had only one girl in the group. I'm not sure how that came to pass.

Someone else asked about the frequency of exams. It's hard for us to comment on that, because they are changing the curriculum quite a bit for next year. We had a lot of exams in the first quarter, but it still wasn't that bad. Second quarter, we went a solid month before ever having an exam, and seem to have had a number of weeks since then without any exams. Frankly, though, while an exam every week in undergrad might seem absurd, I think you'll find that life here really is pretty good. If you're an extreme Type A, maybe you'll think otherwise, I don't know--I can't really relate.

Edit: FYI - I sometimes don't think to log on here, so anyone can also feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)

I know Pritzker has a reputation for having 9 am -5 pm classes, but for the class of 2012, at least, I don't think that is correct.

I've just glanced through the first-year schedule posted online. It looks like there are two hours of basic science lectures five days of the week, and one to two hours of clinical skills/dr-pt relationship/epi two or three days of the week. This schedule is very similar to many schools I have visited.

The huge difference is that in the past, Pritzker had an extremely late start date (late Sept), and first-years had anatomy lab five days of the week in addition to all of the above. With moving anatomy to its own block in Aug & Sept, I would anticipate that the amount of class/lab time scheduled per day will be much reduced from this past fall/winter.

Here's a link to the current M1 and M2 schedules: http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/md/curriculum/calendar.shtml

I am kind of conjecturing here. Sadly, I won't be attending any of the revisit weekends. If those of you who do attend get more solid details about next year's schedule or learn that I am way off base, please correct me!

I haven't read all of the posts, but did everyone get the scrubs?? Freaking awesome.

I haven't read all of the posts, but did everyone get the scrubs?? Freaking awesome.

I too greatly enjoy the scrubs, though I've had to resist taking off the tags in hopes of getting a smaller size if I attend! Pritzker is amazing. I love them for loving me. :love:

Out of curiosity, how do you (applicants and current students) feel about Pritzker being right there with the UChicago undergrads? To me I like how there could be a lot more resources available, whether classes to take or extracurriculars and student performances (though I hear those undergrads are overworked like crazy, maybe they don't have time to do any of that...). At the same time, I was like a little dismayed at how much parts of the campus resembled my own undergrad, as I'm sort of in denial about how I'm going to be a student until I'm a stone's throw away from 30. And even then I'll be an intern/resident, which is not too far away heh.

I too greatly enjoy the scrubs, though I've had to resist taking off the tags in hopes of getting a smaller size if I attend! Pritzker is amazing. I love them for loving me. :love:

Out of curiosity, how do you (applicants and current students) feel about Pritzker being right there with the UChicago undergrads? To me I like how there could be a lot more resources available, whether classes to take or extracurriculars and student performances (though I hear those undergrads are overworked like crazy, maybe they don't have time to do any of that...). At the same time, I was like a little dismayed at how much parts of the campus resembled my own undergrad, as I'm sort of in denial about how I'm going to be a student until I'm a stone's throw away from 30. And even then I'll be an intern/resident, which is not too far away heh.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package from Pritzker yet?

No sir on the finaid package but I've been shamefully late submitting the forms so I'm not a good data point.

In other news, I *finally* booked my flight for going to Chicago on April 17th/April 18th for the revisit. I was wondering, since I'll probably get into Hyde Park around 2:30-3:00pm on Thursday, will there be anything going on at the medical school that I could do, such as sit in on a lecture? I spent the weekend in the area last time I interviewed, and I visited UChicago's Oriental art museum, the Smart gallery, and the Robie House, as well as Millennium Park, the Art Institute, and the Cultural Center downtown. I heard the UChicago bookstore was really good, so I might do that in a pinch. I could also just wander around the med/undergrad campus to try and get a better sense of whether I want to be there for 4+ years.

Does anyone have an approximate start date for fall 2008? I'm sure this information is out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it...

thanks, and hope to see/meet you all sometime soon!

Does anyone have an approximate start date for fall 2008?

Hi Rosiemarie,

According to the schedule that I have from my interview day, orientation starts the first week of August. I can't seem to find the precise date, though.

I agree - Orientation is some time in early August.

Is anybody else considering moving to the Chi a little early? I haven't 'officially' decided on U of C (I will be visiting two other schools, but it will take quite a bit to sway me away from Pritzker), and I'm currently trying to decide if it would be better to take the summer off or if enjoying a Chicago summer/doing a little bit of research would be a better experience.

...I'm currently trying to decide if it would be better to take the summer off or if enjoying a Chicago summer/doing a little bit of research would be a better experience.

Holy hell, take the summer off. This is literally your second-to-last summer off for the rest of your life.

Do move to Chicago early though. The summers here are worth every flake of God-forsaken snow, even those well into March.

I'm from the area (and a huge Cubs fan), so yeah - moving in early would be a blast, especially if I can get some tickets for the games.

And yeah - running on the lake? What a great way to spend a summer afternoon :D.

I'm from the area (and a huge Cubs fan), so yeah - moving in early would be a blast, especially if I can get some tickets for the games.

And yeah - running on the lake? What a great way to spend a summer afternoon :D.

definitely agree with you on that sentiment. lake Michigan is so pretty in the summer :)

Ok, so the housing issue has been covered on here briefly before, but I wanted the opinion of some current Pritzker students on here:

In terms of looking at places outside the Regents, I'm thinking that a walk-up would be pretty neat, especially if I could get one with a nice interior that's sitting close to campus, within two or three blocks. My question is this: do these types of places even exist, and if they do, what's the best resource that you would recommend using to locate them? Any helpful hints from students who have found nice, safe walk-ups?

Also, are there any specific blocks/neighborhoods that you would recommend staying away from for safety reasons?

And finally, how does student parking work if you live outside of walking distance?

Ok, so the housing issue has been covered on here briefly before, but I wanted the opinion of some current Pritzker students on here:

In terms of looking at places outside the Regents, I'm thinking that a walk-up would be pretty neat, especially if I could get one with a nice interior that's sitting close to campus, within two or three blocks. My question is this: do these types of places even exist, and if they do, what's the best resource that you would recommend using to locate them? Any helpful hints from students who have found nice, safe walk-ups?

Also, are there any specific blocks/neighborhoods that you would recommend staying away from for safety reasons?

And finally, how does student parking work if you live outside of walking distance?

Such places do in fact exist, because I am currently living in one. :) The building I live in has 6 singles, 4 of which are med students. Rent is quite reasonable ($665 / month for a very spacious and well-maintained apartment). Parking on the street outside where I live is very easy anytime not during business hours. I can think of maybe one time when I wasn't able to park directly outside the building on the street, and even then, the landlord has 4 spots on the property for tenants to park in if nothing is available.

To give you an idea about my location, I live at the corner of 55th & Drexel, which is about a 5 minute walk to class. As far as safety and convenience, I'd recommend trying to stay around 55th & Ellis. I walk home by myself all the time very late at night (from midnight to 6 AM), and I've never felt uncomfortable. I'm convinced this is because the route I have to take home consists of very wide open areas that are very well lit, so there really isn't any place for anybody to hide or sneak up on me. Also, the police station is basically at the midpoint of my route. The new Ronald McDonald house was also just built right across the street from my building, which assures a cop drives by about every 5 minutes, and there is usually at least one parked in the lot as well.

I found my place because an older MSTP in the building e-mailed the incoming MSTPs about it. Unless you hear something about this on the housing webboard, I'd say the best way to find one is to come a few weeks before you move in and drive around an call numbers you see on buildings to find out what's available.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to meeting you all during O-Week!

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package from Pritzker yet?

I completed my application towards the end of February and received my finaid award notice March 20th (so it took about a month, although I remember them saying it would only take a week or two! i was a bit worried).

Let me say this... they definitely are very generous with their award (thanks to the drastic increase in scholarship money available). they will be sending another letter in the mail showing me more details about the sources of the scholarships.

Good luck everyone!

What would you do differently about your first year having gone through the experience?

And I know we keep going over living arrangements over and over, but for anyone still willing to answer:

Where did you chose to live and why? Would you make the same living arrangements again if you could do it all over?

I completed my application towards the end of February and received my finaid award notice March 20th (so it took about a month, although I remember them saying it would only take a week or two! i was a bit worried).

Let me say this... they definitely are very generous with their award (thanks to the drastic increase in scholarship money available). they will be sending another letter in the mail showing me more details about the sources of the scholarships.

Good luck everyone!

I got mine. They were certainly not that generous... Its going to be expensive to go to Pritzker.

hi everyone! my first post :)

i'm 100% going to pritzker next year, and looking forward to meeting everyone! I won't be able to go to any second looks though since i go to school in Los Angeles. Can someone who went give a brief overview of it-- anything important?

is there a facebook group for 2012 class started yet?

hi everyone! my first post :)

i'm 100% going to pritzker next year, and looking forward to meeting everyone! I won't be able to go to any second looks though since i go to school in Los Angeles. Can someone who went give a brief overview of it-- anything important?

is there a facebook group for 2012 class started yet?

hi Sopinkfleur3! it's really exciting that you've definitively decided on Pritzker! I like them a lot too but am having a bit of a hard time deciding. I will be going to 2nd look in a few weeks, so I'll be sure to report back! Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that you would like me to ask for you.

Also...I think you would be the perfect person to start the Pritzker 2012 facebook group ;)

Is anyone trying to decide between Northwestern and Pritzker? Any thoughts?

Is anyone trying to decide between Northwestern and Pritzker? Any thoughts?

I was chosing between these two schools awhile ago, and for me, it came down to a few deciding factors:

Curriculum: PBL-focus (NW) or more lecture-based (Pritzker)
Location: Expensive, but very nice area (NW) or Hyde Park, which actually has an awesome academic vibe to it and is cheaper to live in.
Research opportunities: Pritzker seems to really emphasize these
Patient Demographics: I believe Pritzker sees more patients from a lower SES background. They may see a greater variety of rare diseases, etc.

What would you do differently about your first year having gone through the experience?

And I know we keep going over living arrangements over and over, but for anyone still willing to answer:

Where did you chose to live and why? Would you make the same living arrangements again if you could do it all over?

I'll take a stab at it. Regarding first year, as a current first year, I'm not sure that I really would do anything differently. The curriculum in the first quarter will be dramatically different, schedule-wise, for the incoming class than what we had, so commenting on the first quarter is more or less pointless. Nevertheless, I'm not one to go to class and I wouldn't change that. I think I've been learning the material just as well and have been doing just as well on the exams as my classmates, while freeing up a lot of free time. I've never felt as if I don't have enough time on my hands. Make it a point to continue the things you enjoy, be it reading, exercising, whatever. You do have the time, whatever you might think.

Regarding living arrangements, I chose to live by myself in a studio situated at 53rd & Dorchester, and have no regrets. It's very affordable ($750/mo with utilities and gym included), plenty of space, private and secure--and, most importantly, right where all the affordable food is (two Chinese places, Ribs 'n' Bibs, Subway, Nathan's Jamaican, Hyde Park Gyros, Boston Market, Dunkin' Donuts & Dunkin' Deli open 24/7, and some veggie sub place all within a single block, and many more when you expand it to two blocks). I eat out essentially every meal and have no issues with money, because each of those places is very affordable. Other conveniences are right around there, as well. It's a safe and easy 18 minute walk door-to-door with the medical school, less than that to the #6 express bus that goes downtown, three blocks from the Metra that also goes downtown, a block from Bank of America and WaMu... all in all, I feel as if I have the ideal location in Hyde Park. I wanted to live by myself first year because I didn't know anyone, and I carry very strange sleep/wake hours that might be annoying to anyone I may have lived with.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. I don't have a car and can't think of a better place to live for the price, convenience and comfort. That said, I'm still considering a move downtown for the second year just for kicks.

Really, in terms of safety (this is my humble perspective), you should be perfectly fine between 47th and 59th Streets north to south, and between Cottage Grove and the lake west to east. If you're curious about a specific location, I'll be happy to offer my opinion if I'm familiar with it, but that's my rule of thumb.

definitely agree with you on that sentiment. lake Michigan is so pretty in the summer :)

Hooray! Runners in the potential class.

I did a "solo revisit" this past Friday and was really impressed - everyone was really welcoming! Also, this time (unlike interview day) I made sure to ask about 3rd and 4th year and really liked what I heard. It seems the patient population is more open to having medical students involved in the care at UC hospitals, which is great. And also that attendings and residents love to take med students under their wing and get you into some great shadowing spots 1st and 2nd year. I think the clinical years and the surroundings of Chicago are the biggest strengths at U of C...

Edit: PS, I may be looking to live with another girl or two in a walkup near campus... (runners most welcome!)

Hooray! Runners in the potential class.

I'm not really a runner yet, but I've been working on it since January (from being a total soft and squishy bum). I can't wait to go jogging along the lake! There's actually a half marathon on September 14th along the water that pretty much starts and finishes right outside of the Regents, and I'm doing my best to get ready for that (or the half marathon on the same day in St. Louis in case I end up at WashU... but there's no lake there so I'm more excited for Chicago's).

I'm excited for the revisit this weekend! Do you med students think I'd be able to find someone to show me their apartment in Regents or one of the other big places? I feel like I probably need somewhere with a doorman to convince my parents that I probably won't be killed in my sleep.

tigersoup,
it'll be cinch to get people to show you around their apartment in regents, windermere house(another big living place (6 from our class live here) with a doorman in a renovated hotel from the 20s) , etc. did you look into getting a host for revisit...chances are they'll probably live in regents anyway hahahah. and when you're here just ask your host and i'm sure they can easily call up any one in our class and they'll let you drop by.
oh and PS: not having a doorman does not equal death. but i do agree it's safer/more calming to have one.

Bluesmurf:
Confession--I'm more of an indoors-gym kind of girl, BUT having beautiful Lake Michigan in the summer will certinaly motivate me to jog outdoors!!! ;)

Tigersoup:
My parents have pretty much decided that I should live in Regents if I go to U of C, haha. I'll see you at the revisit!

If we all end up at Pritzker together, we should all schedule a jog along Lake Michigan! :D

Wow, the Chicago Half's a great course! And $47 to sign up is a steal :). Sounds like we might have a group activity to break up the rigors of Anatomy!

Awesome! If anyone else wants to attempt the 1/2 marathon, we could think about starting a class of 2012 team just for fun or to raise money for a cause we like. I have been slacking off lately, especially with second look weekends, so I better get my act back together!

Just FYI I'm almost positive that I'll be at Pritzker next year. If I go to second look and see Dean Humphrey waterboarding the M1's, it *might* be enough to get me to change my mind.

Awesome! If anyone else wants to attempt the 1/2 marathon, we could think about starting a class of 2012 team just for fun or to raise money for a cause we like.

I'd totally be up for this! I am purely a recreational runner, i.e., not very fast. But I think this would be a wonderful fitness goal to set for the summer. It would be wonderful to have company on long training runs!

Awesome! If anyone else wants to attempt the 1/2 marathon, we could think about starting a class of 2012 team just for fun or to raise money for a cause we like. I have been slacking off lately, especially with second look weekends, so I better get my act back together!

Just FYI I'm almost positive that I'll be at Pritzker next year. If I go to second look and see Dean Humphrey waterboarding the M1's, it *might* be enough to get me to change my mind.

Waterboarding... that's one I haven't heard before...

How'd you guys hear about the waterboarding????????!!!?!!? :scared:

What did everyone think of the revisit day?

PS I just ran 8 miles in 72 minutes... I'm so going to be ready for a 1/2 marathon by September! (Actually I'm running another one in June, but hey)

PS I just ran 8 miles in 72 minutes... I'm so going to be ready for a 1/2 marathon by September! (Actually I'm running another one in June, but hey)

That's awesome! I'm not anywhere near that level of fitness right now, but I'm working on it. Anyway, I'm now officially registered for the half marathon, but my goal is going to be just finishing the darn thing.