Pretty sure I failed comlex PE - help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tqtraq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PE/CS is a bit of a mystery. Hand shaking isn't a big deal, as long as you greeted them appropriately. One ROS might not be a big deal, as long as your HPI was complete. Chest exposed - IDK. Depends.

The biggest red flag is documenting something that wasn't asked or examined. Pretty sure this will result in a FAIL every time.

I'm impressed at how many medical students spend painfully little time working on their clinical skills and note-writing vs studying for Step/Level 1. Yes, you need to pass 1, but you also need to know what to do, clinically. Failing CS/PE is a big deal; I would rarely interview someone who's failed.

PE/CS is a bit of a mystery. Hand shaking isn't a big deal, as long as you greeted them appropriately. One ROS might not be a big deal, as long as your HPI was complete. Chest exposed - IDK. Depends.

The biggest red flag is documenting something that wasn't asked or examined. Pretty sure this will result in a FAIL every time.

I'm impressed at how many medical students spend painfully little time working on their clinical skills and note-writing vs studying for Step/Level 1. Yes, you need to pass 1, but you also need to know what to do, clinically. Failing CS/PE is a big deal; I would rarely interview someone who's failed.

Just curious...but you say you would rarely interview someone who failed the CS/PE. However, with some of the randomness people have been reporting (although I know there is a high pass rate), why would you completely count out someone who failed a test of 10-12 encounters with subjective reviewers? I do understand that board failures don't look good, but if someone fails the test and then passes on their next attempt, why would you ignore them if they are otherwise a stellar applicant? Low/failed STEP 1 shows how much you know. You aren't going to be scoring 250s and then fail STEP1, however, someone can be great and then not say "I'm sorry" enough and fail CS/PE which could potentially ruin their career?

If someone has amazing STEP 1 scores, research, etc and then they fail CS/PE, wouldn't a chance to explain themselves and talk to them in person be an idea? People have bad days and because of 10-12 encounters, discounting their performance for their entire medical school history seems a little over the top.

P.S. I know you are a P.D. and I appreciate your response. I am just wondering your thought process on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just curious...but you say you would rarely interview someone who failed the CS/PE. However, with some of the randomness people have been reporting (although I know there is a high pass rate), why would you completely count out someone who failed a test of 10-12 encounters with subjective reviewers? I do understand that board failures don't look good, but if someone fails the test and then passes on their next attempt, why would you ignore them if they are otherwise a stellar applicant? Low/failed STEP 1 shows how much you know. You aren't going to be scoring 250s and then fail STEP1, however, someone can be great and then not say "I'm sorry" enough and fail CS/PE which could potentially ruin their career?

If someone has amazing STEP 1 scores, research, etc and then they fail CS/PE, wouldn't a chance to explain themselves and talk to them in person be an idea? People have bad days and because of 10-12 encounters, discounting their performance for their entire medical school history seems a little over the top.

P.S. I know you are a P.D. and I appreciate your response. I am just wondering your thought process on this.
Far easier to click a box and prevent actual critical thought and energy expenditure. The bottom line in all things these people do is go from 10000 apps to 200 before looking at them. Get rid of the DOs the IMGs and people who fail anything ever. Then sort by step 1. If the number is too small then maybe loosen the threshold by 10%. Invite these people and then at the interview actually read someone's application.

It's cynical but human nature runs on doing whatever is the easiest and requires the least work. They get satisfactory residents this way and don't really miss out on anything by not interpreting who is good despite a hiccup. There is no reward for doing a legit holisitic review of someone with a 220 for example. Doctors are no exception.

Reactions: 1 user