Prestigious Name vs. Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, writing for advice. I guess this is the same question that is on this forum a lot, and advice from everyone would be SO helpful in this confusing process!

I'm a career changer, engineer-->medicine, graduated undergrad less than 5 yrs ago. I performed really well within my major. I also applied to med school a few years ago unsuccessfully. I finished all the prereqs in college due to degree requirements, mostly with good grades. However I got bad grades in some extremely hard upper level chem classes and have a poor GPA (3.1) and a mediocre MCAT (30)...bad verbal score, other stuff good. Good ec's, and pretty much everything else is in order.

Let's say it's a given that medicine is truly what I want to do.

1. Is this a recipe for a post-bacc program, or an SMP? I'm confident I could do well in either now that I have some direction, I just don't know which makes more sense.

2. My undergrad was very prestigious and I live on the East Coast. However I'd really prefer to be in the midwest for med school and for this post-bacc. I'm wondering how it might "look" to admissions committees if I left the East Coast and went to the Midwest, instead of pursuing something more "prestigious" like Harvard Extension, Tufts, Columbia, Penn, etc. I'm also wondering if those programs are universally looked at as being better in caliber than midwestern programs. Specifically I'm thinking about the Wayne State BMS program because I love Michigan... but I'm afraid it might look like I'm running away from high level hard work, which I'm not.

I would really love some perspective. There are so many options and so little guidance out there! Thank you all in advance!

IgM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd consider RFU and Cincinnati also. Those are good programs.

bump?

anyone have thoughts for me on how it might look to adcomms if i left the "big name" programs behind?

:( kinda desperate for insight

Members don't see this ad :)
if you already have the prereqs done then i think an smp is thr right way for you.

imho you do not need a big name to get a good linkage. what you are looking for when you look at a program is their placement rate. how may people in that program apply to med school then of those how many get accepted??
keep in mind that some smps will attract people who may be interested in outher endeavors (mine for example had people interested in pharm, dental oa, etc)....so that can subtract from the numbers that are accepted into med school. and some people who start an smp decide that this is not for them after doing some of the coursework.
another thing to consider is retention rate. how may people start the program and how many graduate? this should be high...nearly 100%. anything less means there is a good chance for failure and you do not want to risk that.

for example....my class of 2010.

we started with 32, we graduated 29.
15 applied to medical school...all 15 got in.
we also had 3 pharmacy, 2 dental, 1 phd and 1 pa.
some of the rest are applying this summer while working, taking mcats etc.
some are just working in research.

Hey guys, writing for advice. I guess this is the same question that is on this forum a lot, and advice from everyone would be SO helpful in this confusing process!

I'm a career changer, engineer-->medicine, graduated undergrad less than 5 yrs ago. I performed really well within my major. I also applied to med school a few years ago unsuccessfully. I finished all the prereqs in college due to degree requirements, mostly with good grades. However I got bad grades in some extremely hard upper level chem classes and have a poor GPA (3.1) and a mediocre MCAT (30)...bad verbal score, other stuff good. Good ec's, and pretty much everything else is in order.

Let's say it's a given that medicine is truly what I want to do.

1. Is this a recipe for a post-bacc program, or an SMP? I'm confident I could do well in either now that I have some direction, I just don't know which makes more sense.

2. My undergrad was very prestigious and I live on the East Coast. However I'd really prefer to be in the midwest for med school and for this post-bacc. I'm wondering how it might "look" to admissions committees if I left the East Coast and went to the Midwest, instead of pursuing something more "prestigious" like Harvard Extension, Tufts, Columbia, Penn, etc. I'm also wondering if those programs are universally looked at as being better in caliber than midwestern programs. Specifically I'm thinking about the Wayne State BMS program because I love Michigan... but I'm afraid it might look like I'm running away from high level hard work, which I'm not.

I would really love some perspective. There are so many options and so little guidance out there! Thank you all in advance!

IgM

From my experience with applying to Midwest school, they love people who have a connection with them. That comment holds true for the vast majority of state schools. If you want to relocate and are financially able to do it, then go to the midwest. In my opinion, it will put flesh to your statement that you want to be in the midwest. They need palpable signs of it.

As for the postbacc/SMP debate, I would recommend calling the pre-med office at your college and asking them for their opinion. Also, look at some general posts in this forum. Apparently, some think going the SMP route can be a gamble. Get as much info on the pros and cons of the approach and then don't be afraid to design your own path. You might also consider taking a bunch of upper level science courses at the undergrad level and study like hell for the MCAT. If you can show interest and dedication (via taking science courses and volunteering etc...) and a higher MCAT score (btw...30 is not mediocre, but with a 3.1 it would help to have a little higher MCAT), you will peak someone's interest. If you want to go to Wayne or another med school in that area, then attach yourself to them. Also get residency, it will help you in the app process more than you can imagine and your tuition will be reasonable.

My two cents: Don't worry about the prestige factor. Figure out what you want (Michigan) and then make it happen. Move and establish residency, get involved in the community (both general and medical), kick the crap out of the MCAT, and take a few upper level science classes at the undergrad level. Good luck.