Prestige vs Total Cost of Attendance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm, is it possible to land mid-tier psych residencies with DO? If not, will a low-tier psych residency affect the chances of a fellowship?

Yes, absolutely. Anything is within reach with DO, depending on how hard you work and how smart you are and how well you network.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were given a choice between a free DO school and a full price expensive (80k/year) "low tier" MD school, I would pick the MD school every time (barring circumstances 1 or 2).

Pretty sure most IM fellowships are available to DOs...? Maybe I'm more cynical than I realize, but after seeing how many twists and turns life throws at you, if I had a choice between going free to MSU, my school, vs 80k/year (320k total + interest) at some "low-tier" MD, I'd 100% pick the financially safe option and go to State.

Pretty sure most IM fellowships are available to DOs...? Maybe I'm more cynical than I realize, but after seeing how many twists and turns life throws at you, if I had a choice between going free to MSU, my school, vs 80k/year (320k total + interest) at some "low-tier" MD, I'd 100% pick the financially safe option and go to State.

What MD school charges 80k outside of the Caribbean? Literally LECOM is the only affordable DO school (minus the Texas DO for in-state students). DO is usually the more unaffordable option compared to in-state MD.
Also, what DO school gives free rides?

I have a feeling that OP didn't actually get MD and is trolling us. Actully I'm convinced that he's trolling us given that MD schools haven't even released their acceptance decisions yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
What MD school charges 80k outside of the Caribbean? Literally LECOM is the only affordable DO school (minus the Texas DO for in-state students). DO is usually the more unaffordable option compared to in-state MD.
Also, what DO school gives free rides?

I have a feeling that OP didn't actually get MD and is trolling us. Actully I'm convinced that he's trolling us given that MD schools haven't even released their acceptance decisions yet.

I never said I was accepted to both. I sent my applications to both M.D. and D.O. schools, and assuming I'm competitive for both, I could be accepted to either. However, some out-of-state M.D.s are 120k or more financially than many D.O. schools. People have given their two cents and their opinions are acknowledged and respected. I'd be fine with being in a mid-competitive specialty "I think", so I'm also not completely convinced MDs are the only way to go here. Of course in-state MD is the cheapest, but theres only one here, and its a top tier. So I'd be more likely accepted at an out-of-state M.D. or an in-state D.O. or other D.O.s scattered about. I wish I was born in Ohio, Illinois, Texas, etc. where the in-state MDs would be lovely!

What MD school charges 80k outside of the Caribbean? Literally LECOM is the only affordable DO school (minus the Texas DO for in-state students). DO is usually the more unaffordable option compared to in-state MD. Also, what DO school gives free rides?

It was a hypothetical situation I was responding to. I'd pick my state DO for free over 80k/year (and I'm assuming that means tuition + all other combined expenses, which is possible in private schools or non-resident fees)+interest for a "low-tier" MD, but that's because maybe I'm a bit more cynical(?) and would pick the financially safer option.

What does "much" mean in this context? I want to try and quantify this a bit. Is there a 50% chance higher match for competitive residencies, or is it closer to 10 or 20%, or what? I also have job shadowed a cardiologist from a D.O. school and it appears it you want to be competitive, you can.

It's several-fold more competitive. Most residency programmes in those fields don't take DOs at all, and pre-merger there are only a small number of AOA programs w highly fierce competition for spots.

It's several-fold more competitive. Most residency programmes in those fields don't take DOs at all, and pre-merger there are only a small number of AOA programs w highly fierce competition for spots.

I recently just job shadowed a DO neurologist, I don't think its a as "difficult" as you claim to be. I looked up various stats, and many DO schools on MSARS show DOs specialize, and specialize competitively, decently well. I agree its "more" difficult, but I think saying its "several-fold" more is an exaggeration.

I recently just job shadowed a DO neurologist, I don't think its a as "difficult" as you claim to be. I looked up various stats, and many DO schools on MSARS show DOs specialize, and specialize competitively, decently well. I agree its "more" difficult, but I think saying its "several-fold" more is an exaggeration.

Lol, you're a premed making assumptions of enormous proportions . Any bottom feeder from an MD school can get into neurology or mid tier IM, later leading to cardiology. You actually have to be a pretty good DO student to have a chance at allopathic neurology or mid tier IM programs.

You're trying to justify your reasons to go DO. By all means go DO if you want to, but don't misrepresent the facts for other readers. You have no idea wht you're talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, you're a premed making assumptions of enormous proportions . Any bottom feeder from an MD school can get into neurology or mid tier IM, later leading to cardiology. You actually have to be a pretty good DO student to have a chance at allopathic neurology or mid tier IM programs.

You're trying to justify your reasons to go DO. By all means go DO if you want to, but don't misrepresent the facts for other readers. You have no idea wht you're talking about.

I'm not misrepresenting facts. I'm literally looking at statistics on MSARS (compare specialties from various MD and DO classes) that states DOs are attending specialties at a reasonable rate, that saying MDs are "several-fold more competitive" appears to be an exaggeration. Although I agree it is easier for MDs, lets not embellishment "how" easy.

Also, I find it extremely petty than anyone on here makes any assumptions on someone's reasons for making a point.

I care about facts, not opinions. Who cares what you think anyones reason for saying anything is (not saying that in a mean way).

I'm not misrepresenting facts. I'm literally looking at statistics on MSARS (compare specialties from various MD and DO classes) that states DOs are attending specialties at a reasonable rate, that saying MDs are "several-fold more competitive" appears to be an exaggeration. Although I agree it is easier for MDs, lets not embellishment "how" easy.

What are you talking about? MSAR is a data source on allopathic medical schools, not data on residencies

:troll:

Last edited:

It is a fact that you can fail classes/boards as an MD student and match mid tier IM and neurology. How do you I know you ask? I personally know people who did and still matched easily. Not so easy as a DO student, therein lies the misrepresentation.

And we're talking about some of the lesser competitive specialties. You probably wanna up that several folds to tens of folds if you're looking into surgical subspecialties or dermatology. Good luck to you.

You're looking at the wrong data for starters. MSAR doesn't tell you anything useful, you need to look at the NRMP match data.

Are the residency opportunities enormous for MDs compared to DOs?

Yes

Just doing for 120k cheaper, with more headaches, almost seems worth DO.
Don't make dumb decisions
what do you "lose"?
Potentially a whole career in the field you want and having to scramble into something you don't want to do and then having to do that for 30 years
I care about facts, not opinions. Who cares what you think anyones reason for saying anything is (not saying that in a mean way).

Your "facts" aren't facts.

It has the specialties of the graduating class of the prior year.

You must be using the secret edition of the MSAR that tells you about DO grads.

Also, 33% of US MD seniors match into primary care (IM, FM, Peds). The number for DO seniors is 55%. That means 32% fewer DO students go into a specialty. That's a significant number.