Prestige ranking for publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolqueen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which publications are regarded as those of higher "value" by residencies to strengthen your application among the common publication types (meta-analysis, RCT, clinical trial, case reports etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard, don't solely take my word on it. I believe clinical trials and case reports are reguarded as the higher/highest value of publications but again I'm not even a pre-med student yet, lol. Check what I said!!!

Haha... case reports regarded as higher? Nope. They are good, if you don't have anything else. Basic science is always valued the most (it represents the largest time commitment, and ability to take a project from data-->published). RCT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Basic science research is valued over clinical research?
Why is that?

Really? Basic science research is valued over clinical research?
Why is that?
I believe @BrainPains is more focused on the idea of time and the effort put into a project. Basic Science is the core fundamentals of every other science, therefore it's imperative this kind of research be done lots of times correctly.

Looks like my original post was cut off for whatever reason.

Yes basic science is always more valued (regardless of what stage of your career you are in). There is, of course, value in clinical research. Typically RCT > Prospective clinical study > Retrospective clinical study > Case series > Case report/Review. Of course, the quality of the study will effect this "ranking"; a great review can reflect a lot of work and insight, and a poorly done prospective study can be worth little. In the end, and as you advance through your career, most people have a combination of these items on their CV. Early in your career having something >> nothing. Obviously case reports and reviews are low hanging fruit, but they will not have the same impact as a well designed basic science project.

Reactions: 1 user
Cheers, mate!
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question :)