Prestige of an Am Heart Association grant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dark Sandbars

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to get SDN's opinion regarding an AHA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship grant. Clearly, it's good to get outside funding, but is the value of an award from the AHA well known?

Members don't see this ad.

Dark Sandbars said:
I'm curious to get SDN's opinion regarding an AHA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship grant. Clearly, it's good to get outside funding, but is the value of an award from the AHA well known?

I don't think many pre-doctoral students get that (unique!!), and as you said its "free" money. However I think the value lies with what YOU DO with that fellowship grant, rather than getting it.

I got an NIH grant, but I think its probably more impressive with my research, rather than getting the actual grant:).

Dark Sandbars said:
I had an AHA predoc. grant when I was a Ph.D. student. I finished very quickly and I actually had to give some of it back. It's well known, but I can't say for sure if it helped me secure jobs etc. I can tell you that the AHA predoc. grant is awarded using these criteria: 1. Research environment of candidate (most important), 2. Quality of proposal, 3. Applicant's perceived potential. Prelimanary data is not important.

Members don't see this ad :)
relentless11 said:
I don't think many pre-doctoral students get that (unique!!), and as you said its "free" money. However I think the value lies with what YOU DO with that fellowship grant, rather than getting it.

I got an NIH grant, but I think its probably more impressive with my research, rather than getting the actual grant:).

Hi, I will be joining as an intern in Internal Medicine. I don't know how to apply for NIH or AHA grants. NIH has new researcher's program which requires time committment for at least 3-5 years. I will appreciate any help in this regard-the resources, how to write a grant proposal etc.

Thanks!

punk said:
Hi, I will be joining as an intern in Internal Medicine. I don't know how to apply for NIH or AHA grants. NIH has new researcher's program which requires time committment for at least 3-5 years. I will appreciate any help in this regard-the resources, how to write a grant proposal etc.

Thanks!

I would recommend taking seminars that are aimed towards grant writing. You can probably find these through some graduate program from a med school. There may also be research fellowships for physicians which should definitely cover the grant writing aspect. I guess for now you can start off with this http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/index.cfm. Another way is to just talk to med school/grad school faculty who get a lot of NIH funding. They should provide you with more helpful details since they probably have decades of experience compared to my six years:).

But if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. :luck:

punk said:
I don't know how to apply for NIH or AHA grants. NIH has new researcher's program which requires time committment for at least 3-5 years. I will appreciate any help in this regard-the resources, how to write a grant proposal etc.

The AHA has a website for its grants. Look at:
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=9713

On the left side are a bunch of different areas. Click on the one that matches your location.

Good luck!

-Dark Sandbars

relentless11 said:
I would recommend taking seminars that are aimed towards grant writing. You can probably find these through some graduate program from a med school. There may also be research fellowships for physicians which should definitely cover the grant writing aspect. I guess for now you can start off with this http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/index.cfm. Another way is to just talk to med school/grad school faculty who get a lot of NIH funding. They should provide you with more helpful details since they probably have decades of experience compared to my six years:).

But if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. :luck:

thanks relentless and sandbars, I will contact you if I need more advice

Sandbar- that is so wonderful that you received an AHA Pre-doctoral fellowship. Receiving this award shows that you are able to secure funding and that will be a plus when you start looking for Post-doctoral positions.

:love:

Hey guys,
Just a simple question. I am thinking about the research track (fast track) in medicine/cardiology. I have not yet published any paper. However, my lab submitted 2 abstracts to national AHA scientific session and both were accepted for oral presentation. I will present one and my name is 2nd on the other. I am just wondering how much this oral presentation thing at AHA would help my research track application. I would greatly appreciate any idea/comment!!!

Hey guys,
Just a simple question. I am thinking about the research track (fast track) in medicine/cardiology. I have not yet published any paper. However, my lab submitted 2 abstracts to national AHA scientific session and both were accepted for oral presentation. I will present one and my name is 2nd on the other. I am just wondering how much this oral presentation thing at AHA would help my research track application. I would greatly appreciate any idea/comment!!!
The oral presentation (congrats, BTW!) won't mean much in that realm. Aim to get those papers published. Most fast-track medicine/cardiology applicants have a Ph.D. Those that do not have significant research experience.

Regarding: Fast-track medicine/cardiology

This sort of thing is right up my alley, but I havent heard about such an animal yet. Can you elaborate on exactly what this type of program represents or direct me to a web-site that characterizes this?

Strike that last request.... did some googling and hit the link.:)

Thanks!
go to www.americanheart.org and search for predoctoral Fellowships. The deadline for most Affiliates is very early January 2007 for activation on July 1, 2007. We like to think our awards are prestigious. You don't really have to 'give back' unused money. It is a stipend (salary) only - so basically if you finish early, you don't get paid for unused time.